Copyright
William Richards Castle William Roscoe Thayer.

The Harvard graduates' magazine online

. (page 42 of 103)
Online LibraryWilliam Richards Castle William Roscoe ThayerThe Harvard graduates' magazine → online text (page 42 of 103)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Administrative Board of Harvard Col-
lege for the year 1915-16: Byron Sat-
terlee Hurlbut, Dean; Charles Pomeroy



Digitized by



Google



804



Ober^effrf! Hecarda.



[December,



Parker, Robert DeCourcy Ward, George
Henry Chaae, Chester Noyea Greenough,
Arthur Becket Lamb, Heniy Aaron
Yeomans, Secretaiy; appointing the fol-
lowing persona to be members of the
Administrative Board of the Giaduate
School of Arts and Science for the year
1915-16: Charles Homer Haskins, Dean;
Edward Laurens Marie, George Foot
Moore, George Lyman Kittredge, Fred-
erick Jackson Turner, Elmer Peter
Kohler, William Fogg Osgood, Charies
Biulon Gulick, Reginald Aldworth
Daly, John Albrecht Walz, Ralph Bar-
ton Perry; appointing the following
Committee on the Regulation of Ath-
letic Sports for 1915-16: FacuUy mem-
bers: LeBaron Russell Briggs, Byron
Satterlee Huribut, Roger Irving Lee;
QraduaU members: Robert Frederick
Herrick, John Wells Farley, George
Peabody Gardner, Jr.; appointing Jo-
seph Standiffe Davis, Instructor in Eco-
nomics, from Sept. 1, 1915; Melvin
Thomas Copeland, Assistant Professor
of Marketing for five years from Sept.
1, 1915; Edward Cornelius Briggs, Pro-
fessor of Dental Materia Medica and
Therapeutics, Emeritus, from Sept. 1,
1915; and the Board toted to consent to
these votes.

The Secretary of the Board com-
municated a letter from Mr. Albert T.
Perkins, President of the Associated
Harvard Clubs, of May 8, 1915, ad-
dressed to the President of the Board,
calling his attention to a Report of a
Committee of the Associated Harvard
Clubs in 1914 to investigate the advis-
ability of extending the right to vote
for Overseers, together with the follow-
ing resolution, unanimously adopted by
said Clubs, to wit: ''Resolved, That the
Associated Harvard Clubs believe it
would be a wise and proper develop-
ment of a policy already inaugurated to
grant to all holders of Harvard degrees



the right to vote for overseers under the
same restrictions under which bachdors
of arts now exercise that privilege," and
requesting that this resolution be re-
ferred to the Board of Overseers for such
consideration as they shall see fit to
give thereto, and after debate thereon,
upon the motion of Senator Lodge, said
letter and resolution were referred to
the Executive Committee of the Board,
with instructions to ascertain what, if
any, action had been taken upon the
question of extending the right to vote
for Overseers by the Harvard Alumni
Association, and to report thereon at a
subsequent meeting of the Board.

Mr. Frothingham, on behalf of the
Executive Committee, presented the list
of Visiting and other Committees oi the
Board for the Academic year of 1915-
16, and the Board voted to accept and to
approve said list and said list was or-
dered to be printed.

The Board further ffoied that the
Executive Committee be authorised to
make such changes in, and additions to,
the list of Visiting Committees of the
Board as may be necessary, or as may
seem to it advisable, reporting the same,
when made, to the Board for their ap-
proval at the meeting next following said
action.

Mr. Frothingham presented the Re-
port of th^ Committee to Visit the
Astronomical Observatory, and on the
recommendation of the Executive Com-
mittee, it was accepted and ordered to
be printed.

The Secretary of the Board communi-
cated the following letter from Mr.
Roger Pierce, Secretary of the Harvard
Alumni Association:

30th June, 1915.
Mt dkar Mr. Wadb:

Question has arisen as to whether or not the
members of the Faculty of the Peabody Mu-
seum are OfficoB of Government and Instruc-
tion within the meaning of the act of Legis-
lature of 1865, and thereby denied the right



Digitized by



Google



1916.]



Frederick Ward Putnam.



