William Richards Castle William Roscoe Thayer.

The Harvard graduates' magazine online

. (page 74 of 103)
Online LibraryWilliam Richards Castle William Roscoe ThayerThe Harvard graduates' magazine → online text (page 74 of 103)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

During the last years of his life he
resumed his residence in New Bedford.
He was the New England agent of the
Baldwin Locomotive Works and of the
SUndard Steel Works of Philadelphia,
and was also a deputy collector of
intemal revenue. On July 8, 1876, he
married Sarah Rodman Rotch, who,
with three sons, all Harvard gradu-
ates, survives him. Swift died in New
Bedford on Dec. 10, 1915. —Horace
Greeley McGrew died in Berkeley,
Cal., on Dec. 8, 1915, after an ill-
ness of about a year. He was bom in
Washington Township, Ind., April 20,
1851. After graduation he taught in
the public schools of Indiana, and at
Buchtel College, Akron, O., and from
1878-80, attended the Harvard Di-

Digitized by



News from ike Classes.


vinity School. For five years he was
Grand Lecturer of the Grand Lodge of
Masons of Massachusetts, and for five
years Boston agent of the University
Publishing Co., of New York. He
took the degree of A.M. at the Univer-
sity of California in 1900, and from
that time was, for twelve years, li-
brarian and instructor in the Pacific
Unitarian School for the Ministry. To
the time of his death he was Secretary
of the Scottish Rites Body of Free
Masons in Oakland, Cal. On June 25,
1874, he married La Delia Chapman,
who, with a son and two daughters,
survives him. He was the father of the
Class Baby, who, in turn, was the
father of the Class Baby of 1897.


JiTDcn W. A. Rbed, 8ee,^


J. W. Fewkes, in January, 1916,

discovered in Mesa Verde National

Park, New Mexico, the most striking

prehistoric mound ruin yet unearthed

in America, which has been named the

"Sun Temple."

J. P. Ttlbb, Sec.,
78 Tremont &t.. Boston.
Frank H. Taylor, who has spent
some years in London as general man-
ager and a director of Linotype &
Machinery, Ltd., has Returned to this
country and is now president of the
S. S. White Dental Mfg. Co., PhUa-
delphia. His New York address is 44
E. 8«d St. — Harry Canaday Carney
was born in Cincinnati, O., Feb. 12,
1857, and died in Great Falls, Mont.,
Dec. 12, 1915. He was the third of
five sons of Thomas and Rebecca Ann
(Canaday) Carney, and at the time of
his birth his father was a merchant in
Cincinnati. In 1860 the family moved

to Leavenworth, Kan., where his
father conducted a wholesale grocery
business and became Governor of
Kansas 1868-64, Mayor of Leaven-
worth 1865-66, and was always a
prominent figure in the affairs of the
State. Both of our classmate's grand-
fathers fought in the Revolution. In
his earlier years he was taught by his
mother and after that attended a priv-
ate school and the public schools of
Leavenworth, from which he gradu-
ated in 1873 — as he says in his Class
Life — " the leader of a class of two."
Immediately after graduating at the
Leavenworth High School he began
preparing himself for College and,
studying alone, without an instructor,
he entered College with us in 1873 at
the age of 16. His eldest brother, E.
L. Carney, was in the Class of 1875,
and during our Freshman and Sopho-
more years the brothers roomed to-
gether in 42 Weld. In his Junior year
he roomed alone for some months, but
the HoUis fire having turned Strobel
out into the cold, Carney took him in
for the rest of the year. He was sus-
pended for two months in the begin-
ning of the Senior year for absences
from prayers and recitations and
remained away until January. He
roomed for two months with E. L.
Morse, in College House, and then
moved to 54 Weld. He was a member
of the Signet. After graduating he was
in business for a time and then studied
law. Subsequently he entered the
Government employ and taught
school in 1878 in the Officers' School
at Fort Leavenworth. He was for four
months in Colorado as topographer
for a survey corps for the D. & R. G.
R.R. He then entered the Golden
State School of Mines, where he
taught mathematics and practised
chemistry and assaying. For some

