William Henry Perrin.

History of Jefferson County, Illinois online

. (page 74 of 76)
Online LibraryWilliam Henry PerrinHistory of Jefferson County, Illinois → online text (page 74 of 76)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


his wife and his aged mother are all mem-
bers of the Christian Church. In politics, he
is a Democrat. Mr. Wright's reputation is
above the slightest reproach. He is recog-
nized as a humble and honest man, always
seeking opportunities to do good, and of
such men the people feel justly proud.



FARRINGTON TOWNSHIP.



CHARLES S. BURKE, farmer, P. O.
Pigeon, was born in Jefferson County Janu-
ary 31, 1854, and is a son of Joseph F.
Burke, of this township. Our subject was
brought up on the farm and has always been
a farmer. He was married, in 1876, to Miss
Mary E. Hutcherson, by whom he had two
children, viz., Augustus C and Mary E.
Mi's. Burke died November 10, 1881, and on
the 15th of March, 1883, Mr. Biu-ke married
Miss Ruannah J. Fults, daughter of Isaac
Fults, of Allen County, Ind. Mr. Burke
owns eighty acres of valuable land and re-
sides on Section 35.

WILLIAM A. DALE is a native of,Smith
County, Tenn., born February 17, 1814.
His father, William Dale, was born in Mary-
land. Our subject came to this county in



March, 1839, where he has since resided.
He was married, in 1834, to Martha John-
son, by whom he had ten children; of these but
two are living, viz., James and Nancy. Mrs.
Dale died November 2, 1864, and he again
married, September 30, 1865, to Mrs. Sarah
White. She had three children by her first
husband, one living, viz., Frances. Mr.
Dale is a member of the Baptist Chm'ch. He
was Captain of the militia company that
used to drill at Moore's Prairie.

PETER DAMITZ, farmer, P. O. Logans-
ville, is a native of Prussia, and was born
April 8, 1840. His father, Ernst Damitz,
brought his family to Warren County, 111.,
in 1847, where he died in February, 1883,
at the age of seveaty-nine years. Our sub-
ject went to California in 1802, where he



136



BIOGRAPHICAL



learned the stone mason's trade. He worked
at his trade also in Nevada, Utah, IMontana
and Idaho. He traveled through Colorado,
and returned to Illinois in 1866. The next
year he went to Lynn County, Kan. , where
he followed his trade and farmed. Mr.
Damitz has built enough stone fence to
reach half way from Mount Vernon to St.
Louis. In 1876, he married Mrs. Sai-ah A.
"Wagner, who died when on their way to
Colorado in 1878. Mr. Damitz again mar-
ried, in February, 1880, Mary A., daughter
of Lewis Cooper. They have one child —
Lewis E.

EGBERT FRENCH, farmer and stock-
raiser, P. O. Pigeon, was born in Harrison
County, Ind., February 13, 1832, and is a
son of Mason French (deceased) a native of
Virginia. Mr. French was brought up on
the farm and attended a subscription school
in a log cabin and sat on a slab bench. He
came to Jefferson County in March, 1854.
He was married to Eliza J. Matheney, by
whom he had fourteen children, nine living
- -Samantha A., Sarah D., M. Hamilton,
John N., Albion T. and Albert C. (twins),
Viola B., Robert W. and Agnes M. Mr.
French was Constable of this township two
years. He owns 280 acres of land. Has
been a member of the United Brethren
Church for forty years.

SAMUEL GREENWALT, farmer, P. O.
Logansville, was born in Wayne County,
111., April 18, 1841, and is a son of David
Greenwalt (deceased), a native of Kentucky,
who came to Wayne County about 1820.
Our subject was brought up on the farm and
educated in the common schools. He was
married. March 13, 1865, to Ellen Harvey,
by whom he has had eleven childr^^n, eight
living— Martha C, Olive R., Annie E., Mar-
garet, George S. , Bertha, Frederick and
Walter. Mr. Greenwalt came to this county



in the fall of 1865. He was a soldier in the
late war for Uncle Sam three years in Com-
pany K, Forty-ninth Regiment Illinois Vol-
unteer Infantry, and jiarticipated in the bat-
tles of Fort Donelson, Pittsburg Land-
ing, Tupelo. Little Rock. Pleasant Hill. La.,
Fort Derusa, La., Nashville, and others. He
owns 240 acres of valuable land, and is en-
gaged in farming and stock-raising. He
held the office of Highway Commissioner for
three years.

