Copyright
William Richards Castle William Roscoe Thayer.

The Harvard graduates' magazine online

. (page 25 of 103)
Online LibraryWilliam Richards Castle William Roscoe ThayerThe Harvard graduates' magazine → online text (page 25 of 103)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Sargent, Dr. Allen M. Hervey, Lester B.
Murdock, Dr. Frank A. Richardson,
Biilton D. Grant, Hany A. Stone, John
W. Tarboz, Ernest Brehaut

1807.

W. L. Gabribon, Jr., See,,
60 State St.. Boston.
The annual Class dinner, held at the
Engineers* Club, Boston, on Wednesday,
June 28, was attended by 65 men. N. P.
Hallowell presided. W. H Phelps, who
has been in active business in Caracas,
VenesueLa, for the Ust decade, spoke
briefly of his South American experi-
ences; J. A. Sullivan, just returned from
northern Italy, told of his impressions of
the Italian campaign just opening; R. D.
Jenks, J. E. Gregg, S. H. Pillsbury, C.
W. Hobbs, W. W. Kennard, all spoke
briefly; D. Cheever read an amusing par^
ody of the report of the previous meet-
fug; F. Barry contributed a clever and
whimsical sermonette; J. W. Conndly,



G. E. Hills, T. B. Gannett, and A. H.
Parker warbled mellifluently or other-
wise as the case might be. — M. L. Fer«
said has been appointed Fisher Pro-
fessor of Natural History at Harvard,
with headquarters at the Gray Herba-
rium, Cambridge. — C. H. White has
been appointed Professor of Mining and
Metallurgy. — L. F. Crawford, of Sen-
tinel Butte, N.D., has been appointed a
member of the North DakoU SUte
Board of Regents, for a term of six years.

— J. M. Meserve is chairman of the
Town Finance Committee of Hudson. —
A. D. Adams is serving as Public Serv-
ice Engineer at Natick. — C. W. Wads-
worth is still in Persia, presumably at
Teheran. — D. J. Shea is practising law
in the office of Albert S. Apsey, 15 SUte
St., Boston. — Recent books published
by members of the Class are: The Indu
vidual Delinqueni, by William Healy;
Diseases of the Bronchi, Lungs and
Pleura, by Dr. Frederick T. Lord; Sis-
tine Eve and Other Poems, by Percy
MacKaye; Life of Edtoard Rowland
Sill, by William B. Parker; The Pan
Angles, by Sinclair Kennedy. — J. A.
Carpenter*s suite. Adventures in a Per -
ambulator, was performed March 10 and
20 by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

— Please note the following changes of
address: Arthur W. P^val, Exeter,
Cal.; Percy Shaw, The Castle Inn, St.
George, SUten Island, N.Y.; H. K.
Stanley, 100 Halsey St., Newark, N.J.,
H. D. CleveUnd, 114 Stote St., Boston;
G. R. Lyman, Federal Horticultural
Board, Dept. of Agriculture, Washing-
ton, D.C.; D. Sullivan, 118 East 20th St.,
N.Y. City; W. E. Felton, Bolton; C. L.
Smith reopens in the fall the CLawrence
Smith School for Boys, at 111 East 60th
St., N.Y. City; Rev. L. K. Smith, rector
of St. Mark's Church, Des Moine8,Iowa;
Sinclair Kennedy, Beacon St., Brookline;
W. B. Parker, 82 Broadwi^, N.Y.



Digitized by



Google



178



NewBfrom the Classes.



[September,



City: R. C. Skinner, 29 Commonwealth
Ave., Boston; C. D. Drew, 242 Sanford
Ave., Flushing, N.Y. — E. H. Wells has
returned from England. — The Secre-
tary would be glad to leam the addresses
of George Buckman, George Pierce Wad-
ley, Henry Haven Morgan, Chester
Franklin Stiles. — Among those who
were lost in the Lusiiania disaster was
Elbert Hubbard, who took a special
course in English at Harvard during the
year 188S-M, and was therefore induded
among those socially aflUiated with the
Class of *97, as his year at Harvard co-
incided with our entrance year. — No-
tice has been sent to the Secretary of the
death of John C. Hurley, at Sharon,
May 22, 1915. He was bom at Fall
River, Nov. 2, 1875, and was the son of
Patrick J. and Margaret Collins Hurley.
He prepared for College at the B. M. C.
Durfee High School, being at Cambridge
during the year 1893-94 only. Since that
time he has never enjoyed good health,
and has occupied himself largely with
the study of nature and simple outdoor
recreations. The Secretary would be
glad to get in touch with some dassmate
who was intimate with Hurley, who will
assist him in preparing a suitable bio-
graphical statement for the next Class
Report.

