William Richards Castle William Roscoe Thayer.

The Harvard graduates' magazine online

. (page 22 of 103)
Online LibraryWilliam Richards Castle William Roscoe ThayerThe Harvard graduates' magazine → online text (page 22 of 103)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

them from him, and until his own death
took him from those who are left to sur-
vive him and to mourn his loss. At the
outbreak of the Civil War, J. Langdon
Ward was, together with one of his class-
mates, John Hodges, a member of a mili-
tary company of Salem. This was some-
thing more than the ordinary militia
company of that day. The Ellsworth
Zouaves had a little while before the be-
ginning of the war given exhibitions of a
new development of the possibilities of
infantry drill and tactics, and especially
of the employment of athletic training,
and the use of the bayonet in fencing.
This Salem company, under Captain
Duryea, its oonunander, had emulated
the performances of the Ellsworth
Zouaves, and had become very profi-
cient. Thus the call of President Lincoln
for the first contingent of three months
troops found this Salem Company ready
for the field. The company was assem-
bled at Salem; Ward and Hodges left
College to join it; it was assigned, as a
company, to the 8th Massachusetts
Regiment; and it left Boston on the very
day on which its only precursor, the 6th
Massachusetts, was attacked on its way
to Washington and was obliged to fight
its way through the streets of Baltimore.
The 8th Massachusetts went through to
Washington, incidentally repairing a
locomotive which the Southern qrmpa-

Digitized by



Ntmtfrom the Clataea.


thizera liad undertaken to disable, and
repairing it by the hands of mechanics
in its ranks who had had a part in the
building of that very looomotiye. There
has been some question between the 8th
Massachusetts and the 7th New York
as to which was more instrumental in
opening anew the communications with
Washington. It suffices here to say that
both reached Washington at about the
same time, and that the presence of the
eth and 8th Massachusetts and the 7th
New York brought relief to the anxious
Government; and that all three regi-
ments performed with entire satisfaction
all the duties confided to them during
the term of their enlistment. When that
term ended and his regiment was mus-
tered out of the Federal service. Ward
returned to Camlnidge and rejoined his
Gass, and graduated with it. Shortly
after graduating, he recruited a company
for a new regiment and was commis-
sioned its captain. With this he served
in the Banks expedition and was pro-
moted major on the staff of Gen. An-
drews of the Corps d'Afrique, and aa
snch saw service at Port Hudson and
elsewhere. In the fall of 1864, after much
and honorable service in the field he re-
signed his commission and returned
home. He studied law. He was ad-
mitted to the Bar of New York. He en-
tered the office of Blatchford, Seward k
Griswold, where he remained a year or
more until he felt ready to begin prac-
tice on his own account. From that time
on his history was that of the hard-
working and efficient lawyer doing with
all his might whatever his hands found
to do. And while he had a special apti-
tude for admiralty and had important
successes in that field of practice, his
professional experiences were many and
various, and in all he manifested the
same sturdy character and the same de-
votion to truth and ri|^teouaness whidi

pervaded his whole life. His earliest
partnership in the practice of the law
was that of North, Ward & Wagstaff.
After this was terminated by the retire-
ment of Mr. North and the appoint-
ment of Mr. Wagstaff to the position of
Clerk of the Appellate Division of the
Supreme Court, he formed the firm of
Ward, Hayden & Satterlee, which was
Uter followed by Ward, Wilson & Hay-
den. Of this he continued a member to
the time of his death. The record of his
life would be incomplete without adding
that he was the secretary of the Union
League Club of New York in its early
days, when it was rather a patriotic in-
stitution than an important social dub,
and that then and afterwards in various
capacities he freely gave his best services
to it; that he filled high, and at times the
hi^^est position in the Loyal Legion;
and that whatever he did in these ca-
pacities he did to the best of his ability,
which meant in his case that he did it
well. In all these activities he made
friends; warm and devoted friends. It
might be sidd that he had a genius for
friendship. He was not content to re-
ceive. He was eager to give. The claims
of friendship or of charity never passed
him unheeded. John Langdon Ward was
a greatrhearted, true-hearted gentleman.
He lived a worthy life, in which the last
thought was that of self. His epitaph
should be, * Well done, good and faithful
servant,' and there can be no better one
for a true man. — W. G. Wr