Digitized by

Google —


Newt from th* ClattM.


yean he was engaged in mining and iti
kindred branches and assayed for sev-
eral smelters in Montana. In 1899-
1901 he was manager of a mining oom«
pany in Idaho. In the summer of 1901
he was connected for four months with
the Trinity Mining Co. of California.
He made a trip to the Hawaiian Is-
lands in 1890 and two trips to Tahiti
in 1894 and 1890. In 190« he went to
Great Falls as chemist to the Boston
and Montana Smelter and was for six
years chief chemist of that institution
and for a time was engaged in special
chemical investigation. In August,
1914, he resigned his position at the
smelter and since that time has been
out of health and unable to continue
any active employment. His body
was cremated at Riverside Cemetery
at Great Falls and the ashes were
placed in the family lot at Mt. Muncie
in Leavenworth, Kan. He was un-
married. — Anselm Helm Jayne was
born near Jackson, Miss., Sept. 18,
1850, and died in Houston, Tex., Aug.
80, 1915. On his father's side he was
of French descent, the name having
been formerly De Jeanne, and the
name of the family can be traced, it is
said, as far back as the Crusaders.
Jayne's paternal ancestors crossed to
England with William the Conqueror.
His father was William McAfee Jayne,
and he was a planter and afterwards a
school teacher near Jackson. He was
a slaveholder and an officer in the
Confederate army. Jayne's paternal
grandfather went to Mississippi in
pioneer days from Long Island, N.Y.
Jayne's mother was Julia Kennon
Jayne and was descended from the
Lewises and Kennons of Virginia.
There is still standing in Petersburg,
Va., a house which was formerly the
home of Sir Richard Kennon in the
17th century. Our classmate was edu-

cated in the schools of Brandon, Miss.,
which were well known for their thor-
oughness, and, at the age of 15, he
went to the University of Mississippi
for two years. He then won in compe-
titive examination the choice of the
West Point and Annapolis cadetships
and chose the latter. In about six
months, however, he oonduded to
enter Harvard College and entered
with us in 1873. After graduation, he
taught for two years in the High
School at Columbus, O., and subse-
quently spent a year at Jackson, Miss.,
as principal in College Green Public
School. From 1880 to 1888 he was
tutor in the University of Mississippi
High School at Oxford; from 1888 to
1883, he had a private school at Jack-
son, and from 1883 to 1884, he was
Professor of Mathematics in the State
Agricultural and Mechanical High
School at Oxford. In 1885 he was
teaching at Stoneville, Miss. Fh>m
1880 to 1898 he practised law at Jack-
son, Miss., and then removed to
Houston, Tex., where he was practis-
ing law up to the time of his death. In
1894 he formed a law partnership with
Hon. Robert Lowry, who was Gover-
nor of Mississippi from 1888 to 1890.
He was known by his associates as
probably the best informed man on
the law of real estate in Mississippi.
He was married, Feb. 3, 1894, to Bin.
Evelyn Summen Turner, bom Evelyn
Summen, of Raymond, Miss., who,
with a daughter, Margaret Evelyn,
bom July 83, 1895, survives him. He
is said to have shown in all his practice
evidences of unusual intellect and a
wonderful capacity for work. He was
unswerving in all matters of principle
and steadfast in action. He had been
ailing for many months and his friends
had pleaded with him to cease work-
ing and give himself proper care and

Digitized by



Nevotfrom the CloBtea.


treatment^ but up to within a few daya
of his death he had declined. The day
before his death hia friends prevailed
upon him to go to a local sanitarium,
but it proved to be too late. The re-
mains were taken to his old home in
Brandon, Miss., where the funeral
took place at the Methodist Church.