1898.

B. H. Hates, See,^
Andover.
The Class held its usual Commence-
ment Day spread in 23 Holworthy, and
it was well attended; 42 men turned up
at the informal reunion at Nantasket
and the N.E. Kennel Club. The "gang"
gathered at the Harvard Club and from
there went by automobiles to Nantasket
for a baseball game (soft ball) on the
beach with 1912 and a swim. In spite
of the fact that '12 played with ten men
on their team and two umpires (includ-



ing J. E. Norton Shaw), the Boston pa-
pers announced a '98 victory. From Nan-
tasket we went to the Kennel Club for
a fine supper and a very enjoyable even-
ing. — Dr. A. H. Rice came back from
France in order to receive an honorary
degree of A.M. from Harvard. This is
the first honorary degree conferred on a
'98 man by Harvard. — Chester N. Green-
ough has been made a full professor of
English at Harvard. — William H.
Records, "socially connected" and long
among the "lost men," has at last been
found. He is a fruit-grower and is con-
nected with the nursery firm of J. G.
Harrison & Sons, Berlin, Md. — F. V.
Edgell is with H. M. Haven and Wm. W.
Crosby, engineers and architects. Broad
and Central Sts., Boston. —J. H. lib-
bey is with the Bay State Street R.R.
Co., Boston. — The following changes of
address should be noted; F. A. Vau^m,
1908 East St., Cleveland, O.; J. A. But-
ler, 70 Kempton St., Wollaston; J. H.
Ubbey, 84 SUte St., Boston; Ward Bon-
sall, 945 Oliver BIdg., Pittsbur^^ Pa.;
J. E. Huiskamp, 1111 N. EuUw St.,
Baltimore, Md.; A. V. A. B. McCauley,
17 So. 19th St., Harrisburg, Pa.; W. M.
Holden, 844 Bryant Ave., Winnetka,
111.; F. C. White, 1314 Majestic Bldg..
Milwaukee, ^s.; P. B. Wells, Lake
Pladd School, Lake PUcid, N.Y.; J. L.
Boysen, Univ. of Texas, Austin, Texas;
J. H. Kimmons, 131 So. Menard Ave.,
Chicago, 111.; Dr. F. P. Brown, 29 Wil-
low St., Brooklyn, N.Y.; C. H. Ely, 78
Devonshire St., Boston; F. H. Thomp-
son, Jr., 168 Richard St., Fitdiburg. —
Commencement Day notices were sent
to the following men, but were returned
for want of proper address. Any infor-
mation concerning them will be grate-
fully received by your Secretary: Dr.
R. A. Whitford. Dr. J. M. Myer, Wm.
S. Fish, W. D. M. Howard, J. D. Kum-
ett. C. C. Bull, Winslow Mallory, J. S.



Digitized by



Google



1915-]



NewBfrom the Cltuses.



179



Bantow, G. P. Morey, Philip Hay-
ward, G. F. Hurt, J. H. Cropley, J. S.
Elliot, C. A. Barnard. — Ernest Mil-
ton Shaw, aaa of Charles Daniel and
Clara Frances (Norcross) Shaw, was
bom at Greenville, Me., Sept. 10,
1876, and died at Greenville, April 23,
1915. He prepared for Harvard at the
Cobum Classical Institnte of Water-
ville. Me., and entered College in the
fall of 1804. He left College at the end
of our Sophomore year and entered the
lumber business at Bath, Me., and later
on became associated with his father at
Greenville, Me., where he lived up to
the time of his death. Shaw was un-
married.

1899.
Abthub Adamb, 8ec^
135 Devoiuhire St., Botton.
J The annual outing was held this year
June 21. About 80 had lunch at the
Harvard Qub of Boston at 12.80, and
afterwards boarded automobiles under
the guidance of Henry H. Hill for South-
boro. Through the courtesy of the au-
thorities of St. Mark's School we had the
use of the school grounds and gsrmnas-
ium with shower baths, etc., which were
very much appreciated. Baseball and
tennis were played there, while many
found enjoyment in wandering about the
grounds which were very beautiful; still
others played golf at the Southboro
Country Club. Additional men arrived
only in time for dinner, while a few who
were at lunch could not come to South-
boro, so about 85 had dinner at the
Southboro Arms, of which J. Augustus
George is proprietor. He provided a
delicious dinner, and soon after all were
on their way home. Altogether the out-
ing was voted one of the very best the
Class ever held in an "off year"; and the
idea of visiting one of our best boarding-
flcfaoob seemed to meet with approval



