William Richards Castle William Roscoe Thayer.

The Harvard graduates' magazine online

. (page 72 of 103)
Online LibraryWilliam Richards Castle William Roscoe ThayerThe Harvard graduates' magazine → online text (page 72 of 103)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

dinner is held by the Committee on Reg-
imental Affairs having charge of the
winter's work, with the guests of the
evening as the guests of the committee.
At the meeting on Dec. 6, 1915, Capt.
Halsted Dorey, who was the Regimental
Commander at Plattsburg, ddivered the
lecture of the evening, and Gen. Wood
spoke; and at the meeting on Jan. 3,
1916, Capt. Gordon Johnston delivered
the lecture, and the speakers included
Maj.-Gen. John F. O'Ryan, of the N.Y.
National Guard, Lieut. Cosmo Hamil-
ton, of the Anti-Aircraft Corps of the
British Naval Air Service, Capt. An-
drews, of the U.S. Cavalry, and Gen.
Wood. At the meeting on Feb. 7, Capt.
Dorey delivered the lecture, and the
speakers included Capt. John Giffard of
the British Royal Horse Artillery, and
Major William I. Westervelt, of the
Ordnance Department, U.S.A.

The Harvard Engineering Society has
had some interesting meetings in the
Club. On Oct. 29, Capt. T. M. Robins
and Halsted Dorey, U.S.A., spoke on the
engineering phases of the preparedness
movement; at the annual dinner on Dec.
11, Gen. Wood, Hon. Frederic A. Dd-
ano, '85, Pres. Ira N. HoUis, of the Wor-
cester Polytechnic Institute, and Prof.
C. R. Mann, of the Carnegie Founda-
tion, were the speakers; at a meeting on
Jan. 29, Prof. J. B. Woodworth spoke
on the first Shaler Memorial Expedition
to South America, and at a meeting on
Feb. 9, Capt. Ernest F. Robinson spoke
again on the uses of engineers in warfare.

Digitized by



Harvard Clubs. — Nea York City.


On Jan. 28, the Harvard Law School
Association of New York City held its
annual meeting. The officers and execu-
tive committee gave a dinner before the
meeting to the guests of the evening. At
the nieeting James Byrne, '77, President
of the Association, presided, and intro-
duced Prof. Leon Dupriez, of the Uni-
versity of Louvain, Belgium, who read an
address on civil service in Europe. Hon.
Elihu Boot, LL.D. 1907, then made an
eloquent speech of welcome to Prof.
Dupriez, and his compatriot, M. de
Sadeleer, the Belgian Minister of State,
who replied expressing gratitude for
what America has done and is doing for
his country. The last speaker of the eve-
ning was Prof. Rosooe Pound, of the
Harvard Law School. The following
officers were elected for the ensuing year:
Pres., William Church Osbom, LL.B.
*88; vice-presidents, Victor Morawetz,
LL.B. '78, Samuel H. Ordway, LL.B.
'89, Augustus N. Hand, '90, LL.B. '94;
treas., Charles E. Hughes, Jr., LL.B. '12;
secretary, Albert L. Loomis, LL.B. '12;
exec, com., Albert Stickney, '97, LL.B.
'00, Philip A. CarroU, '02, LL.B. '06,
Ogden L. Mills, '04, LL.B. '07, Winthrop
W. Aldrich, '07, LL.B. '10, Van S.
Merle-Smith, LL.B. '14.

At the monthly meeting of the Har-
vard Club on Dec. 10, Lieut. Cosmo
Hamilton, of the Anti-Aircraft Corps of
the Royal Naval Air Service, talked on
the human side of the war. At the
monthly meeting on Jan. 14, Dr. Rich-
ard P. Strong, Ph.B., Yale, '98; M.D.,
Johns Hopkins, '97; Sc.D., Yale, '15,
Professor of Tropical Medicine in Har-
vard University, who was Director of
the American Red Cross Sanitary Com-
mission to Serbia, gave an illustrated
lecture on the typhus fever epidemic in
Serbia, with an account of the means
used to eradicate the disease. On Thurs-
day, Jan. 20, Percy D. Haughton, '99,

and R. W. P. Brown, '98, gave a football
talk with moving pictures. Before the
meeting a dinner was given to Messrs.
Haughton and Brown by the officers and
board of managers and the friends of
Messrs. Haughton and Brown, including
particularly the football men. At the
monthly meeting pf the Club, on Feb. 8,
Arthur Ruhl, '99, who had recently re-
turned from Europe, where he has been
during the great part of the war as a
correspondent, spoke on his experiences,
especially in eastern Europe.