HsNBT Whxblbb, See.,

511 Sears BIdg., Boston.

Frederic de Billier has been trans-
ferred from Rome to the American
Legation at Lima, Peru. — Edmund
Crawford Spinney, who was connected
with the Class for a part of the Senior
year, died in Chicago Dec. SO, 1915,
after a brief illness. He was bom at
Wilmot, Nova Scotia, March 27, 1845,
and graduated at Acadia University.
He had been pastor of the First Bap-
tist Church in Burlington, la., and
president of the Burlington College.
He was also at one time secretary and
manager of the Home Savings & Trust
Co. of Dea Moines. He afterwards
moved to Chicago, where for some
time he was president of the Bankers'
Union and the Union Life Ins. Co.,
and a director in the Hebrew School.
He was superintendent of the Sunday
School of the First Baptist Church of
Chicago for four years, and was deeply
interested in the Raymond Mission
maintained by that church in the
stock yards district, where he took
charge of the Sunday evening services
and contributed largely and genera
ously to its support. He had received
the degree of D.D. from the Central
University of Iowa. A busy man, he
yet found time to| do some literary
work. In 1872 he married Josephine
S. Chase at Charlestown, who, with
two daughters, survives him.

Rsv. Edwabd Halk, See.,
5 Circuit Road, Chestnut Hill.
G. D. Ayers was appointed last fall
one of the commissioners from Idaho
to the Conference of Commissioners
on Uniform State Laws. — E. C. Fel-
ton has succeeded F. J. Swayze as
chairman of the committee of the
Overseers to visit the department of
Political Economy. A number of the
Class have joined recently in contribut-
ing $175 to renew the working collec-
tion of books on Economics which the
Class has maintained for the Depart-
ment for more than twenty-five years.

— Woodward Hudson was appointed
Jan. 1 vice-president and general
counsel of the Boston & Maine R.R.
At the same time he resigned as coun-
sel for the Boston & Albany R.R.,
New York Central R.R. lessee. His
Boston address is now 19 North Sta-
tion. — Mahlon Hutchinson is presi-
dent of the Mortgage and Securities
Co., Equitable Building, Baltimore,
Md. — F. W. Taussig read a paper on
the '* Maintenance of Fixed Retail
Prices " at the December meeting of
the American Economic Association.

— B. Rand lectured at the Harvard
Club of Boston Nov. 8 on " England
in War-Time." — F. J. Swayse has
been elected president of the Alumni
Association for the year 1915-16. - *
Frands Coflhi Martin died at his home
in Roxbury, Dec. 8, 1915, after a
long illness borne with quiet courage
and great patience. He was bom at
Roxbury, in the house in which he
died, March 22, 1858, the son of
Henry Austin and Frances Coffin
(Crosby) Martin. His father, a gradu-
ate of the Harvard Medical School in
1845, was well known as the surgeon
who first introduced animal vaccine
into this country for vaccination.

Digitized by



News from the ClasBes.


Martin prepared for college at the
Box bury Latin School, and was ad-
mitted in July, 1875. After his gradu-
ation he studied for three years at the
Harvard Medical School, and then
spent a year in New York at the
New York Polyclinic and in hos-
pitals and dispensary work, receiv-
ing the degree of M.D. from Har-
vard in 1883. In the fall of 1888
he began practice in Roxbury as a
physician and surgeon. His special-
ty, however, was the production of
pure animal vaccine virus for general
vaccination, and for a long time he
supplied the United States Govern-
ment besides many of the largest cities
and the medical profession generally.*
Directly descended through his moth-
er from Josiah Crosby, who com-
manded a company of Reed's Regi-
ment at Bunker Hill, and through his
father from James Agnew, who com-
manded the British Grenadiers at
Boston, his interest in Colonial and
Revolutionary history was keen, and
he was an active member of a number
of historical associations as well as of
various medical societies. He was for
many years secretary of the Order of
Cincinnati and had been president of
the N.H. Society of the Order. He
was married at Gilmanton, N.H., Jan.
25, 1893, to Harriet Bell Cogswell,
daughter of James W. Cogswell. She
survives him, with a son and a

• 1880.
John Woodbukt, Sec.,
14 Beacon St., Booton.
C. G. Washburn has given $50,000
to the Worcester Polytechnic Insti-
tute. This gift assures the continu-
ance for ^ve years after 1917 of an
annual contribution from the State of
$50,000, which was conditioned on the

Institute raising $350,000 by private
subscriptions before' that date.