805



to vote for membcra of the Boaid of Ovcneera.
The Harvard Alumni Aasodation would like to
have the opinion of the Board of Orerseen on
this queetion. I ahould appreciate it if you
would submit it to them for oooelderation at
their next meeting. Very sineerely yours,
RooaB Puucx.

And after debate thereon, upon the mo-
tion of President Lowell, it was re-
ferred to the Committee on Elections,
with instructions to report thereon at
a subsequent meeting of the Board.

Stated Meeting, October 11, 1915.
Held in University Hall. Cambxidce. at 2 p.m.

The following twenty-one members
were present: Mr. Lowell, the Plresident
of the University; Messrs. Davis, Dela-
no, Eliot, Felton, Fish, Forbes, Grordon*
Grant, Hallowell, Herrick, Higginson,
Marvin, Palmer, Sexton, Shattuck,
Slocum, W. B. Thayer, W. S. Thayer,
Wendell, Wister.

In the absence of the President of the
Board, Judge Grant was elected Presi-
dent pro tempore.

The vote of the President and Fellows
c^ Sept. 27, 1915, decting Jens Iverson
Westengard, Bemis Professor of Inter*
national Law, to serve from Sept 1,
1915, was taken from the table, and the
Board voted to consent to this vote.

The President of the University pre-
sented the votes of the President and
Fellows of Oct. 11, 1015, That the de-
gree of Bachelor of Arts conferred upon
Caileton Moore Magoun, June 24, 1915,
be dianged so as to read *'Bachdor of
Arts, as of the Class of 1916"; appoint-
ing Marshal Fabyan, Assistant Pro-,
fessor of Comparative Pathology for
five years from Sept. 1, 1915; establish-
ing the John B. and Buckminster Brown
Professorship of Orthopedic Surgery;
and the Board voted to consent to these
votes.

Judge Grant, on behalf of the Exe-
cutive Committee, communicated the
following appointments: George P.



Gardner to be a member of the Com-
mittee to Visit the DenUl School;
Lewis H. Farlow to be a member of the
Committee to Visit the Peabody Mu-
seum and the Division of Anthropology;
and the Board voted to approve said
appointments.

FREDERICK WARD PUTNAM.
R. B. Dixon, '97.

Frederick Ward Putnam, son of Eben-
eser and Elisabeth Appleton Putnam,
was bom in Salem, April 16, 1839. ffis
ancestors on both sides were early im-
migrants from England, the first Ameri-
can ancestor being John Putnam who
settled in Salem in 1640. The father,
grandfather, and greatrgrandfather of
Professor Putnam were all graduates of
Harvard College, and the assodatioos
of his mother's family had been dose
with the institution from its beginning.
Several of his forbears took part in the
Revolution, and one of his great-grand-
fathers, John Fiske, was captain of the
first armed vessel to be commissioned
in that struggle.

At an early age Professor Putnam
showed great interest in natural history,
but being promised an appointment at
West Point, he dedded to prepare him-
self for a militaiy career. The whole cur-
rent of his life was altered, however, by
a meeting with Louis Agassiz, who, rec-
ognizing in him a keen student, pur-
suaded him to take up natural history as
his life-work. Abandoning his prq[)ara-
tion for the military profession, therefore,
he devoted himself at once to the study
of birds, and was made Curator of Or-
nithology in the Essex Institute in 1856.
In the following year he was made A»-
sistant to Professor Agassiz, and enter-
ing the Lawrence Sdentific School, re-
cdved from it the degree of S.B. in 1862.
For a number of years he continued to



Digitized by



Google



806



Frederick Ward Putnam.



[December,



occupy himaelf with the study of animal
life, being appointed Curator of Verte-
brates at the Essex Institute, of Icthy-
dogy at the Boston Society of Natunl
History, and Assistant in the Museum of
Comparative Zoology at Harvard Uni-
versity. During this period he also had
some experience in museum admimstra-
tion, being made Superintendent of the
Museum of the Essex Institute and of
the Museum of the East Indian Ma-
rine Society in Salem, and later Di-
rector of the Museum of the Peabody
Academy of Sdence in the same dty.
Other positions held by him at this time
were those of Instructor in the Penikese
School of Natural History, 1874; As-
sistant, Kentucky Gedogical Survey,
1874; Assistant to United States En-
gineers, Surv^ West of the 100th Meri-
dian, 1876-70; State Commissioner of
Fish and Game, 1889-80. In 1873 he was
chosen to fill the important post of
Permanent Secretary of the American
Association for the Advancement of
Science, an office which he held for
twenty-five years. Professor Putnam's
connection with the Association lasted
through one of the most important peri-
ods of its life, and to his energy and ad-
ministrative ability much of its success
was due.

