William Henry Perrin.

History of Jefferson County, Illinois online

. (page 73 of 76)
Online LibraryWilliam Henry PerrinHistory of Jefferson County, Illinois → online text (page 73 of 76)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


lin County ; of the whole, there are about 200
acres in cultivation. Mr. Wells was married,
March 1, 1861, to Emily A. Pilson, a native of
Pennsylvania, and a daughter of William and
Eliza (McCardle) Pilson. This lady is the
mother of ten children — Clara (wife of Henry
Pickel), Louis C. Elizabeth, James A., Hiley
A., Charles T., Lydia A., Jessie W., Nellie R.
and Ettie M.; nine of these are now living. At
the breaking-out of the war, our subject, who
was then at Rock Island, returned to his old home
at Plumville, Penn., and enlisted in Company
A of the Second Pennsylvania Volunteer In-
fantry, going out June 7, 1862, and remained
in the service until July 13, 1865, when he
again returned to Illinois. In politics, Mr.
Wells is a Republican.

DR. JAMES HENRY WILKEY, physician
and farmer, P. O. Moore's Prairie, one of the
oldest native born citizens of this county, is
the gentleman whose name heads this sketch,
who was born here April 19, 1825, and was a
son of Carter and Brunetta (Casey) Wilkey.
The father was born in Walker County, Ga., in



MOORE'S PRAIKIE TOWNSHIP.



129



1797. His father was a native of Scotland,
and Carter in 1818 came to Mt. Vernon. He
was a house carpenter by trade, also followed
that of the cabinet-maker. In the early history
of Mt. Vernou, he assisted in many public en-
terprises, among which was the erection of the
first count}' court house in Jefferson Count}'.
In 1840, he commenced studying for the prac-
tice of medicine, and as soon as his course was
completed he located where our subject now
lives. In that neighborhood he continued in
active practice until his death, which occurred
April 3, 1876. The mother was the daughter
of Isaac Casey, one of the oldest pioneers of
this county. Our subject received his educa-
tion in the schools of Mt. Vernon Township,
and at the age of seventeen he commenced
reading medicine with his father. He contin-
ued his studies until he reached manhood's es-
tate, and then after a year or so's practice with
his father, he made his stand in Wayne Coun-
ty. He has since then practiced in Shadville,
White County, Benton, Franklin County, Nor-
ris City, in White County, and then at Macedo-
nia, in Hamilton County. While practicing, the
death of his father occurred, and soon after
that he returned to Jefferson County, and took
up the mantle that had fallen from the should-
ers of his father. He is now the only physi-
cian in that section. He practices over the
counties of Jefferson, Hamilton and Franklin,
and but tew fall under the magic touch of his
skillful hand, and the care of his watchful brain,
but to be improved and to bless the existence
of our subject. Besides his practice, the Doc-
tor owns quite a nice farm of about ninety
acres, situated in Section 36, Township 4,
Range 4 east. He now has about sixty acres
in cultivation. The charge of this devolves
mainly on the son —Thomas M. Dr. Wilkcy
was married, February 25, 1847, in Hamilton
County, to Lucy Goodwin, a daughter of John
Goodwin, a native of Kentucky, This lady
was the mother of two children, one of whom is
now living— Thomas M., born March ], 1848,
Her death occurred May 6, 1850, and subject



was married the second time, in September,
1856, to Mary Ann Houseworth, a daughter of
Jonathan and Rebecca Houseworth, both na-
tives of Ohio, She was the mother of four
children, and of this number there is also only
one living — Peoria, wife of Louis Sheltoh, of
Hamilton County. This lady died in 1863,
and he was married the third time, December
2, 1865, to Emily Darnall, a daughter of James
H. and Mary (Robenson) Darnall ; the father
was a native of Tennessee, and tlie mother of
Franklin County, this State, The result of this
union was three children, two of whom are now
living — James H,, Jr„ born August 23, 1866,
and Carter Wilkey, born March 10, 187G, In
politics, subject is a Republican,

