Copyright
William Richards Castle William Roscoe Thayer.

The Harvard graduates' magazine online

. (page 95 of 103)
Online LibraryWilliam Richards Castle William Roscoe ThayerThe Harvard graduates' magazine → online text (page 95 of 103)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


to New York, having become on that
date treasurer of the Renfrew Mfg. Co.,
and treasurer of the American Zylonite
Co. He remained in New York three
years when he resigned those two offices
and removed to Boston. He was elected
treasurer of the Franklin Co. of Lewis-
ton, Me., and treasurer of the Lincoln
Mills, and for the last years of his life
was connected with corporations form-
ing part of the business interests of Lew-
iston, being during that period president
and treasurer of the Knitted Fabrics
Co., treasurer of the Franklin Co., treas-
urer of the Union Water Power Co. He
was a director of all of said companies
and treasurer of the Lewiston Bleachery
and Dye Works and of the Continental
Mills, all of these corporations having
business offices in Boston. In 1871 he
was married to Elso E. Carpenter, of
Milford. Two children were bom to
them, a daughter, Elisabeth Moriarty,
in 1877, and a son, Edward Leander,
in 1882. For the kst years of his life he
was a resident of Brookline, and died at
his home in that town March 20, 1916.

1860.

T. P. Beal» Sse.,
2d Nat. Bank, Boston.
Walter Cook died in New York on
March 25, 1916. He was an architect
of distinction, honored for his work
and for his personality by his fellow
architects and friends. A friend writes
of him: " His willing service to the
public in all matters, national and
civic, bearing relation to art, cannot
be forgotten; especially the service
rendered to his own city in connection
with the formulation of the law con-



stituting the Art Commission of the
city, with his activity as a member of
that Commission, and as the profes-
sional adviser of the Board of Esti-
mate and Apportionment and of the
existing Court House Board."

1870.

T. B. TicKNOB, See^
3 Raoaom Road, Newton Centre.
Theophiliu PanonSy son of Thomas
and Martha (Watson) Parsons, was
bom in Brookline, July 1, 1840, and
died suddenly Jan. 4, 1916. He was
the great-grandson of Chief Justice
Theophilus Parsons of the Massachu-
setts Supreme Court, for whom he was
named. He was prepared for College
at the Brookline High School. After
graduation, in October, 1870, he en-
tered the Lyman Mills, Holyoke, to
study the manufacture of cotton cloth*
and on Oct. 9, 1873, was appointed
superintendent; passed the eiummer
of 1873 in Europe; Jan. 1, 1880, was
appointed agent of the Pocasset Manu-
facturing Company, Fall River; Sept.
1, 1880, appointed agent of the Ly-
man Mills; Oct. 1, 1884, appointed
treasurer of the same mills. He led a
very active and influential business
life as is evidenced by the many impor-
tant offices held by him. He was vice-
president and director of the Union
Bank, Boston, director of the Boston
Manufacturers Mutual Insurance
Company, trustee of the Sailors Snug
Harbor, Boston, president of the
Arkwright Club, trustee of the Massa-
chusetts Humane Society, president of
the Dwight Manufacturing Company,
director of the American Mutual Lia-
bility Insurance Company, president
and trustee of the Amoskeag Manu-
facturing Company, trustee of the
Church Home for Orphan and Desti-
tute Children, director and member of



Digitized by



Google



1916.]



News from the Classes.



697



the finance committee of the Massa-
chusetts Hospital Life Insurance
Company, director of the New Eng-
land Trust Company, trustee of the
Provident Institution for Savings,
Boston, warden and vestryman of St.
Paul's Church, Brookline, and warden
and vestryman of St. Philip's Church,
Mattapoisett; he was also a member
of the following clubs: Somerset, of
Boston, Myopia, Eastern Yacht, Uni-
versity of New York, and the New
York Yacht. He was married in
1894, to Mary Mason Oliver; Mrs.
Parsons died in 1895; he had one
daughter, Susan Lawrence Parsons.

1872.

