William Richards Castle William Roscoe Thayer.

The Harvard graduates' magazine online

. (page 45 of 103)
Online LibraryWilliam Richards Castle William Roscoe ThayerThe Harvard graduates' magazine → online text (page 45 of 103)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

political and dvic improvement The
resolution was lost on the ground that
its passage would appear to outsiders as
a statement that Harvard Clubs were in-
tending officially to take part in politics.

At the business session at Muir Woods
the following were nominated and
elected officers for the succeeding year:
Pres., Thomas Lamont, '9S, of New
York; sec., E. M. Grossman, '96. of St
Louis; tieas., G. C. Kimball, *00, at
Pittsburg; Vice-Ptesidents: New Eng-
land Division, E. A. Harriman, *88, of
New Haven, Conn.; Eastern Di vision,
H. L. CUrk, '87, of Fhiladdphia;
Southern Division, David Fentress,
LL.B. '90, of Memphis, Tenn.; South-
western Division, H. A. Leekley, *96w
of Muskogee, OUa.; Central Division,
P. W. Herrick, *04. Qevehind, O.;
Western Division, A. T. Smith, *87,
Omaha, Neb.; Padfic Division, Wil-
liam Thomas, *78, of San JPrandsco,
Cal.; Foreign Division, J. H. Hyde^ '98.
of Paris. Proposals were then made as to
the meeting place for next year, and T.
W. Slocum, '90, and Minot Simons, '91.
two former presidents of the Assodated
Clubs, led Mr. Lamont to the chair.

The banquet was held at the Palace
Hotel on the evening of Aug. 21. William
Thomas, '73. toastmaster, and A. J.
Lowrey. '18, cheer leader. Horace Davis»
'49, wdcomed the delegates to San
Frandsco and spoke of the growing in-
fluence of Harvard on the Padfic Coast
Bishop William Lawrence. '71, repre-
senting President Lowell, spoke of af-
fairs in Cambridge and of the woiic of
the University along all lines. There
were short speeches also by Minot
Simons, '91. A. T. Perkins. '87, the re-
tiring president. T. W. Lamont, '92. the
new president, and by Rev. P. R. Froth-
ingham, '86. The dinner ended with the
singing of Fair Harvard.

There were 389 registered at the meet-

Digitized by


1915.] Harvard Clubs.— New England Federation.


mg, HoFBoe Davis, '49, being the oldest,
and H. M. Williams, '90, the youngest.
There were present men from 29 States
and from Hawaii, Japan, Italy, and


The seventh annual meeting of the
New England Federation of Harvard
Clubs was held in Springfidd on Satur-
day, Oct. 9, under the auspices of the
Connecticut Valley Harvard Club. It
was attended by about 100 men. The
business meeting was held at 10 a.m. at
the Country Club. The report of the
Secretary, H. F. Clarke, '05, emphasized
the fact that the Federation could, by
advice and encouragement, aid each
dub to do its particular work in the
most efficient manner, and strongly
urged the local dubs to appoint as mem-
bers of coDunittees men who would be
really active workers. Reports were
presented by the following conmiittees:
Relations with the University, J. D.
Phillips, '97, chairman, discussing the
possibilities of an Alumni Day at
Cambridge; Relations with Secondary
Schools, Luther Atwood, '83, chairman,
containing suggestions bearing on the
very important question of greater and
more cordial cooperation between the
University and the schools; Nominar
tions for Overseers, C. T. Billings, '84,
chairman, touching on possible ezteit-
sion of the franchise; Organization, H.
L. BeHsle, '90, chairman; Prices, J. S.
Ford, '94, chairman; Scholarships, S. W.
Phillips, '95, chairman; Cooperation
with the Alumni Association, J. G.
Blaine, Jr., '11, chairman. It was stated
that the following clubs in the Federa-
tion are supporting scholarships in the
University: Newton, 1, $150; Haverhill,
2, one of $125, another of a smaller
amount; Fall River, 1. $S00; Lowell,
2, $150 each; Boston, 5, $200 each; Law-

rence, 1, $200; Hingham, 1, $100; New
Bedford, 1, $250; Newburyport, 1, $150;
Connecticut Valley, 1, $200; Connecti-
cut, 1, $100; Worcester, 1, $200; New
Hampshire, 1, $150; Vermont, 1, $150;
Lynn, 1, $100. Report was made that
the Federation Scholarships for the year
had been awarded to C. P. Fuller, of
Mansfidd, and to Frederick Nosworthy,
of Hampton, Conn., R. £. Neal, of Lyim,
being alternate.