The Sunday afternoon concerts began
on Sunday, Jan. 9, and continued until
Sunday, Feb. 27. On Jan. 9, there was a
concert by the Hoffmann String Quartet
of the Boston Symphony Orchestra; on
Jan. 16, Francis Rogers, '91, gave a song
recital in substitution for Herbert With-
erspoon, who had been suddenly taken
ill; on Jan. 23, David Sapirstein gave a
piano recital; on Jan. 80, there was a
concert by Hans Kronold, 'cello, and
Lewis Williams, '00, piano; on Feb. 6,
Albert Spalding gave a violin recital; on
Feb. IS, there was a song recital by Lam-
bert Murphy, '08, and Myron W. Whit-
ney, '95; on Feb. 20, there was a concert
by the Boston String Quartet of the Bos-
ton Symphony Orchestra; and on Feb.
27, a song recital by David Bispham.
These mid-winter concerts have become
a very popular institution.

The annual dinner of the Club was
held on Thursday, Feb. 17. It was de-
voted to reminiscences of the history of
the Club in commemoration of the fif-
tieth anniversary of the first Harvard
Club dinner. This first dinner was given
by Frederick A. Lane, '49, subsequently
President of the Club, at Delmonioo's on
Feb. 22, 1866. The speakers were Pres.
Hill, Dr. Jared Sparks, William M.
Evarts, representing Yale, Greorge Ban-
croft, Dr. Bellows, Dr. Willard Paricer,
Joseph H. Choate, J. L. Sibley, Libra-

Digitized by

Google —


News from the Classes.


rian ol Harvard* Rev. E. E. Hale, " and
Lawrence, hero of Fort Fisher," and a
poem by Oliver Wendell Holmes was
read. At the fiftieth anniverBary dinner
on Feb. 17, Amory G. Hodges, 74^
presided, and the speakers were F^mncts
R. Appleton, 76, "The Qub fkom 1870-
80," Evert Jansen Wendell, '82, ''The
Qub from 1880-00,'* and Thomas W.
Skxnim, '90, on recent history. The
music was in cfaante of the Chorister,
Frands Rogera '01.

Langdon P. Marnn, '06, Sec


The annual meeting and banquet of
the Harvard Club of Omaha was held on
Nov. 20. The following officers were
elected: F. A. Brogan, '85, pres.; C. S.
Elgutter, '87, vice-pres.; Ahin McDon-
ald, '12, sec.; and H. W. Yates, '01,


The annual dinner of the Club was
held on Nov. 80, about 75 members
being present Among the speakers were
the Hon. W. G. Sharp, American Am-
bassador, Prof. C. H. Grandgent, '88^
and A. P. Andrew, Ph.D. '99.


The annual dinner of the Washington
Harvard Club was held on the evening
of Feb. 9. The following are o£Bcers for
the current year: George N. Henning,
'94, pres.; Samuel E. Winslow, '85,
Daniel W. Shea, '86, Walter R. Tucker-
man, 'OS, Story B. Ladd, '73, vioe-presi-
denU; John W. Davidge, '02, sec.;
I^dcering Dodge, '79, treas.