There were no formal speeches, but a
telegram was sent to P. D. Haughton^
who was at New Haven with the base-
ball team prepared to win from Yale the
next day. — John F. Perkins has been
elected secretary and treasurer of the
Calumet and Hecla Mining Co. — John
Ware has given up his work at Downey,
Idaho^ and returned to Massachusetts;
address. East Milton. — Donald M.
Frost has opened an office for the general
practice of law at 60 State St., Boston,
— Rev. Cicero A. Henderson, one of the
'*lost men " in the Quindeoennial Report,
has been located. He is minister of a
church in Hopedale. Benjamin T.
Creden is now the only *99 degree holder
who is "lost." — James C. Howe has
resigned as vice-president of the Saoo
Lowell Shops, and is vice-president of
the Old Colony Trust Co., Boston.
There are now 4 '99ers with the Old Col-
ony: W. B. Donham and J. C. Howe^
vice-presidents; S. P. Shaw, Jr., secre-
tary; and W. F. Wyeth, manager of
Bond Department. — P. D. Haughton
was bead coach of the Harvard Base-
ball Team for the last half of the season.
After a very discouraging start, under
his skilful and enthusiastic guidance the
team won both the Princeton and Yale
series, thus furnishing further proof of
Haughton's versatility and ability as a
successful athletic coach. — George F.
Baker, Jr., is Commodore of the New
York Yacht Club.

1900.
Abthur Drinkwater, 8ec.t
69 Temple PI., Boston.
The Quindecennial Reunion of the
Class was most satisfactory. About 270
men attended on one or another of the
celebration days. The preliminary gath-
ering took place at the Harvard Club of
Boston on Monday morning, June 21.
Badges, ties, hatbands, and white hats



Digitized by



Google



180



Ifew$from the Claues.



[September,



bearing the Clan numenJs were pro-
Tided. After an hour and a half of pleas-
ant greeting of old friends the members
of the Class went to Plymouth in some
fifty motors. A prearranged arrest of the
whole procession at Hanover Four Cor-
ners made an exciting and amusing
break in the journQT. After an excellent
luncheon at the Hotel Pilgrim at Ply-
mouth, the men played baseball, tennis^
and golf, and many enjoyed a swim be-
fore dinner. The evening entertainment
consisted of a mock trial. The presiding
judge was Biddle, assisted by numerous
associate judges; the counsel were Ed-
munds and Glidden; and the parties
were Beardsell, plaint]£F, and Cyril
Hatch, defendant. The action, nature
ally, was for breach of promise. We
spent the ni^t at the hotel. On Tues-
day morning out-of-door sports were
again made much of. In the afternoon
we returned to Boston. On Wednesday
morning Soldier's Field was the scene of
various contests, tennis, baseball, and
rowing, with the CUss of 1910. After
luncheon at the Newell Boat House,
every man slung over his shoulder a
drum, provided for us by Converse, and
assisted the band while we marched
to our seats at the Harvard- Yale Base-
ball Game. After the exciting victory
the Class dinner was held at the Hotel
Somerset. About 295 men were present.
Edmunds was toastmaster. Remarks
were made by Ayer, Saltonstall, Si-
monds, Bissell, and Glidden. W. P.
Eaton read a poem. W. R. Evans, Jr.,
impersonating Capt. Clarence Wiener,
performed his take-off so realistically
that a number of men were uncertain at
the end of it whether Wiener himself was
not the speaker. A very handsome lov-
ing-cup was given to the Class Secretary,
who is glad of this chance to express
again his deep gratitude for the beauti-
ful gift and his appreciation 6f the kind-