Rxv. John W. Sutbb, Sec^
Hotel Puritan, Boston.
The Class held its usual midwinter
dinner at the Harvard Club, Friday,
Feb. 11. The date was selected as one
which ought to make it possible for
men at a distance to come to the din-
ner, being not only the end of the
week, but the eve of a holiday. The
Class's 35th anniversary will come
next June, and preliminary announce-
ment has been sent to the Class in
regard to the proposed celebration.

H. W. Cunningham, Sec.,
80 State St., Boston.
The two regular social gatherings of
the Class, the dinner at the Harvard
Club in New York in Dec. and the the Harvard Club in Boston,
Jan. 29, were well attended and enjoy-
able. — Baird is again a U.S. Referee
in Bankruptcy for Brown County,
Ohio. — Bancroft has retired from his
position as chemist at the Arnold
Print Works at North Adams and is
living in Newton in winter and at his
seaside farm at Georgetown, Me., in
summer. — Cabot, who is president of
the Aero Club of New England, is tak-
ing a keen interest in aviation as ap-
plied to preparedness. — Fuller is now
connected with the Publie Ledger in
Philadelphia. — Hubbard is again
passing the winter in New York and
working hard in modeling and sculp-
ture. — Kent's son-in-law, Umberto
Olivieri, is a captain in the Italian
army and is fighting in the Trentino.
— Oxnard is interested in the large
sugar refinery that is being established
at Savannah, Ga. — Rushmore has

Digitized by



News from the Claises.


removed from Ware to Berkeley, Cal.,
where he has real estate interests, and
expects to make his permanent home.
— Luce is now living in Waltham. —
The Class has lost two of its tem-
porary members. Hulburd Dnnlevy
died at his home in Chicago Jan. 5,
1916. He was with our Class for
the Freshman year only, but later
returned to Cambridge and became
a regular member of the Class of
1884. An account of his life is given
in the '84 notes. — Edward Freeman
Welles was killed by armed rob-
bers, Aug. 18, 1915, on a train just
south of Vera Crus, in Mexico. He
was bom April 11, 1860, in Marietta,
O., where his father was a prosperous
merchant, and he fitted for College at
Phillips Exeter Academy, but re-
turned home and entered Marietta
College, where he graduated with
honors in 1881. He then came to Har-
vard and passed the Senior year with
our Class. He was for several years in
business with his father in Ohio, but in
1888, because of poor health, removed
to Denver, Col., and became inter-
ested in mining. About twenty years
ago he began working producing mines
in the States of San Luis Potosi and
Guanajuato, Mexico, and was inter-
ested in the erection of a smelter, and
since then has spent most of his time
in Mexico and was apparently suc-
cessful in his undertakings. A few
years ago he became interested, in
addition, in sugar plantations in the
southern part of the country, and it
was while on his way thither from
Vera Crus, with money for the pay-
roll, that he was murdered and his
body never recovered. He was twice
married, first, at Chillicothe, O., Jan.
4, 1887, to Hattie A. Woodrow, a first
cousin of Woodrow Wilson, and, sec-
ond, to Maria T. De MiUer at Mexico

City, Dec. 8, 1913. He had a daughter
and a son by his first wife and a
daughter by his second.