On Jan. 6, a preliminary meeting of
Harvard men in Youngstown was held
for the purpose of forming a Harvard
Qub. Richard Jones, Jr., '90, was chair-

man, and Henry Butkr, '97, secretary.
A ccmmiittee consisting of J. W. Ford,
A.M. '11, H. A. Butler, '97, and G. E.
Dudley, '99, was i^ppcMnted to draft a


S* Tlie peiBoiud news is compiled from in-
formation furnished by tlie CIsm Secietariee,
and by the Seeretariea of Harvard Clubs and
Associations, and from other reliable sources.
The value of this department might be greatly
enhanced if Harvard men eve i y w h e a e would
contribute to it. Responsibility for errors
should rest 'with the Editor.

Si* It becomes more and more difficult to
assign recent Harvard men to their proper
ClasB, since many who call themsdves class-
mates take their degrees in different years. It
sometimes happens, therefore, that, in the
news furnished by the Secretaries, the Class
rating of the Quinquennial Catalogue is not
strictly followed.

Si* Much additional personal news will be
found in the reports of the Harvard Clubs, in
the Corporation and Overseen* Reooids, and
in the University Notes.

James Lloyd Wellingtoii died at bis
home in Swansea on Feb. 11, 1916.
He was born in Templeton on Jan. 27,
1818, the son of Rev. Charles and Ann
(Smith) Wellington. His early educa-
tion was obtained at the New Salem
Academy. In College he was a mem-
ber of the Phi Beta Kappa. He grad-
uated from the Medical School in
1842, from 1840 to 1842 being assist-
ant surgeon to the Seventh Massa-
chusetts Infantry. He immediately on
graduation took up the practice of his
profession in Swansea, where he has
remained ever since, the leading citi-
zen of the town. Two sons and two
daughters survive him, and a grand-
son graduated from Harvard in 1900.
Dr. Wellington was the senior alum-
nus of both the College and the Medn
cal School. Samuel Sewall Greeley,
'44, of Chicago, now becomes the
oldest living graduate of the College;

Digitized by



News from the Clastes.


three members of the Class of 184S in
the Medical School are still living.

William Henry Davison died at
Pensacola, Fla., on Jan. SI, 1916. He
was born in Boston on Oct. 24, 1824,
the son of Andrew Cunningham and
Nancy Thomas (Iverson) Davison.
He went to Florida during the Civil
War and became a Confederate re-
serve, engaged in engineering work.
He was a civil engineer by profession
and for many years filled the position
of city engineer and county surveyor
in Pensacola. Fifty years ago he mar-
ried Mrs. Jeanie Cameron Dow. They
had no children, but during the last
years of his life Davison lived happily
with his wife's grandchildren. He was
a loyal Harvard man and was one of
the respected citizens of Florida.

Dr. David W. Cheever, acting secre-
tary of the Class, died in Boston on
Dec. 27, 1915. He took the degree of
M.D. in 1858 and was given the hon-
orary degree of LL.D. in 1894. He
was Professor of Clinical Surgery from
1875 to 1882, of Surgery from 1882 to
1893, since which time he has been
Professor Emeritus. From 1896 to
1908 he was an Overseer of Harvard
College. Dr. Cheever was eminent in
his profession, one of those who had
done most in the advancement of sur-
gical knowledge and practice in Amer-
ica. This phase of his work will be
taken up in a special article in the
next issue of the Magazine.

The death of Prof. James Clarke
White, M.D., which occurred at his
residence, 259 Marlborough St., Bos-
ton, after a disability of some months'

duration, leaves ex-President Eliot as
the last survivor of that long line of
College officers contributed by the
Class of 185S to the building up of the
University. From a class numbering
88 members, — the largest class ever
graduated at that date, — and in-
creased by the addition of two in after
years through the reinstating of mem-
bers who had failed from no fault of
their own to complete the course (the
next largest class was that of 1852, and
this graduated 87 members and added
one later). Harvard has drawn from
'53, besides a President of forty years'
standing, a Fellow, a Dean, a Libra-
rian, two Overseers, two Instructors,
three Lecturers, three Tutors, six
Assistant Professors, and four full
Professors. Of these four Dr. White
was one, and he filled the responsible
chair of Dermatology for a whole gen-
eration, pursuing all the while cognate
activities connected with such lines of
research, for years enough to bring the
total of his service to the College up to
more than forty years, during which
he never gave up an exacting, general, .
private practice. He was the specialist
in skin diseases at the Massachusetts
General Hospital, and an untiring lec-
turer and instructor in his chosen
branches. His list of professional dis-
tinctions, granted him at home and all
over Europe, fills two octavo pages in
the published record of his Class. He
was greatly instrumental in bringing
about an association of the Alumni of
our Medical School, and in advancing
the quality of the professional teaching
to be had there, and in recognizing the
obligations of the School to President
Eliot through the unique process of
conferring upon that all-accomplished
layman the degree of Medicinae DoC'
tor. Dr. White was bom at Belfast,
Me., July 7, 1833. His pioneer Ameri-

