William Lincoln.

History of Worcester, Massachusetts, from its earliest settlement to September, 1836; with various notices relating to the history of Worcester County (Volume 2) online

. (page 31 of 43)
Online LibraryWilliam LincolnHistory of Worcester, Massachusetts, from its earliest settlement to September, 1836; with various notices relating to the history of Worcester County (Volume 2) → online text (page 31 of 43)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

cine was conferred by Yale College, in 1816. Dr. Reed has been,
for several years, the oldest councillor of the Mass. Medical Society
for the Bristol county district.

Gardner Burbank, B. U. 1809, a native of that part of Sutton,
now Millbury, was son of Elijah Burbank, who came to Worcester
about 1798 : he studied law with Hon. Francis Blake : was admitted
to the bar : but immediately engaged in the manufacture of paper,
and in 1835 removed to Sharon, Vt.

Thomas Gardner Mower, H. U. 1810, son of Thomas Mower,
studied medicine with Dr. Thomas Babbet of Brookfield ; received
the degree of M. D. from the University of New York ; entered the
army as surgeon in 1813 : served in the campaigns on the Canadian
frontier during the war with England : and has since resided in the
city of New York.

Benjamin Franklin Heywood, D. C. 1812. See Physicians.

John Brazer, H. U. 1813, son of Samuel Brazer, succeeded Gov.
Edward Everett as Latin Tutor in Harvard University, in 1815 ;
was Professor of the Latin language in that institution, from 1817 to
1820 : and was ordained Pastor of the North Church, in Salem, Nov.
14, 1820. He was elected Fellow of the American Academy, in
1823 : one of the Overseers of Harvard University, in 1829 : and
received the degree of Doctor of Divinity from that college, in 1836.

Daniel Knight, B. U. 1813, son of Edward Knight, studied
law with Levi Lincoln, practised in Spencer, and afterwards in Lei-
cester, where he died, Aug. 16, 1826.

George Allen, Y. C. 1813, son of Hon. Joseph Allen, studied
theology with the Rev. Dr. Andrew Yates, Professor in Union Col-
lege, and was ordained minister of Shrewsbury, Nov. 19, 1823.

Henry Elijah Dix, H. U. 1813, son of Dr. Elijah Dix, born
Feb. 6, 1793, studied medicine with Dr. John Warren of Boston,
entered the United States Navy, and died in the Hospital atf Nor-
folk, Va. Jan. 21, 1822.

Austin Denny, Y. C. 1814. See Lawyers,

Stephen Salisbury, H. U. 1817, son of Stephen Salisbury,
studied law with Samuel M. Burnside, Esq. and was admitted to the
bar, but did not enter into the practise of the profession.


Francis Arthur Blake, H. U. 1S14, son of Hon. Francis Blake,
born in Rutland, April 4, 1794, but early resident here, adopted
the profession and entered the office of his father. Admitted to the
bar in 1S17, he settled in Cincinnati, Ohio, removed to the city of
New York in 1823, where he died March 22, 1824, immediately
after a favorable exhibition of talent as counsel in the trial of a capi-
tal case.

George Bancroft, H. U. 1817, son of Rev. Dr. Aaron Ban-
croft, visited Europe in the autumn of 1818 ; was two years in the
University of Gottingen in Germany, where he was admitted Doctor
of Philosophy : spent 15 or 18 months in a tour on the continent;
was tutor in Harvard College from 1822 to 1823 ; afterwards open-
ed a high school at Northampton : and has resided for some years
past in Springfield. In 1834, he published the first volume of the
History of the United States: and has been greatly distinguished as
a fine scholar and elegant writer.

Baxter Perry, H. U. 1817, son of Deac. Moses Perry; born
April 16, 1792 : studied theology in the Andover Seminary ; settled
in the ministry at Lyme, N. H. ; where he died, Jan. 18, 1830.