: and good-will which prompted it
His performance of his duties, with its
many shortcomings, did not merit such
a wonderful present. With the dinner
the official reunion of the Class ended.
On Thursday,Commenoement Day, b^
tween 125 and 150 men attended the
Class spread in our tent behind Hollis
Hall. On Friday about 00 men went
to New London and witnessed the Har-
vard-Yale race, which proved not to be
the hoped-for victory. — Dwight F.
Davis has been elected an Overseer of
Harvard College. — H. L. Rothenburg
is with the Cut Price Auto Company,
501 Boylston St., Boston.-— H. S.
Bowers is in the N.Y. office of Goldman,
Sachs & Company, 00 Wall St., N.Y. —
A. H. Shearer recently pubHshed in the
Bulletin of the Newberry library, Chi-
cago, lU., a list of documentary material
relating to state and constitutional
conventions. — F. Wyman, 2d, is vice-
president of the Davey Tree Export
Company, of Kent, Ohio; address,
58 Waverly St., Brookline. ~ R. D.
Crane is secretary of the Board of Trader
Cambridge. — G. F. Furiong's address
is care of Miss Elisabeth Furlong,
878 Union St., St. John, N.B. Miss Fur-
long wrote on June 0: '*My brother
Gerald is now in England with the 24th
Battalion (Victoria Rifles) and expects
to be sent 'somewhere' in Fhmce in six
weeks. I have forwarded his mail, but
I fancy it will be a long time getting to
him and equally as long before you hear
from him! Wishing you success for
June 20th week!" —The addresses of
the following men are: P. F. Brown,
home, 140 Larch Road, Cambridge;
business. Combined Heat and Sprinkler
Co., 54 Canal St., Boston; J. H. Lee,
care Mrs. Joseph Lee, Lee Inn, Squan-
tum; A. S. Hills, 541 West End Ave.,
N.Y.; H. E. Stephenson, business, care
C. M. Kimball Co., Winthrop; home.



Digitized by



Google



1915.]



News from the Claeees*



181



64 Charlesgate East* Boston; T. Ord-
way, Albaoy Medical School, Union
University, Albany, N.Y.; W. L. Holt,
27 m^iland Places Maplewood, NJ.;
H. L. Hughes, "Little Grange," Bound
Brook, NJ.; C. H. Taylor, 626 Trum-
bull Ave., Detroit, Midi.; C. Harbeck,
The Bdnord, 280 West 87 St, N.Y.;

A. F. Gotthold, 162 W. 54th St., N.Y.;

B. Cohen, 801 West End Ave., N.Y.;
H. J. Alexander, business, 143 W. 40th
St., N.Y.; M. Davis, 701 North £. St.,
Tacoma, Wash.; J. E. McGawley, Lyme,
Conn.; G. W. Walter, care Franklin
Walter, Jr., 89 ^^throp Road, Brook-
line; R. R. Kent, 85 Crescent St., Au-
bumdale; H. B. Moore, 712 East Dia-
mond St., Alle^ny, Pa; T. Crimmins,
home, 176 E. 72d St., N.Y.; busuess,
SO £. 42d St., N. Y.; S. G. Sak>mon, busi-
ness, 118-119 West 17th St., N.Y.; A. S.
Clark, 6 Oak St., Far Rodcaway, Long
laland, N.Y. — F. E. Smith, Jr., R.FJ).,
Fozboro; besides continuing his work on
the BosUm Post, is devoting part of his
time to his farm at Fozboro. — Capt.
Marlborough Churchill is in charge of

. the mflitia practice at Tobyanna, Pa.

1902.

B. WsNDSLU Jr., See.,
44 State St.. Boston.
William T. Arms*s home address is
718 Commonwealth Ave., Boston, and
his business address, 50 Congress St.,
Boston. — Milton Jacob Bach's home
address is 74 East 79th St., N.Y.; busi-
ness address, 44 Cedar St, N.Y.—
Herbert Sumner Baker's home address is
now 501 West 138th St., N.Y.— Guy
Bancroft's business address is SO Kilby
St., Boston.— Harold Fletcher Barber's
home address is 158 Newtonville Ave.,
Newtonville. — E. B. Bhikely's address
is 219 Pine St., Muskegon, Mich., busi-
ness address, care Blakely Engine Co.
— F. R. Boyd's home address is 14 Hil-