DR. L. B. GREGORY, farmer and stock-
raiser, P. O. Logansville. The subject of
this sketch was "hom in Simpson County,
Ky., February 19, 1826, and is a son of Ben-
jamin Gregory (deceased), a native of North
Carolina, who brought his family to this
county in 1832, where our subject has since
resided, except a short time in Missouri. He
was reared on the farm and educated in a
subscription school, in a log cabin with dirt
floor, split pole seats or benches, and no
window — just a large door. He graduated
from the Cincinnati Medical College in
1856. He at once began the practice of
medicine in his neighborhood, and built up
a large practice He has been trying to give
up his practice, but has freouent calls from
fi'iends. The Doctor began life without a
dollar; he educated himself, and' is therefore
a self-made man. He now owns 1,400 acres
of valuable land, and is extensively engaged
in fanning and stock-raising and dealing in
stock. He also has a general store, in which
he does a ^ood business. His land is di-
vided into seven farms. He maiTied Eliza
Cochran, bv whom he has had eight chil-
dren, seven living — Charley, Mary E., Le-
ander M. , Sophronia, Lenna B., Ida and
Leona. The Doctor also has the post office,
name Logansville. He is the present Su-
pervisor for Farrington Township; resides
on Section '^4.



FARRINGTON TOWNSHIP.



137



NOAH HYRE, farmer, P. O. Logansville,
was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, July
15, 1844, and is a son of Absalom Hyre (de-
eeased), a native of the same county. Our
subject was brought up on a farm, and has
been a farmer for the most part all his life.
He is also a cai'penter by trade, and carries
that on in connection with farming. He was
married, December, 1866, to Caroline Hack-
ett, by whom he has had eight children; of
these six are living — Flora B., Harriet J.,
Charles W., John P.. Maud R. and .James V.
Mr. Hyre owns forty acres of land.

JOHN W. JOHNSON, farmer and me-
chanic, P. O. Pigeon, is a native of Nash-
ville, Tenn., and was born July 17, 1831.
His father, William B. Johnson (deceased),
was also a native of Nashville, and brought
his family to this county in the fall of 1831,
when the wolves were howling, and panthers,
bears and wild cats were roaming at will
through the dense forests of this then wil-
derness. Our subject attended a subscrip-
tion school in a log cabin with puncheon
floor, clapboard door, stick chimney, greased
paper over a crack in the wall for a window.
He was married in June, 1854, to Caroline
Payne, a daughter of Joseph Payne (de-
ceased). They had seven children, five liv-
ing, viz., Mary (Webb), Josejih L. (in Ari-
zona), Emma D., Hattie C. and Laura. Mrs.
Johnson died in March, 1871. She was a
member of the Methodist Church, as also are
Mr. Johnson and the most of his family.
Mr. Johnson is also a Mason in good standing.
He owns 320 acres of land and is engaged
in farming, stock-raising and blacksmithing.
He also owns a set of buhrs for grinding
corn, which is propelled by steam power.
These buhrs were cut from a large bowlder
in this county by a Frenchman from St.
Louis in 1817. They were used many years
in an ox-tread mill; then they lay idle for



about thirty years. They do first-class work,
are tifty inches in diameter and grind faster
than any other set of stones in Jefferson
County.

PERRINGTON T. MAXEY (deceased).
The subject of this sketch was born in this
county September 10, 1822, and was a son
of Elihu Maxey (deceased), a native of Ten-
nessee, and a pioneer of JefTerson County.
Mr. Maxey was brought up on a farm and
educated in the old-fashioned subscription
school (for a description of the pioneer
schoolhouses see biographies of John W.
Johnson and Dr. Gregory of this township).
He was married, February 19, 1846, to Har-
riet E., daughter of William B. Johnson
(deceased), and a sister of the well-known
John W. Johnson, of this township. They
had eight children, five living — Frances M..
Ellen M., Emma L., Horace T. and Frank-
lin M. Mr. Maxey was a blacksmith by trade;
also carried on the farm. He died April 13,
1865, leaving his family a farm of 160 acres
on Section 29, where his widow and son
Franklin still reside. Mr. Maxey was a
worthy member of the Methodist Episcopal
Church.