A. L. Lincoln, See,,
126 SUte St., Boston.
The Class will dine at the Union Chib
June 21, the evening before Commence-
ment, and on Commencement day will
meet as usual at Thayer 3.

1878.

Abthttr L. Ware, See^
FnnTfiinghsm CeDtre.
C. E. Kelley has resigned his office
as Principal of the Milton, N.H., High
School and has accepted a position
in the Astronomical Department at
Harvard. — E. C. Ingalls has retired
from the ministry and is living in
Cambridge. — Congratulations are
due W. B. H. Dowse, who observed
his fifteenth birthday on Feb. 29. —
Edward Penniman Bliss died at Lex-
ington, March 22, 1916. He was the
son of Henry P. and Delia M. (War-
ren) Bliss, and was born in Cambridge
Dec. 4, 1850. After graduation he
went into business in Boston, at the
same time studying for an A.M. de-
gree in Early English, which he took
in 1874. He was active in the town
affairs of Lexington, where he served



as Selectman, Chairman of the School
Committee, and Overseer of the Poor.
In recent years he traveled widely in
Europe. He had no children, but his
wife survives him.

1874.

C. S. Penballow, See,,
803 Sean BMc, Boeton.
The firm of Halsted & Hodges has
been changed to A. G. Hodges & Co.,
consisting of A. G. Hodges, '74, and R.
W. Locke, '93. — Dr. Wm. C. Mason
has resigned as president of the Har-
vard Club of Bangor, Me. He was
elected president on the formation of
the Club, March 21, 1891, and re-
elected each successive year. His res-
ignation took place March 21, 1916,
— just 25 years later. — George Ash-
btimer, a temporary member, died
March 1, in London, Eng. He was
with the Class only a part of Fresh-
man year, leaving College to take a
position in Calcutta. The climate
there did not agree with him: and he
located in England where he con-
tinued to reside up to the time of his
death.

1875.

JuDQB W. A. Reed, See.,
Brockton.
Prof. Gorham Baker has resigned
his professorship in the Medical De-
partment of Columbia University.

1876.

E. H. Habding, See,,
6 Beacon St., Boston.
The 25th anniversary of the inaug-
uration of Pres. C. F. Thwing, of
Western Reserve University, was cele-
brated by the Alumni Association of
Adelbert College, at Cleveland, O.,
on Feb. 4. — R. H. Gardiner is
described in a recent article in the



Digitized by



Google



'698



News from the ClaMes*



[June,



New York Sunday T%me$, as "Gardi-
oer of Gardiner, wielder of the largest
religious correspondence that one man
has ever conducted in America. . . .
He is the centre of an epistolary Pente-
cost. From his home on the Kennebec,
in Maine, the messages in behalf of
the unity of all Christendom have
been going forth for more than five
years. . . . The North American Pre-
paratory Conference, meeting at Gai^
den City, L.I., a few weeks ago, adopt-
ed for the first time definite plans for
healing the rifts in Christendom. . . .
The meeting at Garden City included
fifteen denominations, and was the
outcome of the action of the General
Convention of the Protestant Episco-
pal Church, in 1910, which appointed
the first commission to begin the colos-
sal task of bringing together again the
widely separated flocks of Christian-
ity into one fold. . . . The secretary of
the commission then appointed was
Mr. Gardiner, and from that day until
this he has been unceasing in his la-
bors." — Oscar Roland Jackson died
at Wilmington, Del., on April 10, 1016.
He was the son of Dr. Charles Thomas
and Susan Jackson; born at Boston,
May 20, 1855; prepared for College at
the Boston Latin School. For two
years after graduation he was assist-
ant in chemistry, at Harvard. He was
then appointed to the Kirkland Fel-
lowship, and went to Europe to study.
He remained abroad until the summer
of 1881, chiefly in Munich, where he
studied under Prof. Adolph von Bayer.
On his return, he entered the employ
of the du Fonts, as chemist at the Re-
pauno Chemical Works, near Chester,
Pa. Later, he was made superinten-
dent of that plant, and afterwards was
transferred to the headquarters of the
company, in W^ilmington, where he
held an important and responsible



position. He was marriedt Oct. 9,
1883, to Katharine Ellis, who^ with
three children* survives him.