The •^nwiiiil dinner was hdd at 7
o'dock at the Hotd Kimball, George
Wigglesworth, '74, President of the Fed-
eration, acting as toastmaster. On the
table was a mass of crimson roses sent
by the Yale Alumni Association of West-
em Massachusetts. The speakers were
H. G. Chapin, '82, of Spriiigfield, Presi-
dent of the Coimecticut Valley Harvard
Club; T. W. Lamont, '92, of New Yoric,
President of the Associated Harvard
Clubs, who told of the San Frandsoo
meeting; Eliot Wadsworth, '98^ who
qx>keof his experiences during his trip in
Europe as representative of the Rocke-
feller Foundation for the purposes of
securing relief for the destitute Poles;
and President Lowell, who talked of
entrance examinations and current Uni-
versity affairs. The following officers
were dected for the ensuing year: Presi-
dent, Charles W. Eliot, '53, Cambridge;
vice-president, Howard Elliott, '81,
Boston; secretary, Hermaim F. Clarke,
'05, Boston; treasurer, Martin A. Tay-
lor, '89, Haverhill; honorary vice-presi-
dents, A. Lawrence Lowell, '77, Cam-
bridge; Ralph W. Ellis, '79, Springfidd;
Henry M. Rogers, '62, Boston; Hubert
G. Wilbur, '86, FaU River; William B. C.
Stickney, '65, Vermont; Everett J. Lake,
'92, Connecticut; Rev. Charles T. Bill-
ings, '84, Lowdl; Joseph S. Ford, '94,
Exeter, N.H.; Howard Coming, '90,
Bangor, Me.; Austen F. Riggs, '96,

Digitized by



Harvard Cltibs. — New York City. [December^


On Sept. Dr. E. H. Nichols, '^6,
spoke on "Experiences with the EUu^
vard Unit in France.** During October
an illustrated talk on '* Modem Field
Artillery*' was given by Capt. Maribor-
ough Churchill, *00, Captain Field
Artillery, U.S.A.; an illustrated talk on
the American Ambulance work in
France, by Dallas D. L. McGrew, '03;
an informal talk by Eliot Wadsworth,
'98, on his recent trip to Europe as a
member of the War Relief Commission
of the Rockefeller Foundation. On Oct.
22 a meeting was held in Harvard Hall
to hear a presentation of problems and
programs of national preparedness for
military emergencies. The guests of the
evening were Major-General Leonard
Wood, U.S.A., President LoweU, and
General Charles H. Cole, Adjutant-
General M.V.M. Before the meeting
the following members of the Club gave
a dinner to General Wood in the large
private dining-room on the second floor
of the Clubhouse: G. G. Bacon, '08, G.
H. Balch, '12, Edward Bowditch, Jr..
'OS, R. W. Boyden. '85. T. S. Bradlee,
*90, AUston Burr, '89, I. Tucker Burr,
*79, H. W. Estey, D.M.D., '97, J. W.
Fariey, '95, L. A. Frothingham, '93,
Warwick Greene, '01, H. S. Grew, '96,
Capt. R. K. Hale, '02, J. W. Hallowell,
'01. N. P. Hallowell, '97, R. F. Herrick,
'90, F. L. Higginson, Jr., '00, Major H.
L. Higginson, [^55], Benjamin Joy, '05,
James Lawrence, '01, Bishop William
Lawrence, *71, Capt. C. T. Lovering,
Jr.. '01. John Lowell, *77, F. S. Mead,
*87, R. B. Merriman, '96, G. B. Mori-
son, '83, Odin Roberts, '86, Capt. C. M.
Rotch. '01, Major J. H. Sherburne, '99.
F. S. Sturgis, '75, P. W. Thomson, *02,
Eliot Wadsworth, '98, Barrett Wendell,
Jr., '01, George Wigglesworth, '74.