ELI R, YATES, farmer, P. O, Dahlgren, was
born in Ilarailton County, 111., May 26, 1834,
and is a son of Joseph and Nancy Campbell
Yates, The father was a native of Kentucky,
and the mother of Tennessee, Subject was the
oldest of five children, four of whom are now
living. He received his education, such as it
was, in the subscription schools of that county.
When sixteen years old, his fatiier died, and
subject roved about for a number of years
working for farmers in Wayne, Hamilton and
Jefferson Counties, also in several counties in
the northern part of the State, In 1859, he
settled down on a farm in Wayne County, but
only remained there about one year, and then
came to this ooiuity, where he settled on his
present farm. He now owns 110 acres situated
in Section 1, Township 4, Range 4 east. Of
this, about ninety acres are in cultivation, and
about 4 acres in orchard. .Mr. Vales was mar-
ried, January 13, 1859, to Martha Slielton, a
native of this county, and a daughter of John
W. and Margaret R. (Smith) Shclton. The
father was a native of Kentucky, This lady
was the mother of seven children, four of whom
are now living — Isara Riley, Oley, Edward anil
Lillie, Our subject is a member of the 31. E.
Church of Dahlgren, Hamilton County, and a
member of Dahlgren Lodije, No, 486, 1. O. 0,
F, He is a Democrat in |)oliti(s.



130



BIOGRAPHICAL:



CASNER TOWNSHIP.



HUGH L. BLEDSOE (deceased) was born
in Blount County, Tenn., in 1821, a son of
Philadelphus and Mildred (Kendrick) Bled-
soe, both natives of the same State. He was
a farmer by occupation, a Democrat in pol-
itics, and died in 1863. His wife, who sur-
vives him, was born July 9, 1828, but a half
mile from where she at present resides, and
has lived here ever since, making her the
oldest resident of Casner Township. She is
the mother of seven children, of whom six
are living — William M., Eliza L., Permelia
E., Philadelphus M., Thomas H. and James
D. Mrs. Beldsoe is a member of the Chris-
tian Church. She has a fai-m of 140 acres,
which is given to general farming. P. M.
Bledsoe was born December 30, 1855, and
was married, March 28, 1883, to Ollie D.
Henley, a daughter of James and Mary
(Stilly) Henley. He has a farm of twenty six
acres situated in Washington County. He
is a member of the I. O. O. F.. Ashley Lodge,
No. 302, and in politics is a Democrat.

EDWAKD BOND {deceased) came from
Tennessee and settled in Jefferson County
with his parents, Mitchell and Elizabeth
Bond, at an early day. He was reared on a
farm, and during his life gave his attention
to agricultural pursuits. He was a man of
quiet and unpretending ways and was held
in high esteem and respect by the commu-
nity in which he humbly toiled for many
years. He responded -to the country's call
for troops for the Mexican war. and also
served a year in the late war— in the Thirty-
second Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Decern
ber 11, 1850, he married Elizabeth A. Gill,



I d daughter of Joseph and Maria (Campbell)
Gill. She still survives him. as do also
three of their sis children — William E., Mi-
chael A. and Francis M. Mr. Bond died Au-
gust 23, 1874, at which time his farm con-
sisted of 240 acres. Although departed, his
record is with us. and it is resplendent with
achievements which, although humble and
unassuming in their nature, are, nevertheless,
noble and grand, reflecting great credit to
the worth of his character, which was at all
times pure and imdefiled.

WILLIAM R. CHA.MP, farmer, P. O.
Woodlawn, is one of the early settlers of
Jefferson County, having come here with
his parents, who unloaded their small stock
of this world's goods in Grand Prairie Town-
ship November 9, 1829. He was born No-
vember 15, 1828, in Lincoln County, Tenn.,
to Henry and Delanie (Brown) Champ. The
father was a Georgian by birth, was a sub-
stantial farmer during life, had filled many
offices, and was a man who occupied a high
position in popular favor. He died August
30, 1876. aged nearly seventy-three years,
his noble wife having departed this life in
1872. Their union had been blessed with
twelve children, of whom five sons and two
daughters are still living, our subject being
the eldest. His early schooling was ex-
tremely limited — to a single spelling book he
was indebted for all that he obtained. Farm-
ing claimed his attention in early life, and
he has since made that his exclusive busi-
ness. August 5, 1852, he wedded Nancy
Bond, a daughter of Mitchell and Elizabeth
Bond, and by her raised a family of sis chil-



CASNER TOWNSHIP.