Although it was in the fidd of natural
history that Professor Putnam carried
on most of his work for many years, his
interest in ardueology was early aroused.
While attending the meeting of the
American Association at Montreal in
1857, he discovered on Mt. Royal a
small kitchen midden, and was thus
among the very first in this country to
recognize the presence of the remains of
prehistoric man. In 1874 Dr. Jeffries
Wyman, the first Curator of the Pea-
body Museum of American Archseology
and Ethnology, died, and Professor Put-
nam was appointed to the place. Thus



began his connection with the institu-
tion of which he was the Director for
over forty years. In 1880 he was made
Peabody IVofessor of American Arche-
ology and Ethnology, and served as
such until 1000 when he joined the group
of the Emeriti. During the nearly half-
oentury of his connection with the Mu-
seum, he labored unceasingly to build up
its collections, both by purchase and by
explorations in the fidd. He was one of
the first to realise the need of ardue-
ological and anthropological explora-
tion, and the great collections which he
gathered, and which place the Museum
in the forefront of the museums of this
oountiy, are witnesses of his success.

With his j^pointment to the Pea-
body Professorshq), Harvard Univer-
sity became one of the first institutions
in this country to offer instruction in
Anthropology and American Archeol-
ogy. Although always more active him-
self in museum and field work than in
teaching. Professor Putnam strove con-
stantly to devdop the instruction in his
chosen science, from the time when, be-
fore any courses were offered, he had
several voluntaiy students working
under his direction, to the very last days
of his life, when neariy a score of spe-
cialized courses were offered by the
Division of which he had for so long been
the head.

Striking as were the results of his work
here at Harvard, his influence was lit-
erally nation-wide, and he may justly
be called one of the founders of an-
thropology in America, the others being
Brinton of Pennsylvania and Powell of
Washington. In 1802 he was made Chief
of the Department of Anthropology at
the Worid's Columbian Exposition at
Chicago, and not only brought together
what was probably the greatest ar-
chaeological and anthropological exhibit
ever gathered in this oountiy up to that



Digitized by



Google



1915.]



Frederick Ward Putnam.



807



time, but collected by the aid of numer-
ouB ooUaboraton a vast mass of data in
regard to our native peoples which has
not yet been fidly worked up. The speci-
mens so brought together for the Expo-
sition became the nucleus of the present
Field Museum of Natural History, which
may thus be regarded, in its origins, as
largely of his making. In 1894 Profes-
sor Putnam was made Curator of An-
thropology in the American Museum of
Natural Histoiy in New Yoik City, and
for nearly ten years he applied to its
administration and to the building-up
of its collections the experience he had
gained in Cambridge and Chicago. It
was again laigdy due to his efforts that
the University of California established
a Department of Anthropology in 190S,
and he hdd the position of Professor of
Anthropology and Director of the An-
thropological Museum in that institu-
tion until hiB retirement in 1909.

In his long life of scientific work, a
great deal of Professor Putnam's atten-
tion was necessarily devoted to admini»-
trative and editorial duties. He found
time, nevertheless, for the writing of a
large number of scientific papers, and the
bibliography appended to the anniver-
saiy vdume, presented to him in 1909 by
lus associates and students, contains
something over four hundred titles. His
membership in scientific societies at
home and abroad was extensive. In this
country he was a member of the Na-
tional Academy, the American Academy
of Arts and Sciences, the American
Philosophical Society, and many others;
outside the United States he was an
honorary or corresponding member of
the Anthropological Societies of Great
Britain, Paris, Stockholm, Berlin, Rome,
Florence and Brussels, of the Royal So-
ciety of Edinburgh, and others of less
importance. In 1808 he received the
degree of A.M. from Williams College;



in 1894, the degree of S.D. from the Uni-
versity of Pennsylvania; and in 1896 the
Cross of the L^on of Honor from the
French Government.