DANIEL E. MILNER. farmer. P.O. Hick-
ory Hill, was born in Wayne County, 111. ,
February 21, 1849, and is a son of John
Milner (deceased) a native of Grayson Coun-
ty, Ky. Our subject was brought up on the
farm and received his education in the com-
mon schools and the High School of Xenia,
111. He wont to Missouri in 1876, where he
engaged as sawyer for four years. In June,
1881, he came to this county, was married
January 27, 1881, and has one child— Leola
V. He owns eighty acres of land.

WILLIAM WILSON, farmer. P. O. Lo-
gansville,wa8 born in Licking County, Ohio,
August 12, 1812, and is a son of James Wil-
son fdeceased). Our subject came to this



138



BIOGRAPHICAL:



township in 1851, among the deer and wolves.
He married Susan Boudinot, a great niece
of the eminent and philanthropic Hon. Dr.
Boudinot, of CoJonial Congress fame. They
have had nine children, seven living — Caro-
line, Horace, William E., Harriet (Coyle),
Mary (Stonesifer), Kate (Ellis), and Ann L.
(Pearce). Mr. Wilson was eleven months in
the late war in Company I, Forty-eighth Reg-
iment Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He was
disabled and discharged from duty. He now
di-aws a pension; he owns 120 acrts of land.
WILLIAM L. YOUNG, farmer and mer-
chant, P. O. Pigeon, was born in White
County, Tenn. . December 24, 1843, and is a
son of Robert S. Young (deceased), a native
of Kentucky, who brought his family to this
county in 1854. Our subject was reared on
the farm and educated in the common
schools. He is a farmer and merchant at
Farrington. He married Laura C. Byard,
by whom he has had seven children, six living
— John G., James E., Cora C, Adda R., and



infant boy and girl (twins). Mr. Young es-
tablished his store in July. 1880, keeps a
general stock and does a good business. He
owns 120 acres of laud, is a member of the
Masonic order. Mr. Young has held several
ofi^ces of trust.

JAMES B. YOUNG, farmer, P. O. Pig-
eon, was boru in White County, Tenn.,
March 27, 1852, and is a son of Robert S.
Young (deceased). Mr. Young was brought
to this county by his parents in 1854; ho
was brought up on the farm and educated in
the common schools. He taught school for
five winters. Since that time Mr. Young
has devoted all his time and attention to thfi
farm. He was married, December 9, 1880,
to Miss Lydia Brewer, a daughter of Jacob
Brewer (deceased). They have one daughter
— Maud. Mr. Young and wife own 160
acres of land. He is a member of the United
Brethren Church. He was Assessor for
Webber Township one year, and is present
Clerk of Farrington Township.



ELK PRAIRIE TOWNSHIP.



J. H. CROSNO, farmer. P. O. Elk Prairie,
was born in McClellan Township, Jefferson
County, November 16, 1832, a son of R. S.
and Mary (Wells') Crosno. The father was
a native of Smith County, Tenn. , and came
to this county in an early day, first settling
in McClellan Township, where he resided
imtil 1836, when he moved to BIk Prairie
Township. Here he remained until 1865,
and then moved to Washington Territory,
where he lived until his death, which oc-
curred in 1867. The mother was a native of
Giles County, Tenn. Subject was the oldest
of eight children, of whom four are now liv-



ing. His education was received from the
subscription schools, but he afterward taught
one of the first free schools of the county.
He remained at home with his father until
about twenty- two, and^then purchased a farm
in the south part of Elk Prairie Township.
On that place he resided until after his
father's death, when, buying the interests of
the remaining heirs, he returned to the old
homestead, on which he now resides. He
has at present 300 acres in Sections 1, 2 and
14, of which about two hundred and fifteen
acres are under cultivation. Mr. Crosno was
married, June 29, 1854, to Larinda Howard,



ELK PRAIRIE TOWNSHIP.