Digitized by



NewBfrom the Classes.


can ancestor waa, when an infant,
rescued from the siege of Londonderry
in 1705, and twenty years later was
brought to this country, to settle, with
his immigrant household, at London-
derry, N.H. When the young subject
of this notice reached Cambridge to
take the fall examinations in August,
1840, then a lad of 16, and an utter
stranger to the place, the people and
all their ways, he was driven out in a
chaise from West St., Boston, by his
father, at the unearthly hour of half-
past five in the morning. The exami-
nations began at six. They occupied
seven hours. His father was a busy
manufacturer who believed in the
boy's pluck, but knew that he was
poorly fitted. Belfast was no place to
fit for Harvard, but it was the best
they could do. He saw in his son a
strong leaning toward the natural
sciences and this was the basis of his
faith. He meant to back the boy up to
the limit of his means. So he left him,
picketed out alone for a year in Divin-
ity Hall, — commended him to the
good graces of the authorities, and
did not fail to make it appear that
White had behind him the sort of
father who is worth everything to a
beginner in a strange land. White
seems to have roomed alone for a
while, but the year or two following
found him in the attic of Massachu-
setts Hall, sharing a room with a chum
considerably his senior, who came out
in the end the tenth scholar and chap-
lain of his class. White did not seem
to put a high value on College rank,
but was not slow to make himself
known among votaries of natural his-
tory and science. His part on gradu-
ating was " Aristotle, the Naturalist,"
with liberty to substitute any other
preferred natural history topic. The
rooms of the Natural History Society

were on the ground floor of Ma
chusettj Hall, and from his attic room,
which was the room occupied through-
out his student days by President
Quincy, backing on the great sun-
dial which looks out toward the Uni-
tarian Church across the Square,
White made the rooms of the Society
a habitual resort for his leisure hours.
Dr. White was married in 1862 to a
niece of Dr. Ruf us Ellis, of the First
Church in Boston. She died in 1888,
leaving him with three sons. In 1013,
when sixty years out of College, Dr.
White printed in this Magatine por-
tions of a journal kept by him in great
detail throughout his undergraduate
years, and this proved most attractive
reading to contemporaries, as well as
a valuable addition to the annals of


Joseph R. Websteb, Acting Stfe.,

Benjamin Joy Jeffries died Nov. SI,
1015, in Boston, where he was born on
March 26, 1833. He was a son of Dr.
John and Ann Geyer (Amory) Jeffries.
He was descended from a long line of
Harvard graduates. His father, John
Jeffries (Har. 1815), was a prominent
physician of Boston, where he prac-
tised 57 years. His grandfather, John
(Har. 1768), was also a Boston physi-
cian, and was Surgeon-General of His
Majesty's forces in America. In 1785
he crossed the English Channel from
England to France in a balloon, the
first person to accomplish the feat.
David Jeffries, the father of the elder
John (Har. 1737), was for more than
thirty years treasurer of the town of
Boston. David's father, also named
David, graduated from Harvard Col-
lege in 1708, and was ranked first
in his Class, the College rank of the

Digitized by



N&joajrom the Classea.