Although Ph>fe8sor Putnam eariy
abandoned his intention of adopting a
military career, he preserved his in-
terest in military pursuits, and enlisted
in the Salem light Infantry in 1855, re-
maining an active member for only two
years, however. At the very outbreak of
the Civil War, when it was rumored that
Southern sympathisers were planning to
aeise the Cambridge Arsenal, it was
Professor Putnam who gathered the
squad of student volunteers who guarded
the state property. Later, he was anx-
ious to enlist in the cavalry regiment
which was being raised by his cousin
Pickering Allen, and was dissuaded from
this course by Louis Agassis only with
difficulty.

Professor Putnam was twice married:
in 1864, to Adelaide Martha Edmands,
of Cambridge, by whom he had three
children, two daughters and one son;
and, after her death fifteen years later,
he married, in 1882, Esther Ome Clarke,
of Chicago, who, with his three children,
survives him.

To his students and associates Pro-
fessor Putnam endeared himself by his
kindliness and sympathy. For every
one he had a cordial greeting, and a
pleasant word. He was ready always to
give unstintedly of his time, and, so far
as he was able, from his pocket, to help
any one who asked his aid. Until the
very last years, the great majority of
those in this country who were working
in the anthropologicfil fidd had been
associated more or less closely with him,
either as students or colleagues in the
various institutions of which he had
been a member. His loss, therefore, is
widely fdt, not only because he was an
able administrator and the last of the



Digitized by



Google



808



Baddife College.



[December,



three founders of aotluopological study
in America, but also because he had won
the affections of so many m a teacher
and a friend.

RADCLIFFE COLLEGE.
Bebiha M. Boodt, R. '09.

At a meeting of the Associates of Rad-
diffe College on Oct. 27, Alice H. Bur-
rage, '92 (Mrs. W. S. Burrage), was re-
elected Associate for a tenn of 8 years
from 1915, on the nomination of the
Alumnae. Prof. W. S. Ferguson was
appointed a member of the Academic
Boaid to take the place of Prof. E. F.
Gay.

Morning prayers for 1915-16 are in
charge of the following clergymen: Rev.
J. H. Ropes, D.D., Tuesday; Rev. Klr-
sopp Lake, D.D„ Wednesday; Rev. A.
P. Fitch, D,D., Thursday; Rev. Ray-
mond CaUdns, D.D., Friday; Rev. F.
M. Eliot, Saturday. The Dean leads
prayers on Monday morning.

The Dean represented the CoQege at
the opening of the Connecticut College
for Women, Oct. 9, and at the Fiftieth
Anniversary of Vassar College and the
Inauguration of President MacCracken,
Oct. 12 and 18.

Raddiffe College has received the fol-
lowing gifts: from the Specials' Club of
1914-15, $12 to be added to the Maiy
Coes Endowment Fund for Instruction;
from Bishop Lawrence, the sum of $50,
which has been used for the purchase of
a set of the works of William Morris
for the library; from Helen Boyd, '01,
191 books on folklore, a part of her
father's library. .A collection of about
800 books, bequeathed by Miss Helen
Collamore to the College for one of the
halls of residence, has been placed in the
living room of the Graduate House.
Through Mrs. Henry L. Higginson, as a
gift from the children and grandchildren



of Mrs. Agassis, there has come to the
College the sum of $200 for a gate to be
known as Agassis €rate in honor of Mrs.



The CoDunittee on Grounds, a com-
mittee of the Raddiffe Auxiliary com-
posed of Mrs. Arthur Lyman, Chairman,
Mrs. H. L. Higginson, Mrs. D. L. Pick-
man, Miss M. White, Plof. W. P.
Harris, and Prof. R. T. Jackson, which
was ai^winted last year, has held sev-
eral meetings for the formation of plans
for the general devdopment of the
grounds of Raddiffe College. An ap-
propriation of $500 was made by the
Council at its meeting in June for the
use of this committee. At a meeting
hdd in October the committee voted to
proceed at once to the building of a sec-
tion of 100 feet of brick wall in front of
Fay House.

