Copyright
William W Davis.

History of Whiteside County, Illinois from its earliest settlement to 1908 : illustrated, with biographical sketches of some prominent citizens of the county (Volume v.1) online

. (page 60 of 72)
Online LibraryWilliam W DavisHistory of Whiteside County, Illinois from its earliest settlement to 1908 : illustrated, with biographical sketches of some prominent citizens of the county (Volume v.1) → online text (page 60 of 72)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and rented the Leander Smith place, now known a^ the Harry Smith farm,
making his home thereon for twenty-three years. As time passed he pros-
pered in his undertakings and he has made purchases of land until he is
now one of the largest landowners in Whiteside county. His home farm
comprises seven hundred and eighty acres of good land in Albany township,
three hundred and fifty acres of this being covered with timber, while the
remainder is under a high state of cultivation. He has improved the place
with good buildings and everything about the farm is kept in a good state of
repair. He is here engaged in raising the various cereals adapted to soil and
climate and each year harvests good crops as a reward for the care and labor
which he bestows upon the fields. In addition to his home property he also
owns a farm of three hundred and twenty-seven acres, situated in Newton
township, on which stands one of the finest country residences in this section
of the state. It contains eight rooms and is modern in its equipments and
appointments. Mr. Reedy also owns two tracts of land on Cedar creek, one
containing thirty-seven acres and the other twenty-five acres, this being
known as Prospect park. This has been subdivided into lots, and



522 HISTORY OF WHITESIDE COUNTY

to the fact that it borders the creek is one of the attractive building sites of
this section of the country.

Agricultural interests have not alone claimed the time and attention of
Mr. Reedy, for he is actively and financially interested in various other enter-
prises. Associated with Frank Dailey, he is conducting a canning factory,
handling mostly tomatoes. This is proving a successful venture and adds
not a little to the industrial progress of the community. He is also the
owner of a sorghum factory and a sawmill in Albany. He also has a cherry
orchard and raises other fruit, three acres being devoted to horticultural
interests. He is very methodical in the conduct of his various business inter-
ests and his sound judgment and executive ability are proving the basis of
his success.

As above stated, Mr. Reedy was married in 1870, the lady of his choice
being Miss Lena Lutz, the wedding ceremony being performed on the 28th
of May of that year. Her parents, John and Mattie (Meyers) Lutz, were
both natives of Fulton county, Pennsylvania, and settled in Whiteside
county in 1863. He was here engaged in general agricultural pursuits for
more than a quarter of a century and finally removed to Kansas, where he
spent some time and now makes his home in Baring, Missouri. Their family
numbered nine children, as follows: John, who. resides in Dallas Center,
Iowa; Lena, now Mrs. Reedy; Martin, a resident of Whiteside county;
Henry, who was married but is now deceased, his family making their home
in Canada; Mary, the wife of A. Clayton, of Amity, Pennsylvania; David,
who makes his home in Fowler, Colorado; Fannie, the wife of Samuel Camp-
bell, a resident of Kansas; and Samuel and Jacob, both residing in Missouri.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Lutz are still living and at the advanced age of eighty-
three years are hale and hearty.

The home of Mr. and Mrs. Reedy has been blessed with seven children,
as follows: Ida, the wife of George Renecker, a resident of Albany; Wil-
liam, who is engaged in farming; Minnie, the wife of Louis Slocumb, who
is engaged in farming and merchandising; Burt A., who wedded Lillie Gra-
ham, by whom he has one son, Teddy H. W., who was the first grandchild
in the Reedy family; Edward, who wedded Helen Naftzger, of Albany, by
whom he has a daughter, Fern Amelia, born in February, 1908 ; Bessie, who
is still with her parents; and George, deceased.

Mr. Reedy is now living in the village of Albany, where he has thirty-
seven acres divided into two different places. Besides his own home he has a
house with ten lots, another with two, and the third with fourteen lot-, be-
sides six lots in one place and another lot. He also owns a house and lot in
Clinton, Iowa. Politically he is a republican with independent tendencies,
voting for men and measures rather than party. Religiously he i- identified
with the German Reformed church.