students being at that time based
upon the prominence of their families.
His father, David, son of David of
Rhoad, Wiltshire, England, was the
first of the family to come to America.
Benjamin Joy Je£Fries was fitted for
College at the Boston Latin School.
At Harvard he did not strive for Col-
lege rank, but his genial nature gave
him ready entrance to the social socie-
ties. He was a member of the Hasty
Pudding Club, of the Porcellian Club,
of Psi Upsilon, of the Med. Fac., pres-
ident and treasurer of the Institute of
1770, and a prominent member of the
Polymnia, the last named a society
originated in and restricted to the
Class. The following account of Jef-
fries's life after he left College was
written by himself for the Class Re-
port of 1894: " In September of our
graduating year I decided to follow
my father's and grandfather's profes-
sion, and entered the Harvard Medi-
cal School, also joining the Tremont
Medical School, which was practically
the summer school of Harvard. I
came besides under the special tuition
of my father, with whom I lived where
I do now, 15 Chestnut Street, Boston.
In 1857 I took my medical degree and
my A.M. degree from Harvard, and
immediately became a Fellow of the
Massachusetts Medical Society. In
the winter of 1857-58 I went to
Europe to continue my medical stud-
ies at Vienna. Leaving there in the
spring of 1859, and after traveling
as in the previous summer, came to
Paris, where I studied a short time,
and then went to Edinburgh, Dublin,
and London. I returned home in the
fall of 1859, and commenced practice
with my father, following only dis-
eases of the skin and diseases of the
eye, these being what I had paid es-
pecial attention to whilst in Europe.

The social and political unrest preced-
ing the breaking out of the slavery
rebellion was no time for the advance-
ment of medical science. Prevented
from going into the field, I did, as a
member of the Corps of Cadets, the
work they were called on to do during
the war. Being elected surgeon, after
garrison duty at Fort Warren, I was
almost constantly employed as Acting
Assistant Surgeon by the National
Government, for the examination of
volunteers. At the close of the Rebel-
lion I was Post Surgeon at Fort Win-
throp, Boston Harbor, being finally
mustered out of service when the Post
was given up. I immediately resumed
my special professional work, and in
1866 was chosen Surgeon of the Mas-
sachusetts Charitable Eye and Ear
Infirmary, founded by my father in
1827, where I am still on the ophthal-
mic 8ta£F. I also had two other similar
hospital appointments, which I held
till quite recently; namely, at the
Carney Hospital and the New Eng-
land Hospital for Women and Chil-
dren. In 1871 1 gave a university
course of lectures at Cambridge, on
the anatomy and physiology of vision;
also two other popular courses under
the Boston Society of Natural History
in the * Lowell Free Courses.* For one
term I was connected as university
teacher with the Harvard Medical
School. For one year I gave courses of
lectures in my specialties at the Berk-
shire Medical College at Pittsfield,
Mass. I have served many years on
the Council of the Boston Society of
Natural History, as also my term as
Vice-President, and was on the Build-
ing Committee for their present struc-
ture. When studying in Europe, I
was greatly impressed with the almost
universal use of the more tlangerous
chloroform instead of safer ether; and

Digitized by



New$from the ClcMes.


I reaolvedp if opportunity ever offered,
to endeavor to introduce the employ-
ment of the latter. This I was enabled
to do at the meeting of the Interna-
tional Ophthalmological Congress in
London, 1872. I then read a paper on
the subject, and fully illustrated it by
the exhibition of ether in the London
hospitals, especially in ophthalmic
surgery. From that time ether vertui
chloroform has fought its way as the
survival of the fittest, and hence fa-
talities have greatly diminished. The
study of the chromatic sense, apart
from the sense of form, had always
interested me; and as soon as Profes-
sor Holmgren, of Upsala, published in
1876 his method of detecting defects
of this sense, I followed up the investi-
gation of color-blindness, and showed
the very practical bearing of the sub-
ject, incorporating my results in a
book which has become the manual
for examiners, and adopted by the
government. By lectures, papers, and
addresses I aroused public interest in
the subject, and disseminated a knowl-
edge of the dangers associated with
the defect. By this means I succeeded
in putting and keeping a law of con-
trol on the statute books of Massa-
chusetts in reference to the railroads.
The forms and methods of opposition
which I had to contend with are but
little known, and, if told, would be
hardly credited. My work has, how-
ever, already induced action in other
States of the Union. My endeavors at
Washington for an international com-
mission in recognition of the dangers,
and the establishment of laws of con-
trol, caused action to be taken by our
government in the navy, army, and
merchant marine, and the incorpora-
tion of recommendations for protec-
tion, in the International Maritime
Congress at Washington in 1889. Like