The Committee on Resources — a
large committee representing the gov-
erning boards of the College, the gradu-
ates and former students, and the Rad-
diffe dubs, which was appointed two
years ago — since its first meeting in
June has been finding out from other
colleges their methods of reaching the
graduates all over the country and of
brin^^ng them into doser contact with
the college.

Everett House, 5S Garden Street, has
been opened this fall as a residence for
graduate students. Miss Emily A.
Daniell, a graduate of the class of '95, is
the mistress in charge. There are in
residence 14 students and the college
nurse. The rooms whidi are given over
to the use of the nurse are entirely sepa-
rate from the rest of the house and may
be reached by a separate entrance and
stairway. Besides the nurse's private
room and bath these rooms consist of
a rest ropm to be used by the students
at the discretion of the nurse, and an
office where the nurse keeps regular



Digitized by



Google



1916.]



Raddiffe College.



809



office lioiira. She alao keeps office hours
in the Gymnaflium two days a week, so
that the day students may consult her.
Miss Sarah Yerza and Mrs. F. O. Bar-
ton, who were in charge of the f umisb-
ing ol the new house, carried out in
their furnishing the general standards of
the other haUs of residence.

Under the direction of the Radcli£Fe
Guild bandages are being made and
rolled for the use of the Harvard Medical
Units stationed in Europe. These band-
ages are to be sent through the manager
of the Harvard Medical Units. On Oct.
£6, Dr. David Starr Jordan, Chancellor
of Leland Stanford Jr. University, spoke
to the students under the auspices of
the Radcliffe Guild. Dr. Jordan's sub-
ject was "The Peace Maker in Histoiy."
Hie first vocational meeting in charge
of the Bureau of Occupations was held
on Oct. 11. Miss Marian NichoU spoke
on Civil Service.

The report of the Librarian for the
year 1914-15 shows that during the year
2168 volumes were added to the li-
brary ,whidi now contains 85,328 books.
857 volumes came from the library of
the late Prof. W. W. Goodwin, 117 vo^
umes from Mrs. C. Duane Williams,
S8 volumes from Prof. W. G. Howard,
and complete sets of the American
Journal of IntemationaJ Law, The Sup-
plement to the American Journal of In-



ternational Law, and the Proceedings
of the American Society of International
Law, with continuing subscriptions,
from Ph)f. Samuel Williston. Since it
has been possible to get but few foreign
books this year, the money whidi would
be spent in normal years for such books
has been used for periodicals.

For the year 1915-16 a change is to be
made in the gymnasium regulations.
Up to this time gymnasium work has
been optional. By a vote of the Council
in June it was decided that eveiy student
in the fall of her Freshman year should
have a physical examination, and should
report to the Director of the Gymnar
slum for such exercises as seemed wise
for her to take. In the case of students
who live at a distance this gymnasium
requirement may mean simply a cer-
tain amount of walking or the doing of
a certain group of exercises under the
Director's supervision. At the end of
the year the Director of the Gymnasium
makes to the Dean a report about each
member of the Freshman class for the
office records.

In September, before the opening day
of College, the memorial tablet to Miss
Coes, designed by Mr. A. W. Long-
fellow, was set in place in the main hall-
way in Fay House. On the tablet in
most beautifully cut letters is this in-
scription, written by Pres. Briggs:



MARY COES
A.B. 1887 A.M. 1897

SECRETABY OF RADCUFFE COLLEGE 18M-1010

DEAN OF RADCLIFFE COLLEGE 1»10~1018

BORN IN WORCESTER MARCH 84 IMl DIED IN BROOKUNE AUGUST 16 1918

TO THE COLLEGE A LOVER TO THE STUDENT S A F RIEND

GENEROUS IN GIVING WISE IN COUNSEL SELF-FORGETFUL IN DEVOTION

FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH



The reg]stratk>n on Nov. 1 is 660.
There are 118 graduate students. 88
hold the Radcliffe A.B. degree and 1 the
A.A. degree. 18 are graduates of Smith



CoUege, 12 of Wdlesley, 7 of Vassar, 5
each of Bryn Mawr and Mount Hol-
yoke, 4 of Boston University, 8 eadi of
Hollins and Swarthmore. The others.