Starting out in early youth in the humble capacity of a farm hand,
Mr. Reedy has, through his own industry and laudable ambition, gradually
worked his way upward until today he is justly classed among the well-to-do
and honorable citizens of Whiteside county. For more than four decades
he has been identified with the agricultural and industrial interests of the



HISTORY OF WHITESIDE COUNTY 523

county and throughout his career of continued and far-reaching usefulness
his business interests have been so managed as to win him the confidence of
the public and the prosperity which should always attend honorable effort,
for in all his relations with his fellowmen, whether of a business or social
nature, he has never lost sight of the principle of the Golden Rule.



SAMUEL E. McCUNE.

Samuel E. McCune has for thirty years resided on the farm which is now
his home and his life of intense and well directed activity has transformed
this tract of two hundred and twenty acres on section 35, Clyde township, into
a well kept and well improved place, lacking none of the accessories and conven-
iences of a model farm of the twentieth century. He was born in the state of
New York, of the marriage of Robert and Maria (Beets) McCune, both of
whom died in the east. The mother was a native of Connecticut and her
death occurred in that state. The father was a native of Scotland and be-
came the owner of quite extensive landed interests in New York, the McCune
family being established in Sullivan county, New York, at an early day. Of
a family of four children, Samuel E. McCune had a brother and two sisters:
Katura, who is residing at Rapid City, South Dakota; Rosalie, who died in
childhood; and John, who still makes his home in Sullivan county, New York.

The early education of Samuel E. McCune, begun in the public schools
of New York, was continued in Illinois. He enlisted in 1861 in the Twentieth
New York Volunteer Militia and served for three years with that command.
After that war the regiment was merged into what is known as the Eightieth
New York Volunteer Infantry. He was discharged with the rank of corporal
after having participated in many important engagements, including those
of the Army of the Potomac under Generals McClellan, Hooker, Burnside
and Grant. He was with the command of the intrepid Illinois general at the
time he was discharged. He took part in the hotly contested battle of the
Wilderness, the second battle of Bull Run, Chantilly, South Mountain, An-
tietam, Gettysburg and Frcdericksburg sanguinary conflicts in which the
shot and shell were exchanged for hours as the two contesting armies fought
for possession of the field. Mr. McCune was mustered out on the expiration of
his three years' term in September, 1864, at City Point, Virginia, and with a
most creditable military record returned to New York.

Removing westward to Illinois in 1866, Mr. McCune settled at Sycamore,
where he lived for a year and then came to Whiteside county. He returned,
however, to Sycamore, where he continued for a year or two and in 1872 again
came to Whiteside county, where he carried on general farming for three
years prior to his marriage.

That important event in his life was celebrated on the 21st of September,
1875, the lady of his choice being Miss Mary A. Reynolds, a daughter of Mr.
and Mrs, Chauncey Reynolds, of whom mention is made elsewhere in this
volume. Ten children have been born unto them. Walter, who was born



524 HISTOEY OF WHITESIDE COUNTY

September 3, 1876, and is now residing near Missouri City, Missouri, where
he follows farming, married Miss Minnie Cassens, of Whiteside county, Illi-
nois, and they have two children, Leon Chauncey and Hazel Althea. Aden
R. W., born January 24, 1879, in Clyde township, was married July 2, 1902,
to Miss Cora Thomas, of this county, and they have one child, Robert Edward.
Clyde L., born November 15. 1880, died December 15, 1881. Ada Rosalie,
born February 15, 1882, died the same year. Raymond A., born April 9,
1885, died February 11, 1896. Oliver Ivan, born April 4, 1888, Lorain Bell,
born May 12, 1893, Althea M., August 13, 1895, Minnie Mae, March 13, 1897,
and Kenneth P., January 9. 1902, are all at home.