Fbedbbick Nichols, See»,
2 Joy St., Boston.
Forty-two men assembled at our
Class Lunch on Jan. 8. H. M. Lloyd
came on to call attention to the fact
that we had an engagement to dine
with the New York brethren at their
Harvard Club, on Feb. 12, and this
reminder was enthusiastically re-
ceived. A. W. Pollard had much of
interest to tell regarding his recent
travels in Japan, and particularly his
visit to Kikkawa. Horace Binney
spoke of his enjoyment in these reun-
ions, having been absent for so many
years, and suggested that they be held
oftener during the winter. It was
voted to send a wedding gift to C. M.
Belshaw, not only as a token of friend-
ly remembrance, but also as a slight
mark of appreciation for his constant
and generous hospitality to Class-
mates and Harvard men generally, on
their visits to the Pacific Coast. Cod-
man, S. Coolidge, Dorr, and other
songsters, prolonged the pleasure of
the afternoon until a late hour. — J.
R. Coolidge was one of four members
appointed by the Governor, to repre-
sent Massachusetts at the Congress of
the National Security League, at
Washington, D.C., Jan. 20-24. — C.
P. Curtis has been elected President of
the Peter Bent Brigham Hospital, of
Boston. — Joseph Lee*s recent book is
the subject of a two-page review in the
Survey for Nov. 13, in the course of
which occurs the following: " The
book which Joseph Lee has given us is
a book on the making of a life, though
he calls it * Play in Education.' A
book — strong, deep, rich in human*

Digitized by



NewMfrom the CloMes.


experience* with a Tein of humor run-
ning through it, readable — a book
you cannot read without thinking,
which can be placed in the hands of
those who are willing to think on fun-
damental questions. Those who have
a different philosophy of life, can here
pause and face again the eternal ques-
tion as to what is true and what makes
for progress." — Chokichi Kikkawa
died at Tokyo, Japan, on Dec. 81.
The son of Tsunemasa and Nomura
Kikkawa, he was bom at Iwakuni,
Japan, Dec. 84, 1860, and was one of
the first Japanese to receive a higher
education in America. Coming to this
country in 1875, he entered the Rice
Grammar School in Boston, by the
permission of the Mayor, and later
became a student at the Chauncy Hall
School, where he graduated in the
Class with John Chandler. A. G.
Weeks and W. C. Winslow. While at
Harvard he was a member of the Ever-
ett Athenieum and Secretary of the
Signet, and his bright, interesting per-
sonality and courteous manners made
him a general favorite. He graduated
No. 47 in the Class, ranking among
those to whom Dissertations were
assigned, and received Honorable
Mention in English Composition.
After leaving College he spent a year
in study at Heidelberg and in Euro-
pean travel, and then entered the
Japanese Foreign Office. In 1887 he
was appointed Second Secretary of
Legation at Berlin, which post he held
in 1888-89, meanwhile traveling ex-
tensively in Europe. In 1892 he was
elected to the Upper House of the Jap-
anese Parliament, as Baron Kikkawa,
and had since been employed in State
affairs, especially in encouraging and
developing education, and in promot-
ing the silk industry. At the time of
his death he was a Councilor of the

Peers* Bureau in the Imperial House-
hold Department, a member of the
Asiatic Society, the Association Con-
cordia, the Sericultural Association,
and President of the Harvard Club of
Tokyo. Writing for our last Class
Report he said: *' I have tried to make
social, economic and educational im-
provements in my native town, to
which I am deeply attached. With
this end in view, I have assisted in
building up schools, opening the
means of communication, planting
trees and running a small factory."
In the winter of 1906-07 he came to
America to make an especial study of
our schools, particularly the manual
and technical ones, and was warmly
welcomed by his classmates in Boston
and New York. At a pleasant dinner
given to him by the Boston men, the
other guests were Pres. Eliot and the
late Curtis Guild, '81, an old Chauncy
HaU school-fellow. Kikkawa had
always cherished a warm affection for
his College Class, and had kept up
through the years a constant corre-
spondence with his old intimates of
'83. He was married, April 81, 189S,
to Kato Suga, daughter of Viscount
Kato Yasuaki, who, with eight chil-
dren, survives him.