C. H. Dbnnt, i5«e.,
23 Central St., Boston.

Edmimd Bonder Wheeler, son of
James Putnam and Maria Hepsibah
(Storer) Wheeler, was bom in Eastport,
Me., Sept. 8, 1842. He died in Buffalo,
N.Y., July 6, 1915. He fitted for Col-
lege at the Bozbury Latin School. He

Digitized by



NewBfrom the Clc^seg.


was appointed acting assistant pay-
master in the navy, Sept. 24» 1863, and
resigned Nov. 80, 1865. He served under
Farragut and was in the battle of Mo-
bile Bay. He was in a general merchan-
dise brokerage and commission business
in New York City for a while, and for
two years ending May 1, 1869, he did
an insurance business in Detroit, Mich.,
and was associated with his class-
mate, Francis Marsh. In Oct., 1871,
he was connected with a gas com-
pany in Buffalo, and engaged in devel-
oping some bituminous coal interests in
Pennsylvania. He removed to Buffalo
and became a member of the firm of
Wheeler & Davis, proprietors of the
Stirling Chain Works. The firm of
Wheeler & Davu was dissolved by limi-
tation in Dec., 1885. In April, 1888, he
was assistant to the general manager of
the Nicaragua Canal Construction Com-
pany in New York City, and for the next
year or more spent part of his time in
New York, and part at Niagara Falls.
In 1891 and 1892 he traveled extensively
abroad, but in Aug., 1892, he was called
home to take the position of superinten-
dent of the Niagara Junction Railway
Company, and agent of the Niagara De-
veloping Company, subsidiaries of the
Niagara Falls Power Company, which
positions he held until his resignation
and retirement from business, Dec. 31,
1905. He was married Oct. 24, 1866, at
Niagara Falls, to Jane Howell Town-
send, daughter of Daniel Jackson Town-
send. His wife died in Atlantic City,
N.J., Nov. 11, 1897. Two sons and two
married daughters survive him.


Dr. W. L. Richardson, See.,

225 Commonwealth Ave., Boston.

Eighteen members of the Class dined

at Young's Hotel on the evening of

June 23. — John Owen died on May 8

after a few days' illness of pneumonia.
He was bom in Cambridge in 1842 and
fitted for College in the Cambridge High
School. He enlisted for service in the
war, served as lieutenant and captain
and was honorably discharged in 1866,
returning to Cambridge to take his de-
gree as of 1864. In the autumn of 1866
he entered the Government service in
the Chicago post-office, came to the
Boston post-office in 1872, where he has
worked as a letter-carrier for 43 years.
He was twice married, to Mary Eliza-
beth Palmer in 1885 and after her death
to Jennie Hamilton in 1906. — Arthur
O. Sedgwick died suddenly in PitUfield
on July 14. He had been through a se-
vere attack of pneumonia and had not
regained his health. He was bom in New
York in 1844, fitted for College at a pri-
vate school in Bridgeport, Conn., and
immediately after his graduation in
1864, received a commission in the 20th
Massachusetts Volunteer Regiment. He
was soon after taken prisoner and was
confined in Libby Prison. In 1865, after
a dangerous illness, he was discharged
from the United States Army for dis-
ability contracted in the service. He
practised law in Boston until 1872,
when he removed to New York to take
the position as assistant editor of the
Evening Post, soon, however, transfer-
ring to the editorial staff of the Nation,
This position he resigned in 1877 to con-
tinue his law practice, although through-
out his life he wrote much for the daily
press and for magazines. In the winter
of 1885-86 he delivered a course of
Lowell Lectures on "Law," and gave
the Godkin Lectures at Harvard in 1909,
his subject being "Some Unsettled
Questions relating to Popular Govern-
ment." The substance of these lectures
he embodied in a book, The Demo-
erotic Mistake, published by Scribners
in 1912. He married Lucy Tuckenxum*

Digitized by



News from the Classes*


of New York, in 1888. and is surviyed by
two daughters.