T^ere were also present at the dinner
as guests: Senator Wedcs, Hon. George
von L. Meyer, '79, F. R. Coudert, Pros.
McLaurin, of M.I.T., Conmiander
James P. Parker, Walton Gieen, '05,
Jaspar Whiting, and Guy Murchie, '95.
Three new squash courts are in proc-
ess of construction over the present

P. W, Thomwn, '02, Sec.


The Harvard Qub of New York City
celebrated its Fiftieth Anniversary and
at the same time dedicated the new
addition to the Clubhouse on Wednes-
day, Nov. 3. 1915. A full account of this
occasion is given elsewhere in this num-
ber of the Magagine.

On Friday, Nov. 12, for the first time
since the construction of the addition,
the Club was thrown open to ladies, and
a reception or Ladies* Day was held in
the afternoon. A large number of the
members took this opportunity of show-
ing the Gub to their families and friends.

On the evening of Nov. 12. John S.
Reed, '10, who has just returned from
the Balkans, Constantinople, and Rus-
sia, where he has been since last March
as a war correspondent, and who from
August, 1914, to January. 1915, was
with the English, French, and German
armies on the Western Front, gave a talk
on his experiences on the Western Front
and on the Balkan Situation. Later
moving pictures were shown of the Har-
vard party on the Finland and of the
meeting of the Associated Harvard
Clubs in San Francisco last August.

The Club had three special trains to
Princeton on Nov. 6. and a special train
to Cambridge and return for the Yale
Game on Nov. 20.

Langdon P. Marvin, '98, Sec.

Digitized by



News from the Classes.



V The penonal news is oompUed from in-
formation furnished by the Qass Secretaries,
and by the Secretaries of Harvard Clubs and
AsBodations, and from other reliable sources.
The value of this department might be greatly
enhanced if Harvard men everywhere would
contribute to it. Responsibility for errors
should rest with the Editor.

V It becomes more and more difficult to
assign recent Harvard men to their proper
Class, since many who call themselves class-
mates take their degrees in di£Ferent years. It
sometimes happens, therefore, that, in the
news furnished by the Secretaries, tiie Class
rating of the Quinquennial Catakcue is not
strictly followed.

*^ Much additional personal news will be
found in the reports of the Harvard Clubs, in
the Corporation and Overseers' Records, and
in the University Notes.


Db. H. R. Stobeb, Sec,,
Newport, R.I.
Francis Charles Foster died at his
home in Cambridge Oct. 24» 1915.
He was bom in Boston March 17,
1829, the son of Leonard and Lydia
(Gaubert) Foster. At seven years of
age he was sent to Mr. Charles Green's
school at Jamaica Plain, and sub-
sequently attended the Derry (N.H.)
Academy and Mr. David Leach's
school at Roxbury, where he fitted for
Harvard. He graduated in 1850, and
had a part in the Commencement ex-
ercises. He also received a certificate
recommending him as qualified to fill
the position of instructor in Greek.
For three years after graduating he
lived in Philadelphia, and from 1854
to 1856 traveled in Europe. In 1858
he entered the Harvard Law School,
remaining a year, and in 1860 was
admitted to the Suffolk Bar. In 1879,
1885, and 1892, Mr. Foster again
visited Europe. Closely identified with
the Episcopal Church in Massachu-
setts, Mr. Foster had held, among
other offices, that of senior warden of
Christ Church, Cambridge, during
many years. He was at one time or

other connected with the Margaret
Coffin Prayerbook Society, Episcopal
Charitable Association, Trustees of
Donations, Society for Widows and
Orphans, and for three years was a
member of the Standing Committee
of the Diocese. He had been a trustee
and member of the executive com-
mittee of St. Luke's Home for Con-
valescents, vice-president and trustee
of the Cambridge Hospital, trustee
and life member of the Cambridge
Home for Aged People, and a director
in several business organizations. At
the time of his death he was the oldest
trustee in age and length of service
of St. Mark's School, Southborough,
trustee of Mt. Auburn Cemetery, and
a member of the following bodies:
Hasty Pudding Club, Harvard Union
Oife), Massachusetts Horticultural
Society (life). New England Historic
Genealogical Society (life), Boston
Y.M.C.A. (life), Episcopalian Club,
Bunker Hill Monument Association,
and Post 56, G.A.R., of Cambridge
(associate). He married at Savannah,
Ga., Nov. 24, 1857, Marion, daughter
of Edward and Elizabeth Louisa
(Farnum) Padelford. Mrs. Foster,
with a daughter, Mrs. C. BGrs Is-
dahl, and a son, Francis Apthorp
Foster [s 1891-92], survives him. An
elder son, Leonard, died in 1884; he
was a member of the Class of 1881,
but did not take the degree. To the
above notes furnished by the family,
the Secretary must add a word.
Foster's personality, as a youth and
even in old age, was peculiarly attrac-
tive. He was so unconscious of this,
with no trace whatever of self-ap-
preciation, that it added to the charm.
He was very gracious, generous, whole-
hearted, and, while showing no desire
of commendation therefor, a very
public-spirited man. This is shown by