T. K. CuiooNB, 8ee^

70 State St., Bostoo.

The winter address of W. C. Sturgis

is 155 Beacon St., Boston. He has

resigned his position as Dean of the

Colorado School of Forestry in order

to devote himself more exclusively to

the interests of St. Stephen's School

for Boys in Colorado Springs. — The

address of Rev. S. S. White is Tsu-

yama, Japan. He has translated, with

his assistant, C. Iwaki, into Japanese,

with the title Kenrirno- Kenkyu, Pro-

Digitized by



Newafrom the Clauea.


legomena to SyMiematie Theology; A
Study of Auihoriiy, by Prof. £. O.
Davies, of the Theological College at
Bala. — The address of Outram
Bangs, associate member, is Museum
of Comparative Zoidogy, Cambridge.

— A third volume of Symphonies and
Their Meaning, Modern Symphonies,
by P. H. Goepp, has been published
by J. B. Lippincott Co., Philadelphia.

— W. H. Billiard was elected presi-
dent of the Harvard Club of Western
Pennsylvania at the annual meeting
held in October, 1915. — H. Billings
has transferred his office from Phila-
delphia to No. 8158 Woolworth Build-
ing, New York City. — John Ulric
Nef died in Carmel, Cal., Aug. 14,
1915, as the result of acute dilation of
the heart. He was the son of Johann
Ulrich and Anna Katharina (Mock)
Nef. He was born in Herisau, Swit-
zerland, on June 14, 1808. He pre-
pared for College at Duane S. Everson
School in New York. After graduat-
ing from College, as the holder of the
John Thornton Kirkland Traveling
Fellowship, he took up research work
in chemistry in the laboratory of
Prof, von Baeyer in Munich. He
returned to America in 1887 and
became Professor of Chemistry at
Purdue University, where he accom-
plished notable work. From 1889 to
1898 he did research work in organic
chemistry at Clark University, Wor-
cester. In 1898 he went to the Univer-
sity of Chicago, where he remained
until the time of his death. Nef *s work
was widely known in Europe as well as
in this country. He has published the
results of his research work in the
American Chemical Journal and in
other journals. He was a member of
the National Academy of Sciences, the
American Academy of Arts and Sci-
ences, and the Royal Society of

Science, Upsala, Sweden. An interest-
ing sketch of Nef s life and of his work
by Julius Stieglitz, Professor and
Chairman of the Department of
Chemistry in the University of Chi-
cago, was published in the University
Record, Oct., 1915. Nef was married
in Rochester, N.Y., May 17, 1898, to
Louise Bates, daughter of Orville and
Mary (Garlinghouse) Comstock of
Rochester. His wife died in Chicago
March 80, 1909. He is survived by an
only son, John Ulric, Jr., born July 13,
1899. — Hulbnrd Dnnlevy died in
Chicago Jan. 5, 1916. He was bom in
Lebanon, O., June 88, 1801, the son of
John Craig and Sarah Jane (Hulburd)
Dunlevy. He prepared for College at
Adams Academy, Quincy, under Dr.
W. R. Dimmock. He entered College
with the Class of 1888, but owing to
absence abroad and illness, he lost
two years and took his degree with the
Class of 1884. After graduating, he
read law in the office of Hon. R. T.
Lincoln in Chicago. He was admitted
to the Illinois Bar Mar. 80, 1885. In
January, 1886, he. and Russell Whit-
man, '88, went into partnership in the
practice of law. The partnership was
dissolved in the following year, and
he continued in practice alone for
several years. In 1889 he became in-
terested in real-estate transaction^
and in 1896 retired from active busi-
ness, having purchased a farm at
Spring Lake, Mich. For the last
twenty years he conducted his farm in
the summer, living in the winter some-
times in Chicago and sometimes in
Muskegon, Grand Rapids, and Grand
Haven, Mich. During that period
also he was often called in consultation
as to legal matters by clients in Michi-
gan. He was married Sept. 9, 1890, to
May Nadine, daughter of Rev. Dr.
George C. Lorimer. She and his three

Digitized by



News from the Clctsses,


children, Lorimer Hulburd, Sarah
Jane, and Edith Nadine, survive

Online LibraryWilliam Richards Castle William Roscoe ThayerThe Harvard graduates' magazine → online text (page 74 of 103)