131



di'pin, of whom five sui'vive — Franklin P.,
William H , Olive M. , Benjamin P. and Sey-
mour. Mr. Champ has a farm of 262 j acres,
mostly in Casner Township. He is a mem-
ber of the I. O. O. F., Woodlawn Lodge,
No. 522. He has tilled many offices, includ-
ing that of Supervisor, Collector, Town
Clerk, etc., and is a Democrat in politics.
With a possible exception, Mr. Champ is
Casner Township's oldest resident at the
present time. His success in life is altogether
due to his own energy, and it is such charac-
ters as these that insure the growth and
prosperity of the country.

SPENCER S. EUBANK, farmer and
stock-dealer, P. O. Woodlawn, was born in
Lincoln County. Tenn.. May 13, 1814, a son
of John and Susan (Shelton) Eubank, both
natives of Georgia (or South Carolina, as
they were right cm the line;, and here they
were also married. The father was a car-
penter and millwright by trade, which he
followed the most of his life. The parents
removed to Lincoln County, Tenn., where
our subject was born, and after residing in
different counties in Alabama and Carroll
County, Tenn., they came to Washington
County, this State, about 1830. Their mar-
riage had given them fourteen children, five
of whom were living at last accounts -Polly,
Spencer S., Richard, Margaret and Betsey.
Mr. Eubank received but very little early
schooling. He has been variously en-
gaged during his long and active life. He
made his tii'st crop of corn, and it was a
good crop, too, with a grass collar and hick-
ory bark traces, and was the first owner of a
■■painted" plow in Washington (bounty.
With his father, he put up the first frame
house in Ashley, and they burned the first
lime in the county. Mr. Eubank built sev-
eral steam mills, one of them the second in
the county. For thirty years he was en-



gaged in farming and milling, owning at
one time 1,400 acres of land, which he lost
in the flom-ing mill business in Ashley. He
has a present farm of 220 acres, mostly in
meadow, which is devoted to stock-raising
and grazing. He winters large herds of stock
in Missouri and Arkansas and disposes of
them in the Northern markets. He was
married to Sally White, a daughter of Stin-
son White. She died in 1875. the mother
of fourteen children, of whom seven are liv-
ing — James, Anrow, Emily, Richard, Robert,
Susan and Margaret. Politically, Mr. Eu-
bank is a Republican. .41though advanced
in years, he is still hale and hearty, and en-
gages in active every-day wo'"k.

THOMAS J. GASKINS, farmer, P. O.
Woodlawn, is a native of Clark County, Ind.,
born August 23, 1838, a son of Elias and
Mary (Bear) Gaskins, lie a native of Ohio
and she of Indiana. The father was a
farmer, and died in 1882, aged nearly seven-
ty-three years; the mother is still living.
The married life of the old folks had been
blessed with eleven children, seven of whom
still survive — Thomas J., Sarah, Harriett,
Owen, Mary, Martha and Leah. When Mr.
Gaskins was quite small, his parents came to
Jefferson County, and here he obtained what
little education was afforded by the common
schools. He started in life as a tiller of the
soil, and has been always thus engaged,
having at present a farm of 105 acres, which
is devoted to farming in its various branches.
March 7. 1801, he married Sarah E. West-
cott, born June 4, 1830, a daughter of John
D. and Margaret S. (Willis) Westcott, he
born September 12, 1803, and died Septem-
ber 29, 1850. and she born August 24, 1804,
and died November 30, 1858. Mr. and Mrs.
Gaskins have five children — W^illiam T. ,
born March 23,1862; Mary R. E., February
27, 1864; Francis M., November 19, 1866;



132



BIOGKAPHICAL:



Annie S. C, July 7, 1869; and Harriett E.
I., February 27, 1872. Our subject and wife
are members of the Christian Church. Polit-
ically, he is a Democrat.