liard St, Cambridge. — J. G. Bradley
has a son, J. G. Bradley, Jr., bom March
15, 1915. — Walter L. Bryant's new
business address is 52 WaU St., N.Y. —
Thomas S. Bubier's new business ad-
dress is 14 Central Ave., Lynn. — R. J.
Buckley's new business address is 703
Cuyahoga Bid., CleveUnd, O. — Patrick
F. Butler's home address is 94 Pleasant
St., Brookline; business address, 520
Beacon St., Boston. — Guy E. Carle-
ton's home address is Carletondale, Ring
Wood Manor, N.J. — Glen Carley,
Sharon, Pa., has a son bom May 26,
1914. — J. O. Carson's present home
address is Pahdma Ave., Hollis, Long
Isknd, N.Y. — Merrill E. Champion is
now State District Health Officer; home
address, 50 Phillips St, WoUaston. —
Edward B. Cole is now captain in the
U.S. Marines. — C. E. Corson is with
the Philadelphia Steel Co. at Stedton,
Pa.; home address, 528 Spmce St, Steel-
ton, Pa. — Borden Covell's present ad-
dress is Minot — R. J. Cran's home ad-
dress is Lanark Road, Aberdeen, Boston;
he has a son, Robert J., Jr., bom May 5,
1914. — Joseph M. Cudahy is now liv-
ing at 1415 Astor St., Chicago, 111. —
£. G. Cushman's new business address
is Carey Bldg, Taunton. — E. P.
Dewes's new home address is 2314 lin-
oolnPark West Chicago, 111. —Arthur S.
Dewing's home address is 700 ForestSt,
New Haven, Conn.; business address,
27 Old Sloan Hall, New Ha ven. Conn. —
J. F« Dwinell, Winchester, has a son,
John, born Jan. 31, 1915 — W. B. Em-
mons has a son, W. B. Emmons, Jr., bom
March 17, 1914. — George B. Emoiy's
address is 31 Lincoln Park, Newark, N. J.
— Howard B. Gates's home address is
127 37th St., Minneapolis; business ad-
dress, 937 Plymouth Bldg, Minneapolis,
Minn. — James A. Gibson's home ad-
dress is 104 Cousins St., Columbus, O.;
business address, 13 Chemistry Bldg,



Digitized by



Google



182



News from the CfloBses.



[September,



Columbus, O. — Isador Grossman has a
son, Edward, born Feb., 1915; his home
address is 11420 Ashbury Ave., Cleve-
land, O. — Herbert B. House's busineas
address ia care C. E. House & Son, Inc^
South Manchester, Conn.

1005.

S. W. HiKCKLEnr, See,,
25 Brood St.. New York.
From June 21 through June 25 the
Class celebrated its Decennial in truly
royal fashion. Beginning with an outing
of a day and a half at Swampscott, in
whidi every amusement was provided,
to the accomfMiniment of copious and
sustained liquid refreshments, the Class
rolled itself along the primrose way of
good-fellowship until, after the New
London races, a halt was called until
June, 1920. Never has there been sudi a
celebration at Cambridge; and never has
there been sudi a happy gathering of re-
united Harvard men. On Tuesday, June
22, we clothed ourselves in orange-and-
black blazers and white flannel trousers,
and marched in the shape of a large 1905
upon the brilliant Class Day crowd gath-
ered in the Stadium. From a distance we
looked like a swarm of wasps, while the
buzzing of our band, which, by the way,
was always with us, completed this illu-
sion. Of course the yeUs that greeted us
were deafening, and even the soberest
became elated at the ovation. Wednes-
day, however, was our greatest day. In
the morning our ever young athletes de-
feated the Class of 1900 in baseball and
on the river, and in the evening our boy
orators and warblers made the night one
long to be remembered. Thursday as
usual we met in Holworthy and played
an important part in the Commencement
scenery. Friday was the only day of re-
gret, for our Decennial closed at New
London and Quindecennial was five long
years away. For all the work and enthu-



siasm that the leaders in our Decennial
displayed, the unanimous and unbound-
ed gratitude of their dassmates should
be ample compensation. Their work was
long and arduous, but their success was
complete. — S. B. Weld's address is San
Juandio, Republic of Honduras, Central
America. — John De R. Storey is con-
tinuing the practice of the law at Room
404, 66 Liberty St., N. Y. City. — Prent-
ice Sanger has removed his offices from
881 Madison Ave. to 8 West 40th St.,
N.Y.City.

1906.
Nicholas Kellet, Sec,,
111 Broadway. New York, N.Y.
Forty members of the Class held their
annual outing on June 22 at Mystety
Island, Beverly Farms. In the afternoon
there was baseba]!, and after dinner the
crowd returned to Boston on the 8
o'dock train. — C. R. Reed has been
dected sdiool superintendent of the
Amherst Pdham district for three years
from Sept. 1. — E. N. Tob^, assistant
dty bacteriologist of St. Louis, Mo., and
a lecturer on Tropical Medicine in Wash-
ington University, has gone, with two
members of the Washington Faculty, to
study the diseases, poisons, and insects
peculiar to Guatemala and Honduras.

1907.