139



a daughter of Charles and Jane Howard, ear-
ly settlers of McCleHaa Township, coming
from Tennessee to this couuty. This union
resulted in the following children, all of
whom are living: Pueblo K (on a farm in
MeClellan Township), Peoria K. (wife of
O. P. Duncan, of McClellan Township),
Florida (wife of Lucius Johnson, of Spring
Garden Township), Rosa, Willie, Charles E.,
R. H., S. J., A. O. and Hardin W. Our
subject has served as Township Assessor,
Justice of the Peace and member of the
County Board of Supervisors. In politics,
is a Greenbacker.

WILLIAM S. DODDS, farmer, P. O.
Laur, born on the farm where he now resides,
in Elk Prairie Township, Jeflerson County,
on December 21, 1849; was a son of John
and Lucy (Kel'er) Dodds. The father was
also a native of this county, being born near
Mount Vernon, and died in Elk Prairie
Township October 8, 1879. The grand-
father, Joseph Dodds, however, came from
South Carolina to this county in a ver^- early
day. Subject was the second of seven chil-
dren, of whom live are now living — Maggie
(wife of T. H. Mannen), William S., Susan
(wife of Sydney T. Hirons), David and Neal.
Subject attended the free schools of this
county. He remained on the home farm un-
til his father's death, and after the division
of the estate, subject acquired 140 acres.
Mr. Dodds was married, September 8. 1880,
to Mary MeConnel, a native of Rome Town-
ship, this county, and a daughter of John C.
and Sarah Jane (Cummings) MeConnel. The
result of the union was one child — Beitha,
born June 11, 1882. This lady died Feb-
ruary 15, 1883, and was buried in the
MeConnel Cemetery, in Rome Township.
Mr. Dodds has served as Township Assessor
three terms. In politics, Mr. Dodds is a
Democrat.



J. J. FITZGERRELL, P. O. Fitzgerell,
probably one of the foremost and most
extensive farmers in Jefferson County, the
gentleman whoso name heads this sketch,
was born about three miles from Owens-
ville, Gibson Co., Ind., January 25, 1815.
He was a son of James and Elizabeth
(Roy) Fitzgerrell, who were among the
early pioneers of that rpgion. The father
was born near Fredericksburg, Va., and the
mother near Lancaster, Garrett Co., Ky.
Subject was the third of fourteen children,
of whom seven are now living. His educa-
tion was received in the subscription schools
of his county. When eighteen, his father
moved to Posey County, Ind., to which place
the son accompanied him, and with whon;,
the latter made his home until twenty-two,
and then commenced life for himsesf on a
farm in that county. There our subject re-
mained until 1839, and then came to Jeffer-
son County. Here he remained only ten
weeks, but in that time he fenced eighty
acres and entered about two hundred acres
more of his present farm. He then returned
to Posey County, Ind., and there remained
until the spring of 1840, and then came
again to this county, where he has since re-
sided and where he stands to-day as one of
the largest land owners of the county. In
connection with his farming, Mr. Fitzgerrell
was also, until about four years ago, one of
the most extensive stock-raisers of the coun-
ty. In the last few years, owing to sickness,
he has decreased somewhat in that line. Our
subject was married in Posey Co., Ind., March
24, 1837, to Patsey Ann Martin, a native of
Gibson County, Ind., and a daughter of
j James and Sarah (Williams) Martin, who
! wore, probably, originally from Kentucky,
and among the earliest settlers of Gibson
i County. Twelve children blessed this [mar-
riat'o, of whom six are now living — William



140



BIOGRAPHICAL:



L., born August 18, 1889; Evans, born No-
vember 10, 1844; Sylvester, bom February
6, 1850; Elzina J.. April 9, 1852, wife of
Dr. I. G. Gee, whose sketch appears else-
where in this work; Sarah E., born December
9, 1851, and now the wife of Dr. J. H.
Mitehel, of Mount Vernon: and Eliza B. ,
born November 3, 1859, wife of A. Q.
Mitehel, of Franklin County. Of the de-
ceased ones, Bailey was bora January 13,
1838, died May 20, 1840; John S.," born
March 1, 1841, died August 11, 1862; An-
drew, born November 10, 1842, died Novem-
ber 15, 1847; Easter M., born October 26,
1854, died April 1, 1864; J. J., born April
8, 1857, died August 11, 1864; Patsey, born
March 4, 1862, died July 4, 1862." Mrs.
Fitzgerrell passed away March 31, 1862. and
our subject was joined in wedlock, in Frank-
lin County, on July 19, 1862, to Sarah M.
Whitlow. This lady was born in Franklin
Coimty July 22, 1840, and was a daughter of
Thomas and Elizabeth (Tompkins) Whitlow,
natives of Hardin County, Ky. The parents
came to Jefferson County about 1827, and
settled in Moore's Prairie Township, and
there lived until 1839, \\hen they moved to
Franklin County, where the father died
April 12, 1846, and the mother August 17,
1854. The result of this union has been
seven children, all of whom are now living —
Eobert C, born May 3, 1863; Mary C, born
August 23, 1865; Daniel G., February 10,
1868; Edgar Lee, born February 6, 1872;
Euterpe W., born May 11, 1874; Elnora R.,
born November 27, 1877; Catharine M.,
April 14, 1880. Mrs. Fitzgerrell is aiuember
of the Union Baptist Church of Elk Prairie
Township. In his lifetime, our subject has
kept free from office-seeking and political
strifes, and has devoted himself mainly to
his business. In politics, he has been a
lifelong Democrat.



DR. I. G. GEE, physician and farmer,
P. O. Fitzgerell. The gentleman of whose
life this is a brief sketch is at present one of
the leading physicians of Jefferson County,
and wa.s born in Simpson County, Ky., Sep-
tember 19, 1841. He is a son of William
and Melinda (Billingsly) Gee. The father
was born about 1810, in Barren County, Ky. ,
his father having come from Virginia, and
the mother was born Februray 24, 1816, in
Wai-ren County, Ky. In October, 1852, the
parents came to Illinois and settled in Perry
County, near Tamaroa, and here subject re-
ceived his education. In the spring of 1863,
he commenced reading medicine with Dr. W.
Sims, of Tamaroa. After reading with that
gentleman six months, he went to the Eclec-
tic Medical Institute, where, except fiJr a
short time, he attended lectures until Feb-
ruary, 1865, when he graduated from that
institution and returned to Illinois, where
he settled in Elk Prairie Township, Jefferson
County. Here he has since remained in the
practice of his chosen profession, which now
extends over parts of Jefferson, Perry and
Franklin Counties. The Doctor also finds
time to give considerable attention to farm-
ing, and at present owns 80 acres in Section
26, 80 in Section 29, 515 in Section 30, 65
in Section 35, of Township 4, Range 2, 160
acres in Perry County and 240 acres in
Franklin County. Our subject was joined
in the holy bonds of matrimony to Elzina J.
Fitzgerrell on December 26. 1867. This lady
is a native of this county, and is a daughter
of J. J. Fitzgerrell. whose sketch appears
elsewhere in this work. The result of this
union has been live children, of whom three
are now living — Harl, Earl and Knox. Sub-
ject has served as Township Clerk, Highway
Commissioner and School Treasiu-er; is a
member of Goode Lodge, No. 744, A. , F. &
A. M., of Franklin County, and of fl. W.



ELK PRAIRIE TOWNSHIP.



141



Hubbard Chapter, No. 160, Royal Arch
Masons, ol Mount Vernon.

JAMES LOMAN, farmer, P. O. Elk
Prairie, was born in Madison Qounty, Ky.,
May 28, 1831, a son of Isaac and Phoebe
(Davenport) Loman. who were natives of
North Carolina. Subject was the oldest of
seven children, and when eleven years old
his father died. The former, however, re-
mained at home with his mother and assisted
on the farm. In the winter time, however,
he found time to attend the subscription
schools of his county some. When subject
was eighteen, his mother man'ied a Mr.
Coffman, but Mr. Loman, however, made his
home with his step-father until he became of
age, and then, in the fall of 1852, he removed
to Rliuois and settled in Gallatin County,
where he remained six years. From there
he came to Jefferson County, and settled on
his present farm in Elk Prairie Township.
Here he now owns about one hfindred and
seventy acres, located in Sections 23, 24
and 26. of Township 4, Range 2 east. Of
this, there are about one hundred and forty -
two acres in cultivation and two acres in or-
chard. Mr. Loman was married, July 1,
1850, to Miss Sarah J. McClaine, a native of
Hopkins County, Ky., and a daughter of
Mrs. Lurenna McClaine. This marriage has
resulted in seven children, of whom iive are
now living — Mary (wife of William Hester),
AVilliam, Vienna (wife of Newton Wells), I.
B. and Leota. Subject enlisted in the Thirty -
tirst Illinois Volunteer Infantry in October,