Digitized by



News from the ClasMa.


his many affiliations with the cities of
Boston and Cambridge, and with his
church. His affection for his class-
mates was especially strong. In an
interview at his beautiful summer
home at Wood's Holl, after many
years of separation and but a few days
before his death, a brief hour was
spent in recalling College days and
the then intimates who had long and
prematurely left us. Though his gen-
eral strength was failing, he seemed
then able to outlive us all, and it is
hard to realise that he too has joined
the dear absentees. To the five who
remain, one of whom is now so feeble
that it has not been thought wise to
inform him of this death or that of
Robinson who left but a little earlier,
Foster's memory will be of a friend
who lived and died as a Harvard grad-
uate should, devotuM Chruio et Ec"


Dr. D. W. Cheever, Acting See^
557 Boylston St., Boston.

William Robert Ware died in Mil-
ton June 9, 1915; he was born at
Cambridge May 27, 1832. He was
the son of Rev. Henry Ware, Jr., and
Mary Lovell (Pickard) Ware. For
many years members of his family had
been connected with Harvard College.
He was descended on his mother's side
from the first master of the Boston
Latin School. Repeated illnesses
weakened his childhood and rendered
him at school unable to develop him-
self in athletics. At nine years of age
he went to Hopkins's School, Cam-
bridge. In 1843 he was sent to Milton
Academy. In 1840^ when fourteen
years of age, he was sent to England,
the voyage consuming thirty days; he
remained there four months. His
health was restored, and his innate

taste for architecture was fostered.
In 1847 he went to the Phillips Exeter
Academy, and entered Harvard Col-
lege in 1848. His gentle and genial
character was appreciated by his col-
lege class. At graduation he had a
Latin oration. He now became a priv-
ate tutor in New York; and in 1854
entered the Scientific School in Cam-
bridge. He remained there two years
and received the degree of S.B. He
then entered the office of Edward C.
Cabot, architect. In 1860 he entered
into partnership with Mr. Henry Van
Brunt, and began his professional
career as an architect. In this connec-
tion he designed the plans of many
important buildings in Boston, and
his firm erected Memorial Hall, Cam-
bridge, and the Ether Monument,
Public Garden, Boston. In 1865 he
became Professor of Architecture at
the Massachusetts Institute of Tech-
nology, and in 1881 Professor of Ar^
chitecture at Columbia University^
N.Y. He became Professor Emeritus
at Columbia in 1903. In 1896 he re-
ceived the degree of LL.D. from
Harvard. —Edward King Buttrick,
born Jan. 23, 1831, son of Ephraim
Buttrick and Mary King, who was
the daughter of a Revolutionary re-
fugee and lived at Halifax, N.S., died
at South Milwaukee, Wis., Nov. 12,
1915, at the age of 84. He was fitted
for College by Gideon F. Thayer, and
was graduated from Harvard in the
Class of 1852. He entered the Law
School in 1852, and was admitted to
the bar in 1855. After graduation he
formed a partnership with H. L.
Haselton. In June, 1855, he sailed for
Europe on account of hemorrhage of
the lungs. He returned in Jan., 1856,
and renewed the practice of the law.
In July of the same year, on account
of another hemorrhage, he gave up

Digitized by



News from the Claeaee.


the law and traveled in the West. In
1857 he entered the lumber business in
La Crosse, Wis. In 1858 and 1859 he
lost two mills by fire. In 1862 he
entered the U.S. Army service, and
recruited a company. He was made
captain of Co. H, 31st Wis. Infantry,
and joined the Army of the Cumber-
land. In Sept., 1863, he was left at
Columbus, Ky., with remittent fever.
In Dec., 1863, he rejoined his regi-
ment, and in 1854 was appointed aide-
de-camp to Brig.-Gen. A. Baird.
Sept. 20, 1866, he married Mary,
daughter of Amos Sawyer, of Mil-
waukee, Wis. Of this union there
were born in 1868 a daughter, and
in 1860 a son.