Robert Treat Paine Fiske, H. U. 1818, son of Dr. Oliver
Fiske, is now practising physician in Hingham, Mass.

William Lincoln, H. U. 1822. See Lawyers.

Clark Perry, H. U. 1823, son of Deac. Moses Perry, studied the-
ology at Andover, and was ordained at Newbury, Mass. Oct. 1828.

David Perry, D. C. 1824, son of Deac. Moses Perry, of the
Andover Theological seminary, was settled as clergyman, in Cam-
bridgeport, in 1829.

Isaiah Thomas, H. U. 1825, son of Isaiah Thomas, jun. has been
proprietor and editor of the 'American,' a newspaper in Cincin-
nati, Ohio, and merchant of that city ; and is now resident in New

Andrew Bigelow, son of Walter Bigelow, entered Harvard
College in 1825, but was compelled to leave his class by ill health.
He became assistant instructor at Garrison Forest Academy, and
died, at Worcester, April 1, 1826, aged 24.

Benjamin F. Thomas., B. U. 1830. See Lawyers.

William S. Lincoln, B. C. 1830, son of Levi Lincoln, read
law with Rejoice Newton and William Lincoln, was admitted At-
torney in 1833, and has since been in the profession in Millbury,

Daniel Waldo Lincoln, H. U. 1831. See Lawyers,


Harrison Gray Otis Blake, II. U. 1835, son of Hon. Francis
Blake, is student of theology in the Divinity School at Cambridge.

Henry Bigelow, H. U. 1S3G, son of Lewis Bigelow, is student of

John Healy Heywood, H. U. 1836, son of Levi Heywood,
is engaged in instruction.

Henry Smith, B. U. 1836, was licenced to preach, and is minister
of the Baptist persuasion. 1


John Chandler. The ancestor of that branch of the Chandler
family furnishing so many men of distinction in the ante revolu-
tionary history of the county, was William Chandler, admitted
freeman in 1G40, who died at Roxbury, June 19, 1641. His son
John, inherited the patrimonial estate, and resided in that town until
1686, when, with a company of neighbors, he emigrated, and
founded a plantation at Woodstock, which was included in the gov-
ernment of Massachusetts, until its inhabitants revolted to Connec-
ticut in 1748, depriving our Commonwealth in after time, by their
rebellion, of jurisdiction over a fair territory, and of citizens, except for
this disloyal act, of most excellent character. He was deacon of
the first church gathered there.

1 The following young men from 'Worcester, are under graduates of the several Col-
leges, September, 1836.

In Harvard University; John Weiss, son of John Weiss; Senior: Pliny Earle
Chase, son of Anthony Chase ; Samuel Jennison, son of Samuel Jcnnison ; John
Waldo Lincoln, son of Levi Lincoln ; L< ri Lincoln Newton, son of Rejoice N'ewlon ;
Sophomores. John Chandler Bancroft Davis, son of John Davis ; Benjamin Hey-
wood, son of Dr. Benjamin F. Ilevuood; Freshmen.

In Yale College. Edwin Osgood Carter, son of Pllias Carter; of the Jnwor class.

In Amherst College. Samuel Austin Taylor, son of Samuel Taylor: Nahum
Gale, son of Nahum Gale; Seniors : Horace T. Blake, son of Jason Blake: Thomas
Allen Gale, son of Nahum Gale; Juniors: Charles Gleuson. son of Jonathan Gleason;
Sophomore : Sumner Clark, son of Isaac Clark, Samuel lngersoll Goddard, son of
Perley Goddard ; Harrison O'.is Hoioland, son of Southworth Howland : Freshmen.