C. £. Stbatton, Bee.^
293 Commonwealth Ave., Boston.

Henxy Christian Mayer was bom
near Buffalo, N.Y., March 31, 1844. He
left Harvard during the first part of the
Senior year, and entered Kenyon Col-
lege, Gambler, O., where he received the
degree of A.B. in the summer of 1866,
and alao the same year the same degree
from Harvard. After graduation he
studied for two years at the Episcopal
Divinity School, Philadelphia, and was
ordained as deacon of the Episcopal
Church in June, 1869; and the following
September he entered on his duties as
assistant minister of St. Ann's Church.
Brooklyn Heights, N.Y. In the follow-
ing spring he resigned his position at
St. Ann's. Shortly afterwards he accept-
ed a call to the rectorship of Grace
Church, Newton, and in October, 1870,
he was ordained presbyter. At various
times he had charge of churches in differ-
ent parts of the country, including Phil-
adelphia, Bethlehem, Pa., and New
York City, but his chief work was in edu-
cational and missionary fields. In 1884
he accepted the rectorship of Trinity
Church, Pass Christian, Miss., and
opened (by request of the bishop of the
State) the Diocesan Female Seminary.
He gave up his work there about 1893
and spent about ten years establishing
orphanages and schools in Mexico and
Cuba. It was during his last period of
labor in Mexico that he contracted the
illness which ended in his death. He was
living on the Mexican plateau, where his
heart became affected by the great alti-
tude. He returned about four years ago
to his home, but never recovered his
health. He died in Philadelphia, May 21,
1915. He was married in 1869 to Nina C,

daughter of the Rt. Rev. Wm. B. Ste-
vens, Episcopal Bishop of Pennsylvania.
She died in 1873. In 1875 he was mar-
ried to Mary F. Lewis, daughter of
George T. Lewis, of Philadelphia, who,
with two sons and two daughters, sur-
vives him.


J. R. Cabbet, 8ee.9
79 Milk St.. Botfton.
Out of the 96 graduates of the Class of
1867, 44 are living and 6 non-graduate
members are affiliated with the Class;
9Q attended a Commencement Dinner
at the Parker House, Boston, on Wed-
nesday, June 23, 1915, and 15 attended
the usual reunion on Commencement
Day at Hollis 8.


T. P. Beal, Sec,,
Second National Bank, Boston.
The Class of '69 held their annual
dinner at the Algonquin Club on June 23,
33 men being present. The dinner was
informal, but it was voted that it was as
pleasant as so many of the '69 dinners
have been. A number were present who
had not been with us for some time, viz.,
Alden P. Loring, Washington Becker,
F. M. Learned, Mark Sibley Severance.


T. B. TicKNOR, Sec.,
3 Ransom Road, Newton C«ntre.
The Class dinner was held at the Uni-
versity Club; present. Brooks Adams,
Alexander, Buckminster, Bunton, Burn-
ham, Cole, Laurence Curtis, Louis Cur-
tis, R. F. Curtis, Cutler, Farrington,
Fuller, Hale, Holway, Huntress, Ladd,
Lincoln, Littlefield, Monroe, Nourse,
Parkman, Parsons, Perrin, Sanger, Scud-
der, Sheldon, S. S. Smith, W. B. Smith,
Swan, Ticknor, Vaughan, Viauz, Wat-
son, White, and Willis, — 35 in alL

Digitized by



J^ewifronithe Ola$Be$r


Judge Monroe presided most luppily;
the speeches were entirely informal in
character, and the evening proved one
of the most enjoyable of the Class re-
unions. Atabrief formal meeting, it was
voted that the Class Conunittee be au-
thorised to fill the vacancy in its number
caused by the death of Lawrence with-
out further action by the Class. — On
Commencement Day, Thayer 45 was
open as usual and the customary lunch-
eon was served. Almost all of those who
attended the dinner were present, and»
in addition, Spaulding and Tuckerman.
the latter returning to Conmiencement
for the first time since graduation. — A
revised list of addresses and biographies
of the men who have died since the last
printed report will shortly be issued. —
Frederick T. Fuller has been appointed
by Gov. Walsh a member of the spe-
cial recess commission to study and re-
port on the subject of taxation.