At the head of the Transcript's col-
umn of Class announcements for last
June stood the severely simple lines,
so familiar through the last half-cen-
tury, stating that a designated room
would be oi>en on Commencement Day
for the Class of 1853, and signed by
Secretary Shaw. But when Com-
mencement Day came, the Secretary
was unable to appear. The faithful
old servitor was at the room with his
modest spread. While, until 1015,
Shaw had been unfailing at his post,
having accepted it in 1863 in some-
thing of the spirit of a religious de-
votee, and while, of late years, it was
not unusual to muster a dosen class-
mates and a son or two of members
of the Class, and in one instance a
grandson, in 1015 but one member
found his way to the room to taste
what must have seemed like " funeral
baked meats,*' — and to commune
alone with silent memories of the
past. — Samuel Savage Shaw, life-
long Class Secretary of 1853, bom at
40 Mt. Vernon St., Boston, Oct. 16,

1833, died there Sept. 24, 1015. He
was the youngest child of Lemuel
Shaw, the great Chief Justice of
Massachusetts. He was fitted for
Harvard at the Boston Latin School,
entering the school at the age of
eleven, and, after passing creditably
through College, and enjoying all the
honors of good scholarship and of
club life, spent two years at the Law
School and a year in the office of Sid-
ney Bartlett, of Boston, and was ad-
mitted to the Su£Folk Bar, in 1856. The
next two years he devoted to an in-
structive and delightful tour of cer-
tain sections of Europe, and returned
to open an office in State St., in 1858.
Here, and in other law offices, he
passed the last days of his life, mostly
occupied with conveyancing and the
care and management of trust estates.
He was a man who formed strong
personal attachments and, in the half-
century of service as Class Secretary,
endeared himself in a very exceptional
way to his Harvard classmates. —
Joseph Mansfield Brown, a lifelong
resident of Washington, D.C., was
bom in Boston, Aug. 17, 1832, and
died there, in the 84th year of his age,
Sept. 12, 1015. No member of the
Class was more generally esteemed.
Of pleasing address, warm heart and
quiet manner, he had established, in
early years, a position of which he
might well be proud. He belonged to
that third of the membership of the
Class of '53 who entered Harvard
from the Boston Latin School with
credit in 1840, and, in 1852, he was an
organiser of the first inter-collegiate
boat-race between Yale and Harvard,
and was captain of the victorious
crew which rowed on Lake Winnepe-
saukee in the month of August, 1852.
In the Civil War he won distinguished
notice from Gen. Sheridan, and from

Digitized by



NewBjrom the CliusM.


Col. Charles R. Lowell, in whose regi-
ment he served, as lieutenant, as cai>-
taln, as major, and as brevet lieu-
tenant-colonel. He married, after
the war, Mary Virginia Royston. His
army connection closed in 1872, and
he had been of great service on the
staff of Gen. O. O. Howard, in or-
ganising and administering the Freed-
man's Bureau. He had been offered,
on recommendation of Gov. Andrew,
a cavalier commission in the regular
army. But this he declined. — Arthur
Theodore Lyman was bom in Boston
in 1832, the son of George Williams
and Anne (Pratt) Lyman. He was
educated in private schools and by
tutors, entering Harvard in 1849.
When he graduated in 1858 he was
one of the speakers at Commencement
and the sixth in rank of the first ten
in his Class. Immediately on leaving
College he entered the cotton business
and in this business his life has been
spent. He has been at various times
president, director, and trustee of
very many important companies, and
was known as one of the foremost
manufacturers of textiles in the coun-
try. Lyman has been a member of
the corporation of the Massachusetts
Institute of Technology and President
of the Boston Athenaeum. From 1892
to 1899 he was an Overseer of Har-
vard College. In 1859 he married Miss
Ella Lowell, of Boston. He is sur-
vived by three sons, Arthur, Herbert
and Ronald, and by three daughters,
the Misses Mabel and Julia Lyman
and Mrs. Richard C. Cabot.