Digitized by



Google



310 Saddiffe College. [December,

no two of whom are graduates of the Wye, Mount Holydce), 17 SenuMv (EL

same college, represent 89 colleges and S. Baker, F. M. Ball, K. E. Barr, B. V.

universities. Brown, H. W. Browne, G. E. Bush, D.

The results of the final examinations F. Evarts, M. V. Johnson, C. M. lieder,

in 1015 are given in the following table: A. Nichols, M. J. Quigley, R. M. Sey-

* J .-Lx J Au A j.^ u nij moup, A. M. Sheldon, C. Stemburg,

Admitted without condition by Old „ ^ „„ . «•„,,,«. ^ ,T

PUn 28 H. C. White, M. W. White. H. H.

Admitted without condition by New Worth), 13 Juniors (H. C. Bonney, S. E.

^^ - Carter, F. O. Grant, G. H. Harvey, H.

71 G. Kershaw, M. Miller, G. Raady, K.

Admitted with condition 33 E. Read, L. B. Roberts, D. E. Sampson,

Total admitted 104 M. Sands, A. C. Shaughnes^y, G. G.

2!l"!!i •^"1^°'' u^ 2*"* ^ J! Telfer), 8 Sophomores (H. L. Bassett,

Refused admuaon by New Plan .. . 23 ^, «, •„ ^ . », . . « ^ ,

— M. M. Hunt, B. A. Keith, E. C. Lan-
Total r^uMd admi«ion 36 nian, L. Lowe, B. I. McCobb, M. Taylor,

Final candidates m June who did not r^ xxr \ j a la l ro a

reappesr in September 11 ^' ▼Viener;, ana X rresnmen (r. A.

— Ring, and E. M. Spurr). Three Choral
Total number of final candidates. 160« Society schohirships of $100 each aw

I 3 candidates counted twice. ^^^^ ^^ ^ ^ ^^^^ ,^^ ^ ^^ ,j^

Of the 104 students admitted to the and P. C. Mariu, '17. The Freshman

Freshman cUss in June and September, scholarship of $800 o£Fered by the Dis-

1015, OS presented themselves for reg- tant Work G>mmittee is held by M. E.

istration in September. To these were Chace, of Fall River. In addition to

added 8 admitted previously, making a this scholarship the committee were

total of 101 in the Freshman cUss. 81 able to offer a scholarship of $100 which

come from Massachusetts, 6 from New is held by H. E. Nute, of North Conway,

Hampshire, 4 from Illinois, 2 each from N.H. The Freshman scholarship of the

G>nnecticut and New York, 1 each from Radcliffe Club of New York is held by

Maine, North Carolina, and Pennsyl- E.Wheelock; the scholarship of the Rad-

vania, 1 from Canada, and 2 come from cliffe Club of Chicago, by E. Gardner;

China. the Class of 1006 Room for a first-year

The MacDowell Resident Fellow- student, by M. L. Punderson, of Stock-
ship in Dramatic Composition, with a bridge; the Radcliffe Union Rocmi by H.
stipend of $000, open for competition J. Lobner, B. L. Mills College, 1915; a
to both Harvard and Radcliffe students, scholarship of $900 open to a graduate or
was awarded to Rachel B. Butler, of undergraduate student from the South,
Cincinnati, O., for a comedy in three offered by the Distant Work Committee
acts entitled ''Prudence in Particular." for the first time through the Southern

The Harvard Annex Alumnae Schol- Association of College Women, was

arship is held in 1915-16 by E. Jackson, awarded to A. E. Burnett, A. B. Ten-

'13; the Agnes Irwin Scholarshq) by E. nessee College, 1912.
M. Stevens, '16, of Philadelphia. The

other scholarships in the award of the aluioj ab.

College are held by 5 graduate students Marriages,

(M. W. Dickson, Ohio Wesleyan; E. 1903. Elisabeth Frances Wiswell to



Online LibraryWilliam Richards Castle William Roscoe ThayerThe Harvard graduates' magazine → online text (page 42 of 103)