THOMAS W. HARVEY, farmer, P. O.
Woodlawn, was born June 27, 1830, in
Hampshire CounLy. Va. (now Weat Vir-
ginia), to Zachariah and Betsey (Ward) Har-
vey, both natives of Virginia. His father
wa-i a fjirmer by occupation, and was in the
war of 1812. The parents had fourteen chil-
dren, only two of whom are now livings
Ann and Thomas W. The latter received
what little education the old subscription
schools afforded. At the age of five, he re-
moved with his pa-'ents to Tazewell County,
111., where the mother died. Shortly after-
ward, the father came to Jefferson County,
and here our subject has since resided. His
present farm consists of 160 acres, which is
given to farming in its general branches.
He was united in marriage, July 23, 1852,
to Catharine Watkius, a daughter of Samuel
and Barbara (Bear) Watkins, and the union
has been blessed with fourteen children,
seven of whom are now living — Mary E.
(wife of Simeon L. White), John H. , Isaac
Z., Elijah B., Leah F., Thomas J. and Bar-
bara L. Mr. Harvey was a member of the
I. O. O. F. until his lodge broke up. He
and wife are members of the Southern Meth-
odist (/burch. He has tilled the offices of
Supervisor, Assessor. Deputy Sheriff and
Constable, and iu politics gives his support
to the Democratic party.

THOMAS KELLY, farmer, P. O. Wood-
lawn, is a native of County Galway, Ireland,
born September 25, 1829, the eldest child of
Edward and Ma«-y Kelly, both natives of the
same cotmtry. His parents had a large fam-
ily of children, our subject being the only
one in America. He spent his early life in
Ireland, and iu 1849 embarked for the



United States, landing in New Orleans. In the
spring of 1852, he came to Jefferson Coun-
ty, where he has since resided, with the ex-
ception of several years' residence in the ad-
joining county of Washington. He has been
twice married, first to Catharine Hayes, who
bore him one child — Ashford — and after-
ward to Lucinda (Green) Pitts, by whom he
has four children, of whom two are living —
Hattie C. and Charles W. In January, 1862,
Mr. Kelly enlisted iu the Forty- ninth Illinois
Volunteer Infantry, Col. Morrison, and was
in many heavy engagements throughout the
Mississippi and Western campaigns. He re-
ceived a severe wound in the left leg at the
battle of Fort Donelson, but served his
three years of enlistment and was mustered
out at Springfield. He and wife are mem-
bers of the Baptist Church, in which he is
also a licensed preacher. He has been Jus-
tice of the Peace for seven years in succes-
sion, and has filled many other offices. Polit-
ically, he is a Democrat. Although abrupt
and decisive in speech, the Squire is, never-
theless, courteous and considerate, and 'is
ever ready to give his support to enterprises
calculated for the public good.

JOHN KENDALL, farmer, P. O. Ashley,
was born in Scioto County, Ohio, January
5, 1823, the eldest son of William and
Christina (Lawson) Kendall, he a native of
Pennsylvania, and she of Virginia. The
father was first married to a Miss Brown,
who bore him seven children, only one of
whom survives — Thomas — aresident of Cleve-
land, Ohio. Of his second marriage, four
children are now living — John, Jeremiah,
Susan and Louvina. William Kendall was
a surveyor and located a great amount of
land in Ohio, and also assisted in laying
out Portsmouth, that State. He was engaged
in the furnace business in Scioto County, and
also steamboat building, and built many of



CASNER TOWNSHIP.