In Western Reserve College : Elias E. Carter, son of Elias Carter, Fresh-

Among- the names of those registered on the Records of Harvard University as of
Worcester, are Josiah Salisbury, 17'JS : James Putnam, I8C8 : Charles S Putnam, 1S14
and Francis E. Putnam. 1815 They were not natives of the town, nor long resilient
here. Among others from Worcester, who entered that College, but soon wiilxliew to
other pursuits, or by rea>on of ill health, not noticed in the text, are these : John Patch,
1791 . Joseph Dix, 1794: Nathaniel A. Paine, 18C9: William J. Seaver, 1810 : Gard-
ner Paine, 1815: George Lincoln, 1832: and James F. Gleuson, who died, Aug. 17,


John Chandler, son of Deacon John Chandler, and Elizabeth
Douglas his wife, the first known in any public capacity in our annals,
was born in Woodstock. He possessed strong natural powers, and
with slight advantages of education, rose to distinction in the civil,
military, and judicial departments of government. On the erection
of the County of Worcester, he was appointed first Judge of Probate,
first Justice of the Courts of Common Pleas and General Sessions,
and Colonel of the regiment of militia ; offices, which he retained
till his death, in 1743. He was Representative in the General Court
from Woodstock, where he resided, and member of his Majesty's

John Chandler, named on our records the first, son of John
Chandler and Mary Raymond of New London, Conn, his wife,
born at Woodstock, Oct. 10, 1G93, removed to Worcester in 1731,
and was Clerk of the Judicial Courts from that date to 1754 ; Re-
gister of Probate to 1754; Register of Deeds to 1762 ; Sheriff from
1751 to 1762; Selectman from 1732 to 1736 and from 1741 to
1754; and Representative from 1735 to 1740. On the decease of
his father, he succeeded to the higher offices of Judge, Colonel, and
Councillor. His talents were rather brilliant and showy than solid
or profound. With manners highly popular, he possessed cheerful
and joyous disposition, indulging in jest and hilarity, and exercised
liberal hospitality. While Judge of Probate, he kept open table, on
court days, for the widows and orphans who were brought to his tri-
bunal by concerns of business. He died at Worcester in 1763.

John Chandler, son of the last mentioned John, and of Hannah
Gardner, described as 'daughter of John Gardner, Lord of the Isle
of Wight, in the Province of New York,' born, Feb. 26, 1720, as
he succeeded to the military, municipal, and some of the judicial
offices of his father, inherited the characteristic traits of his ances-
tors. He was cheerful in temperament, engaging in manner, hos-
pitable as a citizen, friendly and kind as a neighbor, industrious
and enterprising as a merchant, and successful as a man of business.
Leaving the country at the commencement of the revolution, he
sacrificed large possessions to a chivalrous sense of loyalty. In the
schedule exhibited to the British Commissioners appointed to adjust
the compensation to the Americans, who adhered to the royal gov-
ernment, the amount of his real and personal estate which was con-
fiscated, is estimated at £ 11,037, and the losses, of the income of
offices, from the destruction of business, and by other causes, at near-
ly .£6,000 more. So just and moderate was this computation ascer-


tained to be, at a time when extravagant claims were presented by
others, that he was denominated in England, ' the honest refugee.'
He died in London in the autumn of 1780.

Captain Jonas Hubbard. The son of an early settler, he was
born in Worcester. Previous to the revolution, he was engaged in
the cultivation of his patrimonial estate, and in the management of
extensive concerns of business. The first sounds of coming war
found him an Ensign in one of the three militia companies of the
town. A kw months before hostilities commenced, Captain Rufus
Chandler, a decided royalist, afterwards a refugee, and an active
and influential man, paraded his troops before some British officers
who had visited him from Boston, and boasted to his guests of that
loyalty among his men, which the king vainly expected would sus-
tain his assumptions of power amidst a bold and intelligent yeoman-
ry, knowing their rights and willing to defend them.

When the volunteer company of minute men was raised, Hubbard
was elected Lieutenant, and actively participated in the evening
drills, after the labors of the day were over, and in the preparations
made by the busy industry of the martial spirit of the times, for
immediate action.