18T7.
J. F. Ttlxb, 8se^
1088 Tmnomt Bids., Boston.
A dinner for the Class was tendered by
the members of the Class resident in
New York City to their classmates, on
the evening of Feb. 24 kst. About SO
members were present and Clifford
Richardson presided. A most delightful
evening was spent and speeches were
made by Harris, Martin, Seamans, B. W.
Wells, Crosby, and others. — Byrne has
been elected a regent of the University
of the SUte of New York. — Frtnk
Brainerd was bom in Portland, Conn.,
Oct. 23, 1854, and died in the same
town, March 6, 1916. The original an-
cestor in this country of the Brainerd
family was Daniel Brainerd, who came
from England about 1649 and settled in
Haddam, Conn., in 1662. The family
resided there until 1812, when the grandr
father of our classmate, Erastus Brain-
erd, went to Portland, Conn., and se-
cured control of a brownstone quarry.
His three sons continued the business,
and in 1877 our classmate entered it,
it being then conducted under the
name of the Brainerd Quarry Co. In
1891, he became treasurer, and in 1896 all
the brownstone quarries in the vicinity
were consolidated under the name of the
Brainerd, Shaler & Hall Quany Co.
Frank became vice-president and in 1902
was chosen president, which position he
occupied at the time of his death. He
was a member of the Harvard Club of
New York, Church Club of Connecticut,
Harvard Club of Connecticut, Univer-
sity Club of Hartford and Sons of the
Revolution. He was vestryman and
treasurer of Trinity Parish, Portland,
for more than 25 years^ vice-president



Digitized by



Google



1916.]



News from the Classes.



699



of the Ist Nat Bank of Portland and
trustee of the Freestone Savings Bank
of the same place. Oct. 8, 1879, he was
married to Ida Gillum of Hartford. Mrs.
Brainerd survives him, with two sons,
George G. Brainerd, of New York, and
Frank J. Brainerd, of Portland. He was
with us for only a portion of the four
years in College, but had always re-
tained a very strong and warm interest
in the Class. He was given his A.B. in
1907.

1878.

Henbt Wbkeler, Sec.,
511 Sean Bldg.. Boston.
Dr. William H. Potter has been ap-
pointed consulting oral surgeon on
the staff of the Peter Bent Brigham
Hospital in Boston. — Frederick Lewis
Gay died at his home in Brookline, on
March 3, 1916. He was the son of Dr.
George H. Gay of the Class of 1842,
and was born in Boston Oct. 28, 1856.
He was fitted for College at the Boston
Latin School, and entered in 1874, but
left in February, 1878, without taking
a degree. He devoted some time to
the study of medicine after leaving
College, and then was engaged for a
time in business in Chicago. He gave
up active business many years ago, and
devoted himself to historical investi-
gation. Early voyages to America and
the early history of the American
colonies and the relations of the colo-
nies to Great Britain were the subjects
to which he gave special attention,
and he wrote many articles on anti-
quarian subjects for periodicals. He
received his degree of A.B. from the
University in 1903, and was made
a member of the Mass. Historical
Society in 1915. He had served as pres-
ident of the Prince Society, was reg-
istrar of the Colonial Society of Mas-
sachusetts, director of the Bunker Hill



Monument Association, a member of
the American Antiquarian Society,
the Club of Odd Volumes, the Ded-
ham, Brookline, and Marblehead His-
torical Societies, was a trustee of the
Brookline Public Library, and a mem-
ber of the Somerset, Tavern, Eastern
Yacht and other clubs. He was very
fond of yachting and spent many of
his summers in cruising on the New
England coast. He had great social
qualities and was much beloved by
his friends and classmates. At the
time of his death he was curator of
British and American Historical Tracts
in the College Library. He was mar^
ried at Boston in 1889 to Josephine
Spencer, daughter of A. W. Spencer,
who survives him.

1879.