John Retnolds, See,,
2 Wan St., New York. N.Y.
The Widener Memorial Library, given
to Harvard by Mrs. Widener in memory
of her son Harry EUdns Widener, who
was lost in the Tiianie disaster, was
dedicated on Commencement Day. An
inscription in memory of Widener was
placed in the new library by the Class,
which was represented at the dedication
exerdses by J. P. Lane, J. B. Russell,
S. T. Gano, G. W. Bailey, and J. Rey-
nolds. Mrs. Widener requested the



Digitized by



Google



1915.]



News from lM ClasBes.



188



Secretary to express to the Class her
thanks and appreciation of the inscrip-
tion. — On Commencement Day the
CLus occupied for the first time its new
headquarters at 24 Stoughton Hall, a
very desirable room in the entry next to
Holworthy Hall. This fact, and the
efforts of R. B. Gregg in inducing a large
number of men to attend the Class
spread, made the occasion much more
successful than usual. — J. B. Pierce is
a member of the law firm of Ropes,
Gray, Boyden & Perkins, 60 SUte St.,
Boston. — H. W. Koehler is a lieutenant
in the U.S. Navy in command of the
U.S.S. Pt9eaiaqua. His address b care
of the Navy Department. — R. S.
White's address is now Old Gulph Road,
Narberth, Pa. — W. F. Low is in the
insurance business with Theodore H.
Smith at 58 William St., N.Y. — E. B.
Stem is president of the New Orleans
Association of Commerce, and delivered
the Baccalaureate Address at the grad-
uation last June of the Senior class of the
f Louisiana State University and of the
New Orleans Public High Schools. —
P. C. Lockwood has left the New Eng-
land Tel. & Tel. Co. and is now with
Tower & Underwood, bankers, of 85
Devonshire St., Boston. — R. W. Fern-
aid's address is Petoskey, Mich. — G.
W. Waller's address is Morrisville, Pa.

— D. Gardner is a lieutenant of the City
of London Royal Regiment of Fusileers.

— J. D. Heilbom's address is 14 Fessen-
den St., Jamaica Plain, Boston. — S. P.
Fay and W. Lovell have been in the
motor service of the American Ambu-
lance Hospital in France. — H. L. Hig-
gins's address is now Johns Hopkins
Hospital, N. Broadway, Baltimore, Md.

— H. Giles is city engineer of Pocatelo,
Mon.— John Reynolds, playing with
his brother, won the doubles tennis tour-
naments at the outing of the New Jer-
sey Harvard Gub.



1908.
Gut Emerson, Sec..
80 Wall St., New York. N.Y.
Derby and Fahnestock have been giv-
ing a great deal of time and thought to
getting recruits for the business men's
training camp at Plattsburg, N.Y., held
from Aug. 10 to Sept. 6, under official
auspices, for the training of business and
professional men. — Fales announces
that he has opened an office for the gen-
eral practice of mechanical engineering,
including the construction and instal-
ment of machinery. He has, in addition
to a drafting-room, a large machine
shop in charge of an expert tool-maker,
and is consequently equipped not only
for experimental work, but for manu-
facturing, model-making, and general
machine work. His address is 231 West
Grand Ave., Chicago. — Hinkel has re-
cently been on an extended trip in con-
nection with several offers which have
come to him along the lines of manage-
ment of large dry goods and department
stores in various parts of the country.
The company he was formerly connected
with was involved in the recent Claffin
failures. — Lamed has recently visited
New York in connection with a very in-
teresting enlargement of the automobile
business in which he has been profitably
engaged with associates in Chicago dur-
ing the past year. — Marsh, who has
been since his graduation from the Law
School uninterruptedly with Hawkins,
Delafield & Longfellow, 90 Exchange PI.,
N.Y., has recently been accorded the
honor of having his name placed on the
stationery of the firm. — A son, George
Mixter, Jr., was bom to Mr. and Mrs.
George Mixter on June 25, 1915. —
Short has interested himself in the
work of the Harvard Club of Lon-
don to get money for relief work. The
work of his committee seems to be
very intelligently planned, and any



Digitized by



Google



184



News/rom ths Classes.



[September,



money sent to him would be intelli-
gently used, as he is near the scene of
action, and is in touch with the actual
needs of the hour. He may be addressed
in care of the Harvard Club of London.
^- Sweet is now engaged in giving four
musical courses at the Chautauqua In-
stitution. The offer of this chair to so
young a man is unusual, and is con-
sidered a good deal of an honor* The



Online LibraryWilliam Richards Castle William Roscoe ThayerThe Harvard graduates' magazine → online text (page 25 of 103)