Soon after this gallant corps marched to Cambridge, he was ap-
pointed Captain. When the expedition through the Kennebeck
wilderness, against Quebec, was planned, volunteers were enlisted
from the army at large. The object of the service, or the destina-
tination of the troops, was known only to the superior officers. It
was understood that it would be attended with danger, labor, and
suffering. Hubbard, brave and energetic, did not shrink from peril
or hardship in the cause to which he had devoted himself, and, at
his own request, was appointed to the command of a company, in
the detachment of Arnold. While the troops halted at Fort Wes-
tern, on the Kennebeck, he wrote to his wife, in terms worthy of a
patriot martyr : ' I know not if I shall ever see you again. The
weather grows severe cold, and the woods, they say, are terrible to
pass. But I do not value life or property, if I can secure liberty for
my children.' Captain Hubbard shared in the extreme sufferings
of the march, and probably more than his proportion, as acting
under a commission, among those who had no reverence for artificial
distinctions, beyond that yielded to the legitimate authority of cour-
age and wisdom.

On the arrival of Arnold before Quebec, the golden opportunity
when he might have entered its gates triumphantly was lost. The


attack was made by the way of the lower town, at midnight of the
last day of December, 1775, in a fierce tempest. In storming a
barrier, Capt. Hubbard fell, at the head of his company, severely
wounded. Respected for his fearless intrepidity and loved for his
personal worth, his men wished to remove him to a place of shelter
from the fast falling snow, and of safety from the vollies of balls
poured down from the ramparts. But he peremptorily refused. ' I
came here to serve with you, I will stay here to die with you,' were
his last words to a comrade who survived. Bleeding and stretched
on a bed of ice, exposed to the bitter influence of a winter storm,
life soon departed. It was a glorious time and place for the gallant
soldier to yield up his breath, beneath the massive walls of the im-
pregnable citadel, with the death shot flashing fast, and the thunder
of battle swelling round him.

The history of many families of New England is told in that of
Capt. Hubbard. The ancestor, hardy and enterprising, went out
from the cultivated country to redeem new tracts from the waste.
The father, animated by a noble patriotism, exchanged the sickle
for the sword, the peaceful pursuits of agriculture for the privations
of military life. The sons, inheriting his adventurous and manly
spirit, emigrated to Maine, where the eldest ranks among the foun-
ders of towns. 1

Col. Timothy Bigelow, was born in Worcester, August 12,
1739. His father, Daniel Bigelow, was of that class of substantial
farmers who have been distinguished here for independence, good
sense, industry and probity.' 2 The youngest son, the subject of this
sketch, was first apprenticed to a mechanic trade, and afterwards
prosecuted the business of a blacksmith with diligence 3 He was

1 Gen. Levi Hubbard, the first settler of Paris, in Maine, has borne many offices with
honor. He was representative of Oxford District, in Congress, from 1813 to 1815.

2 Daniel Bigelow married Elizabeth Whitney, and with his wife moved from Water-
town to Worcester, and resided in that part of the town then called Bogachoa°", now
Ward, where he died at the great age of 92 years. He had five children, David, Na-
thaniel, Daniel, Timothy, and Silence : the latter, was for many years a school mis-
tress; the former, with a single exception, have been before mentioned. His
paternal ancestors early emigated from England. The first recorded notice of
any of the family in this country, is of John Bigelow, an inhabitant of Watertown, who
in 1636, served as Grand Juror, at a term of the Court held at Newtown, now Cam-
bridge. He was possessed of extensive tracts of land, cultivated a farm, and 'was well
to live.' The name was formerly written Biglo, by corruption from Bedloe, the more
ancient orthography.