other investigators, I also soon found
and recognised the lack of education
of the normal color-sense, even in our
industrial communities, and set to
work to introduce proper primary in-
struction by means of an amplification
of Professor Hugo Magnus's Color
Chart, now adopted by the Boston
Public Schools. Some hoars every day
for many years have been aUAen from
a busy professional life to carry on and
help others carry on these most prac-
tical reforms pro bono pMieo. Jan. 4,
1872,' I married Marian, the elder
daughter of Charles Franklin and
Mary Harriot Shimmin. To us were
born, Charles Shimmin and Marian.
My wife died Nov. 12, 1888. My son
takes this year his preliminary exam-
ination at Harvard, to there represent
the sixth generation of his family.*'
The son, Charles, died of typhoid
fever in his Freshman year in College.
The daughter, Marian, recently mar-
ried to Dr. James Howard Means, '07,
has continued to live with her father
since the death of Mrs. Jeffries in
1888, and " has taken the most de-
voted care of him in his declining
years." Jeffries held the post of oph-
thalmic surgeon to the Massachusetts
Charitable Eye and Ear Infirmary tiU
1902, giving to the Infirmary 36 years
of " devoted service." He continued
private practice until three or four
years ago. '* He was a member of
many local, national, and interna-
tional ophthalmological societies and
congresses, and of other medical and
scientific societies." His published
books and scientific papers number
more than thirty. '* He was much
interested in local colonial history, in
which his ancestry for several genera-
tions had played a conspicuous part."
He was a member of the Thursday
Evening and Somerset Clubs. He was

Digitized by



Nmosfrom the Cltuuet.


▼ery fond of the ocean and yachting,
and spent many summers at Swamp-
Bcott and on the shores of Hingham
Harbor, and latterly, at Marblehead.
" He was greatly endeared to many of
the surviving members of the medical
profession and to his classmates, now
reduced to five in number." Since
Coolidge's death in 1907 Jeffries has
been Class Secretary. In the words of
the late Dr. James Clarke White,
whose tribute to his friend Jeffries was
his last contribution to the BoHon
Medical and Surgical Journal, from
which the above quotations have been
taken, Jeffries was " an honorable,
genial man." — Eugene UeweUyn
White, son of James and Lydia L.
White, was born at Belfast, Maine,
Jan. 81, 1883. After graduation he
studied law for some time in the office
of Clifford and Adams, Portland, Me.
He was in Iowa for a time, and then he
went to California. In 1869-71 he was
employed in the U.S. Revenue De-
partment at San Francisco. Later,
** his home was in San Rafael many
years, where he vas connected with a
water company. After his wife died, he
went to Port Orford (Curry County),
Oregon, to be with a brother, and he
died there on Jan. 29, 1914. He had
no children." He was a cousin of
the late James Clarke White, of the
Class of 1858. — Joseph Alexander
Holmes, son of Alexander and Elixa
A. Holmes, was bom at Kingston,
June 20, 1882, and died there July 20,
1918. He was fitted for College at a
school in Kingston and by a private
tutor at Cambridge. After graduating
he entered the Harvard Law School,
and received the degree of LL.B. in
1886. He was for a time in the law
office of C. W. Loring in Boston, and
was admitted to the Suffolk Bar in
November, 1887, but he never prac-

tised. In 1858 he entered the office in
Boston of the Fall River and Old Col-
ony Railroad Company, of which his
father was president. '* After some
years he retired from business, and

Online LibraryWilliam Richards Castle William Roscoe ThayerThe Harvard graduates' magazine → online text (page 72 of 103)