Rev. Edwabo Hale, Sec.,
5 Circuit Road. Chestnut Hill.
The annual dinner will be at the
University Club, 270 Beacon St., Bos-
ton, Wednesday evening, June 21.
Hoi worthy 18 will be open as usual on
Commencement Day, June 22, for the
use of the Class. — W. DeW. Hyde
delivered the Lyman Beecher lectures
at the divinity school of Yale Univer-
sity this year. — F. J. Swayze has been
appointed lecturer on legal ethics in
the Harvard Law School. — Jireh
Swift is president of the Five Cents
Savings Bank of New Bedford. —
Charles Sprague Lincoln died at his
home at Stillwater, Minn., Dec. 26,
1915. He was born at Jamaica Plain,
Aug. 23, 1857, the son of Ezra and
Phebe Maria (Blake) Lincoln. He
prepared for College at the Boston
Latin School, and was admitted in
July, 1875. In the junior year he left
College and entered the Columbia Law
School. He was admitted to the New
York Bar, and for a time practised



Digitized by



Google



700



News from the Classes.



[Jone^



law in the city of New York. Later he
removed, first to WiAconsin, and then,
in 1900, to St. Paul, Minn., where he
was a valued employee of the West
Publishing Company, publishers of
law books, in their editorial depart-
ment. He had recently bought a farm
at Stillwater and was much interested
in its management. He was married
at Stillwater, Dec. 14, 1892, to Mary
S. Robertson, who survives him. —
Charles Elliott St John died at Phila-
delphia, Pa., Feb. 25, 1916. He was
bom at Prairie du Chien, Wis., Dec.
19. 1856, the son of Thomas Elliott
and Henrietta Matilda (Knox) St.
John. He prepared for College at the
Worcester High School, and was ad-
mitted in July, 1875. On account of
ill health he went to Colorado after
graduation, working for a time as a
day laborer in a sawmill near Boulder,
and later at Jamestown with pick and
shovel in a gold mine. In the fall of
1880 he entered the Harvard Divinity
School and graduated in 1883 with the
degrees of S.T.B. and A.M. After a
summer spent in missionary work at
North Woodstock, N.H., he was or-
dained and installed at Northampton,
Nov. 1, 1883, as minister of the 2d
Congregational (Unitarian) Society.
In the fall of 1891 he resigned his
Northampton ministry to be in-
stalled, Oct. 6, 1891, as minister of the
1st Unitarian Church of Pittsburgh,
Pa., which had been organized only
two years before. Here he spent
nearly ten years, increasingly success-
ful in his service to his parish and the
community, writing much for news-
papers and periodicals, and speaking
frequently at denominational confer-
ences and similar gatherings. In May,
1900, he was elected secretary of the
American Unitarian Association and
resigned his Pittsburgh ministry. He



took up the varied work of the new
position with characteristic energy and
devotion, and, in addition to his du-
ties at denominational headquarters^
preached and lectured constantly,
traveling much both in New England
and throughout the country. He had
been for some time a trustee of the
Meadville (Pa.) Theological School.
He preached the sermon before the
National Conference of Unitarian and
other Liberal Christian churches at
Saratoga, N.Y., in 1901, was a uni-
versity preacher at Cornell, and a
director of the Ministers' Institute.
In 1905 he found that the pace had
told seriously on his health, and he
spent the summer in Europe, nomi-
nally resting, but taking part in the
meetings of the International Coun-
cil of Religious Liberals at Geneva,
and visiting officially the Unitarian
churches in Hungary. Later he was
made an honorary member of the
chief consistory of these churches.
He returned to work in the fall, but
in November, 1906, again was obliged
to rest. Finally, in September, 1907,
he resigned as secretary of the Amer-
ican Unitarian Association and then
preached for a time as stated supply
at the 1st Unitarian Church of Phila-
delphia. His health improved so
much that he thought it safe to become
the settled minister of the church,
and was installed in November, 1907.
In 1910 he again went to Europe to
attend the meetings of the Interna-
tional Council of Religious Liberals,
held this time at Berlin. On the way
he preached at Liverpool, Altring-
ham, Manchester, and London, and
spoke at Amsterdam, and later, at the
celebration in Hungary of the 400th
anniversary of the birth of Francis
David, he presented the greetings of
the Unitarians of America and made



Digitized by



Google



1916.]