3 He built a forge before the war on the south side of Lincoln Square. After return-
ing from the army, he erected a triphammer and other iron works, on the site of the
Court Mills, now owned by Stephen Salisbury, Esq.


soon ranked among the most energetic and prosperous of the young
men of the village. With strong native power, and shrewd ob-
servation of men and thing?, he labored to supply the want of the
advantages of education : he collected a small but well selected li-
brary, became acquainted with some of the best English authors,
and gained the art of speaking with directness and force, and of
writinor with point and accuracy. These acquisitions were soon
called into full exercise. As the clouds of the revolution gathered,
he was placed in prominent position among the whigs of the town.
Our best educaled and most influential men were decided tories.
Mr. Bigelow, espousing with ardor the opposite party, as early as
March 1773, was elected of the local Committee of Correspondence,
and, in December, organized the Political Society. 1 Meetings of
these bodies were often held at his dwelling, and measures were
there concerted in secret, which broke the control of the adherents
of the king. The recital of his exertions would be but repetition of
the narrative of that struggle between the patriots and royalists, with
which he was identified, already spread through former pages. The
bold and then treasonable resolutions of the town, in 1774, were re-
sisted in the public meeting of the inhabitants by Col. Putnam, who
remonstrated against the adoption, in an appeal of solemn and lofty
eloquence : they were sustained vigorously, by Mr. Bigelow, and
carried triumphantly. From that day the ' sons of liberty' were
victorious, where toryism had possessed its strongest hold in the in-
terior. Member of the famous 'Whig Club' assembling in Boston,
he was associated with Warren, Otis, and other eminent movers of
the springs of 'rebellion.' He was delegate in the Provincial Con-
gress during Its first and second sessions. 2 When the company of
Minute Men was formed, he was chosen, by unanimous vote, to be
its commander. Under his unwearied instruction, this corps attained
such excellence in military exercises, as to draw from Washington,
on the first review, the expression ' this is discipline indeed.' On
the day preceding the Concord fight, he had been engaged in prep-
arations for the removal of the military stores to a place of safety,
and returned, in good time to place himself at the head of his men,
when they took up the line cf march, on the 19th of April, 1775. Ar-

1 An account of this society and of the political exertions of Col. Bigelow will be
found in the sixth and seventh chapters of this work.

2 Col. Bigelow, with other leading whigs, desirous of the establishment of a press in
Worcester, had made proposals to Isaiah Thomas to issue a newspaper here. An ar-
rangement was effected for this purpose at the commencement of 1775. The removal
of the Spy from Boston, took place immediately after the battle of Lexington.


rivincr at Cambridge, on the following day, he joined the army, as
Captain, and soon after, by commission from Congress, was pro-
moted to the rank of Major. In September 1775, he engaged, as
volunteer, in the expedition against Quebec. Had that winter march
:hrough the wilderness been the exploit of a Grecian phalanx, or
Roman legion, the narrative of sufferings and dangers, severe as
ivere ever endured or encountered, would have been celebrated in
song and story. One of the three divisions penetrating through the
forest, by the route of the Kennebeck. was commanded by Major
Bigelow. 1 In the attack on Quebec, during the night of the 31st of
December, in the assault on the fortress, exposed to a shower of
balls from the barriers and ramparts, he was made prisoner, and re-
mained in captivity until the summer of 1776. An exchange hav-
ing been negociated, he returned, and was soon after called into
service with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. The commission of
Colonel was received, Feb. 8, 1777, and he was appointed to the com-
mand of the 15th Regiment of the Massachusetts line in the Con-
tinental Army, then forming, principally of the men of Worcester
county. Remaining in Worcester, until the ranks were filled and
the new troops drilled, he marched to join the Northern Army under
Gen. Gates, and arrived on the scene of action in season to assist in
the capture of Burgoyne. With his regiment, we afterwards trace
him, at Saratoga, in Rhode Island, at Verplank's Point, Robinson's
Farms, N. J. Peekskill, Valley Forge, and West Point. A braver
band never took the field or mustered to battle. High character for
intrepidity and discipline, early accpiired, was maintained unsullied
to the close of their service.