Politically Mr. McCune has always voted the straight republican ticket
on national issues but has never been active in politics. He has, however,
filled a few minor offices and has served as school director. He belongs to the
Knights of Pythias and the Modern Woodmen camp of Morrison and he and
his are also connected with the Mystic Workers of Malvern, the Fraternal
Tribunes and the Royal Neighbors, all of Morrison. Mrs. McCune also be-
longs to the Pythian Sisters and is a member of the Evangelical church of
Malvern and the Emersonian Reading Circle, a beneficial, social and literary
club of Clyde and Mount Pleasant townships. They are people of genuine
worth, occupying an enviable position in social circles, where culture and
refinement are received as the passports into good society.



JESSE W. JOHNSON.

Jesse W. Johnson, who is acceptably filling the office of police magistrate
in Sterling, his native city, was born March 29, 1877, and is a son of C. C.
and Josephine (Worthington) Johnson, of whom further mention is made
on another page of this volume. The son was reared in Sterling and at the
usual age entered the public schools, where he passed through successive grades.
He afterward did preparatory work for college in the Pennsylvania Military
College at Chester, Pennsylvania, and then entered the United States Mili-
tary Academy at West Point, where he remained as a cadet for two years.
On the expiration of that period he matriculated in the University of Wis-
consin for a four years' course and received his degree of Bachelor of Letters
in the College of Letters and Science upon his graduation in 1901. During
his college days he became a member of the Phi Gamma Delta, a national fra-
ternity. Following his graduation he returned in the fall of 1901 for post-
graduate work under Dr. Richard T. Ely and thus continued his studies for a
year. He later entered the graduate law school of the University of Chicago
and since that time has been further prosecuting his law studies in the office
of his father in Sterling. He has filled the position of police magistrate and
is thoroughly qualifying himself for the arduous and difficult profession of
the law, expecting to become an active member of the profession, while his well
known abilities promise a successful future.

On the 27th of February, 1904, Mr. Johnson was married to Miss Jessie L.
Sharpe, a daughter of F. L. and Nettie (McKay) Sharpe, who were natives of



HISTORY OF WHITESIDE COUNTY 525

Illinois, the former of Pike county and the latter of Carroll county. Their
fnmily numbered four children, a daughter and three sons, including Mrs.
Johnson, who by her marriage has become the mother of one son, William S.
Mrs. Johnson is a member of the Presbyterian church. Mr. Johnson gives his
political support to the democracy. They are prominent socially in Sterling,
the hospitality of the best homes being cordially extended them and the circle
of their friends is almost co-extensive with the circle of their acquaintance.



EPHR41M M. EBERSOLE.

Ephraim M. Ebersole, who for some years prior to his death conducted an
insurance and rental agency in Sterling, where he became well known as an
enterprising citizen and trustworthy business man, was born in Lancaster coun-
ty, Pennsylvania, April 29, 1864. His parents were David D. and Anna (Mar-
tin) Ebersole, also natives of the Keystone state. The father devoted his
time and energies to farming in the east and after coming to Whiteside coun-
ty at an early period in its development he settled in Sterling township, where
he carried on general agricultural pursuits until hi? removal to Coloma town-
ship a few years later. He remained there for a year and then returned to
Sterling township, where he purchased land and carried on general farming
until a few years ago. when he took up his abode in Sterling, where he has
since lived retired. In his family were two sons and six daughters, namely:
Adaline, who resides in Newkirk. Oklahoma; Fannie, the wife of Aaron
Book, who resides near Prairieville, Lee county, Illinois; Melinda, who is
matron of the Mennonite Mission in Chicago; Ephraim M., whose name intro-
duces this review; Anna, of Lee county; David, who resides in Newkirk, Okla-
homa: Magdalena, who became the wife of Amos Wise, but is now deceased;
.and Amanda, who is still at home.

Ephraim M. Ebersole was reared in Whiteside county from his boyhood
days and attended East Science Ridge district school, while later he became a
.student in Sterling Business College. Subsequently he took up the study of
telegraphy and was appointed to a position as operator at Iron Mountain,
Michigan. Two years later he was invited to go into the insurance depart-
ment of the Iron Mountain Bank, where he learned the insurance business,
there spending some time. In 1894, however, he returned to Sterling and pur-
chased the insurance and renting department of Frank Walzer. He then con-
ducted business here on his own account up to the time of his death, and the
business circles of the city sustained a distinct loss in his demise.