Nvwtfrom the Claaaea.



701



other addresses. His health contin-
ued to be uncertain, and during the
last years was evidently failing, but
his rare courage and strength of will
kept him in the harness to the last,
and he preached in his Philadelphia
church only a few days before he died.
He was married at Dover, June 26,
1888, to Martha Elizabeth Everett,
daughter of George Draper and
Martha (Plummer) Everett. She
survives him with two of their four
children, Everett, '10, and Harold, '14.
In 1915 he received the degree of D.D.
from Meadville Theological School.

1880.
John Woodbubt, See.,
14 Beacon St., Boston.
Arthur H. Lea is stated to be the
financial sponsor for the experiment
which is being tried of planting in the
Yard thirteen elm trees measuring
from 12 to 17 inches in diameter. —
William Wallace Gooch was born in
Melrose on Sept. 8, 1857, the son
of Daniel Wheelwright and Hannah
(Pope) Gooch. He prepared for Col-
lege in Melrose and at Washington,
where his father served several terms
as Representative in Congress. After
graduation he studied law for a time
at the Harvard Law School and in his
father's law office in Boston. He was
admitted to the bar in 1883 and be-
came a member of the law firm of
Gooch & Burditt and later formed a
firm with his father under the name of
D. W. & W. W. Gooch, with offices in
Boston. In 1898 he removed to New
York City and became a member of
the firm of Wellman, Gooch & Smyth,
which connection continued until his
death. He was attorney for a number
of corporations and was president of
the New York Sanitary Utilisation
Company and of the Blangas Company



of America. On the morning of Feb.
18, he had started for hb office when
he suffered a hemorrhage of the brain
and never recovered consciousness.
His widow, who was Miss Carolyn
Herrick, of Boston, and their son
Daniel Herrick Gooch, survive him.
— Dr. William Stanford Stevens died
at his home in Boston on April 29,
after several weeks' illness of a painful
heart trouble. He was t>orn in Boston
on June 13, 1859, the son of Dr. Calvin
and Sophia Tappan (Crocker) Stevens.
He prepared for College at the Boston
Latin School and after graduation en-
tered the Harvard Medical School, re-
ceiving his degree of M.D. in 1883 and
of A.M. in 1884. After 1887 he gave
up the active practice of medicine
and devoted most of his time to pub-
lic service. He was active as an officer
of the Mercantile Library Association,
Marine Biological Laboratory, and
Massachusetts Emergency and Hy-
giene Association. He was a member
of the City Council of Boston in 1888
and 1889 and was a representative in
the Massachusetts Legislature in 1891.
He was corresponding secretary of
the New England Historic Genealogi-
cal Society in 1893 and 1894. After
his marriage in 1895 he removed to
St. Albans, Vt., which he made his
home until a few years ago when he
returned to Boston permanently. In
St. Albans he was a member of the
City Government and was especially
active in reorganizing and building up
the St. Albans Hospital. He owned
a large farm near that city, on a part
of which he was engaged of late years
in carrying out a scheme of scientific
reforestation. Dr. Stevens had been an
extensive traveler and spent many of
his winters with his family in Europe
and in Egypt. He was a member of
the Union, Harvard, University, City,



Digitized by



Google ^



702



News from the Classes.



[Jane,



and Twentieth Century Cluba of
Boston and the Oakley Country Club
of Watertown. His widow, who was
Miss Emily Huntington Lewis, of St.
Albans, and two sons, Stanford Hunt-
ington, an undergraduate at Harvard,
and Philip Greeley, a student at
Groton. survive him.

1881.