1864, and remained in service until August,

1865. Among the campaigns in which his
regiment participated was that of Sherman's
famous march to the sea. Mr. Loman has
served in many places of trust in his town-
ship, having been Justice of the Peace six
teen years. He is at present tilling the otfice
of School Trustee. He is a member of the



Elk Prairie Christian Church, and in poli-
tics is at present connected with the Green-
back party; formerly, however, he affiliated
with the Democratic party.

JOHN MARTIN, deceased, was born in
Gibson County, Ind. , August 14, 1813. He
was a son of James and Sarah (Williams)
Martin, and was the third of six children, of
whom two are living. His education was
received in the schools of that day, and was
somewhat meager, his father having died
when subject was a mere boy. The latter
rendered what service he could to his mother,
and remained at the home farm until he was
twenty-seven. Then, starting out in life, he
married and settled down on a farm in that
county, where he remained until 1847, and
then came to Jeiferson County, where he
settieci in Elk Prairie Township, on the farm
now occupied by his widow. His first pur-
chase of 200 acres had been partially cleared.
By careful saving and frugality he added to
that until at the time of his death he owned
about nine hundred acres, which have since
been divided amoiig his heirs. In Gibson
County, Ind., February 11, 1841, Mr. Mai -
tin was wedded to Julia Ann Ai-mstrong,
who was born in Wayne County, 111., April
2, 1822, and is a daughter of Elsberry and
Elizabeth (Landers) Armstrong, who were
jirobably originally natives of Indiana.
Nine children have come to bless this
union, of whom seven are now living,
viz., Elsberry, born November 11, 1841;
Melissa, born January 1, 1845, wife of Har-
ry H. Hartley; Sarah E., born November 29,
1847, wife of J. J. Pierce, of Frauklin Coun-
ty; Mary J., born November 25, 1849, wife
of J. A. Allen; Nancy E., born February 24,
1852, wife of M. M. Fitzgerrell; Martha A.,
wife of Elijah Webb; John B., born June
23, 1862. Two infants were born Ajiril 23,
1855, and died the same day. It was the



142



BIOGRAPHICAL:



nature of our subject to remain aloof from
political struggles and strifes, and was in no
"way an ofljce seeker and holder, but bent all
of his energies to the amassing of a consid-
erable competence, which his heirs now en-
joy. As far as his political opinions and
principles went, however, he gave his support
to the Democratic party. Mr. Martin, in his
lifetime, was a true and faithful member of
the Baptist Church, and at his death, August
17, 1875, he was buried in the cemetery of
that church in Elk Prairie Township. His
widow and the unmarried children now re-
main on the farm.

WILLIAM WELLS, farmer, P. O. Elk
Prairie, was born in Giles County, Tenn.,
September 16, 1813, a son of William and
Elizabeth (Livingston) Wells. The father
was a native of Pennsylvania, and came to
Tennessee in a very early day; the mother
was a native of Kentucky. Subject was the
third of nine children. In 1819, his father
went, with his family, to Lauderdale County,
Ala., and there William attended subscrip-
tion school some. In 1825, the father again
moved, this time to Jefferson County, and
settled in Mount Vernon Township. He was
one of the first settlers in that neighborhood,
where he, however, remained only about
three years, and then moved to Wolf's Prai-
rie, McClellau Township, where he resided
until his death, which occurred in June,
1865. The father, in his day, was one of
the foremost men of the township in which
he resided, and served in numerous township



Online LibraryWilliam Henry PerrinHistory of Jefferson County, Illinois → online text (page 74 of 76)