After the army was disbanded, Col. Bigelow was stationed for a
time at West Point, and afterwards assigned to the command of the
national arsenal at Springfield. When he left military life, it was
with the reputation of a meritorious officer, but with straightened
purse. The pay of the soldiers of freedom had been irregularly

i During a clay's halt of the troops, on this memorable march, Major Bigelow as-
cended a steep and rugged height, about 40 miles northwestward from Norridgewock,
in Somerset County, Maine, for the purpose of observation. This eminence still bears
the name of Mount Bigelow.

A faithful and most interesting narrative of the campaign against Quebec, was pub-
lished by John Joseph Henry, a soldier in the expedition, afterwards President of the
Second Judicial District of Pennsylvania : the journal of Major Return J. Meigs is
printed in 2 Ma^s Hist. Coll. ii. 227: some original letters of Arnold, are inserted in the
Maine Historical Society's Collections, i. 341. From these sources maybe derived full
detail of the memorable expedition.


advanced, in depreciated currency, 1 and large arrears were with-
held. With a frame physically impaired by long hardship, toil, and
exposure, with blighted worldly prospects, with the remains of pri-
vate property considerable at the outset, but seriously diminished by
the many sacrifices of his martial career, he returned to his home.
With resolute spirit he set to work to repair his shattered fortunes,
and resumed the old occupations of the forge and work shop. But
times had changed since the fires of the furnace had been last kind-
led. If the products of his skill were in as quick demand as in
former days, responsible customers were diminished. Hard money
had ceased to circulate; credit existed only in name; and public
confidence was destroyed. Change too had come over the war
worn veteran himself. The stirring occupations of the field, the habits
formed by eight years of active service, the tastes acquired by
residence in the camp, and action in the exciting events of the revo-
lution, and disuse of old avocations, had produced inaptitude for a
course of business so long discontinued. Still, he bore up against
circumstances of discouragement, and contrived to maintain his
family in comfort and in respectable position. With others, he
obtained a grant of a township of land in Vermont, containing
23040 acres, Oct. 21, 1780, upon which he founded a town and be-
stowed the name of Montpelier, now the capital of the State. A
severe domestic affliction, in 1787, the loss of his second son, Andrew,
who fell a victim to rapid consumption, uniting with other disap-
pointments, depressed his energy, and cast over his mind a gloom
presaging the approaching night of premature old age. He died
March 31, 1790, in the 51st year of his age. 2

1 The following extracts of a letter from Mrs. Bigelow to her husband, Feb. 26, 1780,
show the depreciated state of the currency.

'On account of the heavy fall of snow, there is not a possibility of gelling wood from the
farm at present, no one who does not live on the great road can bring any with a sled.
The common price is fifty dollars, and it has been sold for fifty six dollars the load.'
. . 'The money you sent me was very acceptable, for I was in debt for Andrew's pair of
shoes, forty dollars; and also for some mending in the family, which made the account
almost seventy dollars. I paid the servant, fifty eight dollars for what money he had
expended on the road [in a journey of about 60 miles.] A bushel of malt now sells for
thirty dollars, and a pound of hops for six dollars.'

2 Col. Bigelow married Anna Andrews, a young orphan lady of Worcester, born
April 1 1 , 1747, and at the time of her marriage, July 7, 1762, heiress of a fortune consid"
erable in those days. The union was a love match, and was contracted at Hampton'
N. H. the Gretna Green of the Old Bay State. She died at Groton, July, 1809. She
was the only child of a connection formed under somewhat romantic circumstances.
Her father, Samuel Andrews, at a late period of youth, having fitted himself for college,
and passed the customary examination, was admitted to Harvard University. Return-


Col. Bigelow was of fine personal appearance. His figure was
tall and commanding. In stature he was more than six feet in
height. His bearing was erect and martial, and his step was said

Online LibraryWilliam LincolnHistory of Worcester, Massachusetts, from its earliest settlement to September, 1836; with various notices relating to the history of Worcester County (Volume 2) → online text (page 31 of 43)