133



the first to run on the Ohio River. He was
a member of the State Legislature for many
years, and at his death was an honored mem-
ber of the State Senate. He was a Whig in
politics, and during his life was actively
identified with numberless popular enter-
prises of various kinds. He served in the
war of 1812. John Kendall, the subject of
these lines, obtained a little schooling in
his native county, and was raised on the farm.
He was in the mercantile and also coal bus-
iness in Portsmouth, Ohio, and was after-
ward railroad agent for two years at Jack-
son, same State, after which he came to
Jefierson County and located on his present
place, which now consists of 320 acres, with
a large orchard and the various attributes of
a good farm. He was first married to Louisa
Lucas, who died a short time after her mar-
riage. His second marriage was with Louisa
J. (Stamper) Martin. Mr. Kendall has tilled
many minor offices, and is the present School
Treasurer of Casner Township. He is a
Republican in politics. He holds a high
position in popular esteem, and his humble,
yet vigorous life, sets but another example
that is worthy of emulation by all.

THOMAS B. LACEY, farmer, P. O.
Woodlawn, was born February 17, 1827, in
St. Clair County, 111., to Joshua and Ma-
linda (Gooding) Lacey, the father a native of
Tennessee and the mother of Kentucky.
Joshua Lacey was a tiller of the soil, and
came with his father to Illinois Territory
about 1807 and settled in what is now Madi-
son County. He served in the war of 1812,
as did also several of his brothers. He died
in June, 1858, leaving his wife, who is yet
living. Their married life had been blessed
with ten children, of whom six are living -
Annio, Thomas B., J. R., Thompson, Cynthia
and Permelia. The early education of our
subject was limited to what little was ob-



' tainable in the early schools of his native
county. In 1848, he came to Jefferson Coun-
ty and taught two terms of school at Jor-
dan's Prairie. He returned to St. Clair
County, and was there married to Eliza Mc-
CuUey. a daughter of John and Matilda (Nel-
son) McCulley, and the union has been
blessed with twelve children, of whom there
are now living— John O., Laura A., Matilda
J., Joshua v., Charles A., Hugh B., Thomas
M., Myrtle Belle, Lillian and Lorenzo D.
Mr. Lacey is a member of the I. O. O. F.,
Woodlawn Lodge, No. 522, in which he was
a charter member also. He belongs to the
Methodist Church; has tilled many minor
offices, including that of Supei'visor, Justice
of the Peace, etc., and in politics votes the
Republican ticket. He has a good farm and
residence in Casner Township.

THOMPSON LACEY, farmer, P. O.
Woodlawn, is a native of St. Clair County,
111., born September 1, 1834, a son of
Joshua and Malinda (Gooding) Lacey. (See
sketch of T. B. Lacey elsewhere.) He ob-
tained his early education in the schools of
his native county, and started in life as a
farmer. He was united in marriage to
Nancy Reed, a daughter of Bird and Emily
Reed, and the union has been blessed with
eight children — America, Lucinda, Charles
S., Robert L., Logan B., Permelia, Frederick
and Emma. Mr. Lacey came to Jefferson
County in 1858, and has resided here ever
since, with the excej)tion of returning to St.
Clair County for a few months. He has a
farm of eighty acres, and engages in general
farming. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.,
W'oodlawn Lodge, 'No. 522, and, with his
wife, of the Methodist Church. He votes
the Republican ticket.

DAVID ROACH (deceased) was born in
Ireland and came to America when small.
He was a son of Frank Roach. In early life



134



BIOGRAPHICAL:



he learned the trade of shoe-making, and was
thus engaged for several years, mostly in
Boston, Mass. Here he was united in
marriage to Mary A. Riley, who still sur-
vives him. She is a daughter of James
and Margaret Riley. In February, 1856,
Mr. Roach came West and located in Jef-
ferson County, and at tirst boarded hands,
then working on the railroad. Shortly after-
ward, he pui'chased the place his widow now
lives on. which consists of 191 acres, which
is devoted to farming in its various branches.
Mr. Roach died in ISSl, leaving a widow
and seven children —Frank P., Sarah M.
and David R (twins), Annie. Louisa, Isa-
belle and Charles. Mr. Roach was a highly
respected citizen of Jefferson County. He
gave liberally to church and school purposes,
and Lis material assistance was forthcoming
for the aid of all enterprises calculated
for the good of the community, his generos-
ity ofttimes exceeding his actual means.
The grim hand of death cannot blot out,, but
only brightens with a perpetual glow the
footprints of such noble lives, the thoughtful
study of which tends to the edification and
enlightenment of all mankind.