Rev. J. W. SuTEB, Sac.,
Hotel Puritan, Boston.
Joseph McKean Gibbons, who died
at Boston, Feb. 17, 1916, was born at
New York Feb. 25, 1858, the son of
William Taylor and Elizabeth Shep-
ard (Gibbens) Gibbons. He entered
College in 1877 from the Boston Latin
School. In the July following his
graduation he entered the employ of
the N.E. Mut. Life Ins. Co., and con-
tinued with this company until the
time of his death. He was for a time
assistant superintendent of agencies,
in which capacity he traveled exten-
sively about the United States. In
1899 he took charge of the department
of supplies and literature. He studied
law at the Boston University Law
School for three years, being gradu-
ated in 1884, when he was admitted to
the Suffolk Bar. He became, in 1881,
the Boston representative of the Spirit
of the Times, and continued to write
for that journal for twenty years, con-
tributing also to several papers, es-
pecially to Boston Ideas, becoming in
1891 president of the Idea Press. He
was a member of the University Club
and the Press Club of Boston, and of
the Boston University Law School
Ass'n, Mercantile Library Ass'n and
the English High School Ass*n, of
which he was president at the time of
the celebration of the 75th anniver^
sary of the school. Gibbons never mai^
ried, but lived with his sister in Roz-



bury. •— Louis Bnckett Carr, who
died at Arlington Feb. 11, 1916, was
born at No. Attleboro, May 81, I860,
the son of Martin Wales and Lucy
Emily (Brackett) Carr. He entered
College in 1877 from the Somerville
High School. After graduation he
entered the New York office of M. W.
Carr & Co., manufacturers of fancy
metal work and jewelry at West
Somerville. He became a member ot
the firm in 1902, until which time he
had resided at Passaic, N.J. Shortly
afrerward he moved to Arlington, be-
coming connected with the headquar-
ters of the firm. At the time of his
death he was treasurer of the company.
He was married at Passaic, June 7,
1886, to Lizzie Kempton, daughter
of Kingsbury Smith and Barbara
Crowes (Howe) Nickerson. His wife
and one son, Wentworth Caleb, born
in 1889, survive him. In Passaic he
was a member of the Board of Ex-
aminers of Schools for four years and
of the Board of Education for nine
years, being for the last two years
of that period president of the board.
In Arlington he had been for several
years trustee of the Unitarian Church,
for three years chairman of the board.
He was a director of the Menotomy
Trust Company and the Five Cent
Savings Bank of Arlington, and of the
Somerville National Bank and Somer*>
ville Trust Company.

1882.

H. W. CuNNiNGHAif, 8ee.^
89 State St.. Boston.
Hon. Robert Luce, former lieut.-gov-
emor, has changed his residence to Wal-
tham. — Frederick Thayer Hunt died
at lus home in Weymouth, March 8,
1916, after a brief illness. Though bom
in Scituate in 1859, Weymouth had been
his home for practically all his life. He



Digitized by



Google



1916.]



Newt from the Classes.



708



fitted for College at Adams Academy in
Quincy, and after graduation in 1882
studied law in Boston and was admitted
to the Suffolk Bar, though he never
practised. Hb father, a well-known
citizen of Weymouth, was a large manu-
facturer of fireworks, and in this bust-
ness our classmate became associated
and continued to the end of his life. He
made several pleasure trips to Europe,
chiefly to En^and, to visit his brother
Aubrey, an artist living there. It was
this brother who painted the portrait of
Hunt that was reproduced in the Class
Report of 1907. Hunt was himself a
man of artistic temperament, a lover of
fine books and prints, of which he was
an excellent judge, and of which he had
gathered in his libraiy a large and ad-
mirable collection. He had a kindly dis-
position, and to those who knew him
well had a charm that endeared him as
a friend: but a certain shyness prevented
many of his classmates from knowing
him well. In 1907 he was married to
Miss Bessie Bicknell French, of Wey-
mouth, who survives him.

1883.

Fbederick Nichols, See^
2 Joy St., Boston.
Fifty-five members of the Class as-
sembled at the Harvard Club of New
York, on Feb. 12, to enjoy the " Quin-
quennial Dinner," which the friendly



Online LibraryWilliam Richards Castle William Roscoe ThayerThe Harvard graduates' magazine → online text (page 95 of 103)