A. M. Barnes, Sec,,
710 MaaBachiuwtts Ave., Cftmbridgo.
The Class of 1871 met as usual at Hol-
worthy 17, and among those present was
Dr. Edward F. Hodges from Indian-

A. L. Lincoln, Sec,,
126 fkato St., Botton.
The annual dinner was given at the
Union Club the evening before Com-
mencement, the following members be-
ing present' Almy, Beaman, Brown, W.
Burgess, Eliot, Gibson, F. R. Hall, R. S.
Hall, E. N. Hill, HoUand, Hutchins^
Kidder, Lincoln, A. Lord, Miller, Park-
hurst, Pousland, Sheldon, Titus, Waters,
White, Wyman, Allen, Parks, and
Thwing. Lord presided, and the Secre-
tary read his annual reports. Speeches
were made by Beaman, Hutchins, Hol-
land, Kidder, and Almy. R.S. Hall read

some verses which he had composed for
the occasion, and the Class tried to sing
some of the old songs, but our old leader
F, S. Sherburne was sadly missed. In
the afternoon previous to the dinner 19
of the Class attended together the base-
ball game and seven lunched with
Hutchins at the Suntaug Inn. Our Com-
mencement meeting was at Thayer 8
as usual. Lord acted as chairman and
the Secretary's r^orts were formally
presented and accepted. Twelve tick*
ets to the Alumni exercises were dis-
tributed. A short memorial of Charles
Newton Fessenden, who died Dec. 23
last, was read by Dr. Parks and it was
voted to place the same in the Class
records. The death of William Bri-
ce& Lord at Washington, D.C., on Feb.
14, 1914, was reported. — On July 4,
1915, Otis Henry Currier died at his
home in Somerville. He was bom in
Charlestown, Nov. 25, 1850, the son ol
Henry and Emily M. (Stevens) Currier,
He received his pr^aration for College
in the Chariestown public schools and
entered with the Class in 1868. He was
a member of the Everett Athensum and
of the Pi Eta Society. After graduation
he became bookkeeper for A. & S. J.
Brown in the fruit and produce business
in Boston, and remained with them 22
years, when the firm was dissolved. He
then served in the same capacity for
LoweU Bros. & Bailey, in the same busi-
ness, for about 11 years, until August,
1905, when he was stricken by paralysis
from which he never recovered. His
friends bear witness to the cheerful cour-
age with which he faced the inevitable
end. Death followed a ten days' illness
due to heart trouble and complications.
He last met with the Class in 1912 and
is one ef the group photographed on that
occasion. He was nuirried at Boston,
Oct. 27, 1881, to Josephine Maria Morse,
who survives him.

Digitized by



Ntwsfrom the Chs^es.


A. L. Wass, See.,
William Mansfield Groton died at
Philadelphia on May 25 of heart diseaae.
He was the son of James R. and Helen
M. (Richmond) Groton and was bom at
Waldoboro, Me.. Nov. 28, 1850. After
graduation he studied at the School of
the Episcopal Church at PhiUdelphia,
and entered upon his first pastorate at
Lincoln, after his ordination as priest in
1877. He subsequently became rector of
Trinity Church at St. Stephen, New
Brunswick, where he served in the
Church of England. Unwillingness to
take the oath of allegiance, which as*
sured him a promising career, caused
him to abandon this post and to accept
a rectorship at Westerly, R.I., where be
remained for many years. In 1898 he
was called to the Church of the Holy
Trinity at Philadelphia and subsfr-
quently became Professor of Divinity in
the Church School. In 1900 he was ap-
pointed Dean, an office which he hdd
at the time of his death. In connection
with his various pastorates he held many
important positions on committees deal-
ing with Church matters and with edu-
cation. He was twice Speaker of the
Church Congress, a member of the
Standing Committee of the Dioceses
of Rhode Island and Pennsylvania, Ex-
aminer to the Bishop of Rhode Island,
and Deputy to the General Conventions
of these two States. The University of
Pennsylvania gave him the degree of
S.T.D. in 190S. A widow and two sons
survive him.