Jeremiah Smitb, S«e.,
4 Berkeley St., Cambridge.

George Zacchens Adams died, at
Roxbury, Aug. 19, 1915. He was the
son of Charles and Nancy (Robbins)

Adams; and was born at Chelmsford,
April 23, 1838. He prepared for col-
lege at Phillips Academy, Andover.
He was admitted to the Massachu-
setts Bar June 26, 1858. He prac-
tised in Boston, at first in the firm of
Stevens & Adams, then by himself,
and later in the firm of Adams &
Blinn. In 1882 he was appointed a
special justice of the Munidpal Court
of Boston. In 1885 he declined the
offer of the position of associate jus-
tice of that court; but in 1896 he ac-
cepted an appointment to that posi-
tion. He served on that bench until
he resigned, on account of ill health,
in 1907. In 1894 he was elected a mem-
ber of the School Committee of Bos-
ton, and held that office for three
years. He was married, Sept. 16, 1861,
at Watertown, to Joanna Frances
Davenport, daughter of Charies
Davenport. He is survived by his
wife and three children: Mrs. G. A.
McElfresh, of Williamstown, Walter
D. Adams (Harv. *97), of Boston, and
Charles Z. Adams, of Newton Centre.
— Austin Flint, who died at New York
City, Sept. 22, 1915, was a member of
the Class during the Freshman year.
He was the son of Dr. (and Professor)
Austin Flint and Anne (Shillings)
Flint; and was born at Northampton,
March 28, 1836. In 1857 he received
the degree of M.D. from Jefferson
Medical College. In the medical pro-
fession Dr. Flint had a distinguished
career, as was becoming in the son
of his eminent father. He published
various works on professional topics,
and held several professorships, in-
cluding one at Bellevue Hospital
Medical College from 1861 to 1898.
He was at one time Surgeon-General
of the State of New York. Of late
years he has been a prominent au-
thority on alienism. He was married

Digitized by



News from the Classes.


at Ballston, N.Y., Dec. 23, 1862. to
Elisabeth B. McMaster. He is sur-
vived by his wife, and four children:
Dr. Austin Flint, Jr., Sherman, Elliott
F., and Anne Flint.


Abthub Read, Sec,,
27 Kilby St., Boston.
John Read, who was born in Cam-
bridge, May 10, 1840, died there July
29, 1915. He fitted for College at the
Cambridge High School and entered
the Class of 1862, where he at once
took high place. He was one of the
crew which defeated the Yale Sopho-
mores in 1862, and which three times
more that year was victorious in
prominent races. On graduation, he
found himself face to face with the
question confronting every member of
the Class, — What can I do for the
country? He entered the United
States Navy as an acting assistant
paymaster Nov. 7, 1862; was attached
to the United States ironclad ram
Keokuk in the attack on Charleston,
of April 7, 1863, when his vessel, lead-
ing the fleet, received ninety shots in
thirty minutes, many of which shots
penetrated her, so that she sank. He *
then joined the West Gulf Squadron
on the gunboat Oranite City, block-
ading the coasts of Louisiana and
Texas, and was in ten different en-
gagements there. May 6, 1864, in a
fight at Calcasieu Pass, La., Read was
captured and confined in Texas, a
prisoner of war, for seven and a half
months. Dec. 19, 1864, broken in
health, he was released, one of 32 sur-
vivors out of the 111 originally cap-
tured, 79 having died from neglect,
exposure, and insufficient food. As
soon as possible after his release, he
joined the United States sloop of war
Kearsarge, but was obliged from ill

health to resign from the service
March 18, 1865. After resigning from
the service, Read became a member
of his father's firm of William Read &
Sons, of Boston. He became a mem-
ber of the Cambridge Common Coun-
cil in 1881, of the Board of Aldermen

Online LibraryWilliam Richards Castle William Roscoe ThayerThe Harvard graduates' magazine → online text (page 45 of 103)