JOHN M. SEVERS, farmer, P. O. Ash-
ley. Abram Severs was born in Indiana.
He was a farmer in early life, but in later
years engaged in the saw mill business in
Jefferson County, being the owner of several
different mills. He married Rebecca C.
Dubrise, a native of Tennessee, and raised a
family of thirteen children, eight of whom
are now living — John M. , Eliza J., Joel F.,
William A., Abraham L., Nancy R. , Dora
B. and Laura A. John M. , the subject of
these lines, was born May 26. 18-16. in this
county, in which he obtained his early edu-
cation, and which he has always made his
home. He has been a farmer all bis life,
his present farm consisting of eight}' acres,



which is devoted to farming in its various
branches. In February, 1865. ho enlisted
in the One Hundred and Sixtieth Ohio Vol-
unteer Infantry, Col. Stevenson, and was at
Tullahoma and Memphis, at which latter
place he was mustered out at the close of the
war. He was united in marriage, January 7,
1872, to Cansada McMillion, a daughter of
Merediths, and Caroline (Carter") McMillion.
This union has been blessed with live chil-
dren, two of whom are living — Emery E. ,
born December 12, 1S74; and Frank M.. May
21, 1880. Politically, Mr. Severs is a Re-
publican.

JAMES WOOD, farmer, P. O. Woodlawn.
was born in Saline County, 111., March 30,
1817, a son of Alfred and Mary (Jackson)
Wood, he a native of Tennessee and she of
South Carolina. The father was a son of
William Wood, who was known throughout
the country as " Roaring Billy." Alfi-ed
Wood was a farmer by occupation; was in
the war of 1812, and was accidentally killed
when our subject was small, by a limb strik-
ing him while felling a bee tree. The par-
ents were blessed with six children — James,
and Leonard, who resides in Texas, being the
only ones now living. James received but a
very limited schooling, his parents being in
poor circumstances. There were no winter
schools at that time, and his father needed
his assistance in the summer in making the
crops He has always given his attention to
farming pursuits, his present property con-
sisting of 320 acres, and he has given largely
to his children. He was married to Marga-
I'et A. Dyer, a daughter of Martin Dyer, and
by her had a family of nine children, of
whom six still survive — Francis, John.
Pierce. Rodum, Isaac and Annie. Mr. Wood
has filled many minor ofilces. Politcially. he
has always been a Democrat. He is one of
Casner Township's respected citizens, and,



FAHRINGTON TOWNSHIP.



135



although advanced in years, is still actively
engaged in every- day farm vpork.

WILLIAM A. WRIGHT, farmer, P. O.
Kichview, is a native of Rockingham Coun-
ty, N. C, born July 14, 1827, to George W.
and Susan A. (Wrion) Wright, both of the
same State. His father was a farmer; was
in the war of 1812; was a strong Democrat
of the Jacksonian type, and was identified with
many popular enterprises. He died in 1846.
His noble wife still .survives him, at the ad-
vanced age of eighty-nine years. The ven-
erable lady has lived in this vicinity for up-
wards of fifty years, and is still quite hale
and vigorous, the hand of time having
touched her lightly. Their marriage was
blessed with seven children, of whom three
are now living — James M. , William A and
George W. Mr. Wright's parents moved to
Marion County, this State, when he was



about four years old. His father was in
poor circumstances, and was unable to give
his children an adequate schooling. After
several years' residence in Marion County,
our subject removed to Washington County,
and about two years later to Jefferson Coun-
ty, which has since been his home. He has
a farm of 120 acres, and engages in general
farming. October 11, 1848, he wedded
^lary A. Martin, a daughter of James M.
and Mary (McCrackeu) Martin, and they
have one child — Sarah A. — wife of Amos
Downs, of Casner Township. Mr. Wright,



Online LibraryWilliam Henry PerrinHistory of Jefferson County, Illinois → online text (page 73 of 76)