C. S. PjcNHALLOw, See.,
803 Sean Bide, Boston.
The Class of 1874 dined this year at
the Harvard Club. W. C. Sanger pre-
sided: Foote and Farlow at the piano.

The dinner was informal: there were no
•et speeches, but every one was called
upon to say something. Foote spoke of
the efforts of the Harvard Club of Lon-
don to obtain subscriptions to help the
Harvard units who are doing duty at the
front and elsewhere, and it was voted
that Foote and the Secretary should is-
sue an appeal to the Class for funds to
assist in this work, and this has since
been done. — A conunittee appointed
in 1914 to consider the final disposition
of the Class Fund reported at the Com-
mencement meeting in favor of a Schol-
arship Fund, and those present on that
occasion unanimously approved their re-
port. The Secretary has since commu-
nicated directly with each member of the
Class, and they have e x pressed them-
selves almost unanimously in favor of
the Scholarship Fund.


JunoB W. A. Rekd, See.,
The 40th anniversary of the gradua-
tion of the Class was celebrated on Wed-
nesday, June 28, 1915. It was the unani-
mous opinion of all who took part in the
festivities that the reunion was the most
satisfactory of all the Class gatherings.
The Class assembled at the Harvard
Club of Boston at 10 a.m. on the anni-
versary day and motored to the home
of Hunnewell at Wellesley. After lunch
with Hunnewell, the Class attended the
Harvard- Yale Baseball Game, and after
the game drove about in Cambridge*
arriving at the Harvard Club in time
for a short rest before dinner. At
the dinner at the Harvard Club Van
Duser prended. Forty-nine men were
present. It was voted: "Whereas, Dr.
Richard P. Strong and his colleagues, as
representatives of the Harvard Medical
School, are devoting their services in
Serbia and risking their lives in the sup-

Digitized by



News from the Classes.


pression of typhus fever and other dan-
gerous diseases; Whereas, Dr. Strong
has made an appeal for funds to be put
at his personal disposal in the relief sani-
tation work which he is carrying on;
and Whereas several of the graduate
classes have voted to forego the expense
of festivities this year and devote the
money that would have been spent in
such enjoyments to the relief of the
peoples suffering from the calamities of
the war; therefore it is Voted that we, the
Class of '75, contribute the sum of Two
Hundred Fifty DolUrs ($260) to be sent
to Dr. Richard P. Strong, as the repre-
sentative of Harvard, for his use in the
suppression of epidemic diseases in Ser-
bia, and that the Treasurer, Warren A.
Heed, be and is hereby authorized to
send this sum to Dr. Strong and charge
the same to the Class Fund." F. R.
Appleton in behalf of the Class pre-
sented to the Secretary an elegant lov-
ing-cup, inscribed as follows: "Warren
Augustus Reed, Secretary of the Class of
1876, Harvard College. A token of affeo-
tion and esteem from his Classmates to
mark his fortieth year of devoted service,
June, 1916.*'

J. F. Tyler, See.,
1038 Tremont Bldg.. Boston.
The 88th anniversary of graduation
was celebrated by a dinner at the Hat^
vard Club of Boston on the night before
Commencement; 50 members were pre»*
ent. Parker W. Page presided and re-
marks were made by Martin, John
Lowell, Harris, Lindsay Swift, and the
Secretary; there was singing by Babcock
and the meeting was a great success. The
usual gathering at 14 Holworthy took
place on the morning of Commencement
Day with no business except the reading
of the accounts, which were accepted
and placed on file.

HsNBT Whkkubb, See.,
511 Sean Bldg., Boston.
The Class dined together on the even-
ing of Jime 23 at the Parker House and
the following members were present:
W. B. Allen. Bancroft, Browne, Cobb,
Cushing, Dorr, Elting, Eaton, B. F.
Harding, Hastings, Hubbard, B. N.
Johnson, Knapp, Lee, Lawrence, Loring,
Littauer, Montague, C. Moore, Mills,
Miles, Murray, Finney, Sparhawk,
Squibb, Sullivan, F. W. Taylor, Vickery,
Wheeler, Woodward, and Worcester.
The Secretary presided and read letters
from Curtis, de Billier, Jacob, and Wil-
liam H. Taft, of Yale 1878, who was
elected an honorary member at Com-
mencement, 1914. Informal speeches
were made by Worcester, Parker, Ban-
croft, Browne, Moore, Littauer, Sullivan,
and others, and some of the old songs
were sung under the leadership of Hard-
ing. On Commencement Day the usual
spread was served at Stoughton 4, and a
brief business meeting held.

Rev. Edward Hale, See.,
5 Circuit Road. Chestnut Hill.
Fihy members of the Class were pres-
ent at the dinner at the University Club,
Boston, Wednesday evening, June 2S.
R. W. Ellis was toastmaster and L. B.
Harding had charge of the singing.
There were brief speeches by Francis
Ahny, E. L. Baylies. I. T. Burr, W. B.
de las Casas, F. L. Crawford, and F. W.
Taussig. £. D. Sibley read a short story,
and Nat M. Brigham sang "Seeing
Nellie Home." On Commencement Day
thirty men came to 18 Holworthy and
twenty remained for the afternoon
speaking.— W. De W. Hyde was elected
an Overseer on Commencement Day. —
At the presentation of a portrait of
President Eliot to the Eliot School of

Digitized by



News from ike dasaes.


Newark, N.J.. by the Harvard Gub of
New Jersey* May 28, F. J. Swayae made
the address of presentation. — 6eoig«
Frederick Cook died at Mt Clemens,
Mictk^ Juie 14. He was bom at Brook-
Gm, Not. 8, 1856, the son of W. Webster
and Frances Augusta (Walker) Cook.
He prepared for College at the Allen
Sd&ool, West Newton, and was admitted
in July, 1875. The faU after graduation
he entered the Boston University Law
School, and in the spring of 1880 the law
office of Charles Wheeler in Boston. In
the spring of 1881 he sailed for Europe^
and after studsring German for six
months at Hanover matriculated at
Leipiig as a student of law. In 1884 he
returned from Germany, was admitted
to practice at the Minnesota Bar, and
in August opened an office at Brecten-
ridge, Bfinn., under the firm name of
Cook&Gontt. At the same time he bo*
came editor of the Wilkin Countg Qor
netU, and from 1885 to 1889 was post-
master of Breckenridge. In 1890 he bo*
came a reporter for the St. Paul PiomMr
Press, was then for three years dty editor
of the Nevi-Trihune at Dulutl^ for a
short time owned and edited a daily
paper at Sheboygan, Wis., and then was
for four years a reporter for the DaUif
New at Milwaukee. In 1895 ill health
obliged him to go to Colorado^ at first to
Denver, and then to Boulder, where he
engaged in the stationery and newspaper
business. In 1900 he returned to Boston,
intending not to go West again; but a
little later he began newspaper work in
Detroit, at first with the Daily TrUmne,
then with a new paper which had a
short life, and then on the staff of the
Detroit Free Preea where he continued
until about two years ago. He was mar-
ried at Dresden, Saxony, Feb. 82, 1883^
to Bertha Kummer, daughter of Julius
and Bertha Kummer, of St. Petersburg,
who survives him. — Nat Maynard

Bri^ham died suddenly at Hamilton,
O., Aug. 9, as he was about to take a
train for home. Although he took his
bachelor's degree with the Class of 1880
he was closely associated with the Class
of 1879 both in College and afterwards,
and no member of the Class was better
known or more loved. A fuller notice
win be given later.

JoBH WooDBintT, 8m^
14 Beacon St., Boston.
The Class cdebrated its 35th anniver*
sary of graduation on Wednesday, June
88, by a lunch at the Harvard Club, a

Online LibraryWilliam Richards Castle William Roscoe ThayerThe Harvard graduates' magazine → online text (page 22 of 103)