On the 23d of December, 1890. Mr. Ebersole was married to Miss Hattie
Mack, a daughter of Theodore and Harriet (Emmons) Mack. Her paternal
grandfather was Horace R. Mack, a native of Connecticut and of Scotch
descent, who wedded Mary Miles. He was born in 1809 and died in 1851,
while his wife passed away at the advanced age of eighty years. They had
four children: Theodore, father of Mrs. Ebersole; Charles Miles, who was
born January 29, 1839. and died in November, 1907; Arthur Le Roy, who



526 HISTORY OF WHITESIDE COUNTY

died when ten years-of age ; and Mary E., who married Owen Bryant, who died
in 1907, while she now makes her home at Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. Hav-
ing lost her first husband, Mrs. Mary Miles Mack became the wife of Hezekiah
Windom, who died four years later, while her death occurred when she was
eighty years of age. The maternal grandfather of Mrs. Ebersole was Asa
Emmons, who married Elizabeth Bartlett. Both were natives of the state of
New York and the former was a carpenter by trade. With his wife and daugh-
ter he came west to Illinois in 1839, settling in Sterling, where he followed
carpentering. Here was born a son, William H., who died at the age of three
months. Asa Emmons married a second time, his second wife being Nancy
A. Booth, and they had five children : Ida, who was born in 1845 and is the
wife of Charles M. Hewitt, of Rock Falls ; Samuel and Lucinda, who died in
infancy; William L., who was born in 1855 and died in 1900; and Cora, the
wife of S. M. Mingle, of Rock Falls.

Theodore Mack, father of Mrs. Ebersole, was born October 5, 1836, in
Brooklyn. Pennsylvania, and was married in Newton township, Whiteside
county, Illinois, December 8, 1859, to Harriet M. Emmons. He returned to
Brooklyn, Pennsylvania, in 1851, spending a year and a half in attending
school and two years in learning the cabinet-maker's trade in Montrose, Penn-
sylvania. In 1855 he again came to Sterling, where he followed his trade un-
til 1862, when he enlisted in Company I), Seventy-fifth Illinois Volunteer In-
fantry, joining the army at Louisville, Kentucky, and participating in the
war until its close. He was engaged in the battle of Perryville, and the skirm-
ish at Lancaster, Kentucky, but escaped unharmed. At Nashville, however,
he became ill and after six months of suffering was honorably discharged
June 29. 1863. Returning home, his health slowly came back to him and he
then followed his trade until the spring of 1868, when he and his brother,
Charles M. Mack, founded the Whiteside Chronicle. Later he purchased the
interest of his brother and changed the name of the paper to the Sterling
Standard. It was devoted largely to temperance reform and was a strong ele-
ment in freeing the city from whiskey rule and from the practice of licens-
ing saloons. He thus did a noble work for mankind. Mr. and Mrs. Theodore
Mack had a family of four children: Myra, who was born July 17, 1861, in
Sterling and won the class honors upon her graduation from the high school,
died in 1881, when but twenty years of age. Charles Theodore, a printer of
New York city, was born January 24, 1863, and married Luella Hill. Harriet,
born April 26, 1866, in Sterling, is now Mrs. Ebersole. Elizabeth, born Janu-
ary 27, 1868, died February 23, 1869.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. Ebersole were born two children, Charles D., born
January 16, 1892, and Florence Marie, born September 8, 1898. The death
of the husband and father occurred November 6, 1903, and was the occasion of
deep and wide spread regret. He was a prominent, influential member and
active worker of the Congregational church, who served as church clerk for
a number of years and also as trustee, while of the Sunday School he was
secretary and treasurer. His wife belonged to the same church and shared
with him in the good work. Mr. Ebersole affiliated with Sterling Lodge, No.
174, 1. 0. 0. F., was presiding officer of that lodge and also of the encampment



HISTORY OF WHITESIDE COUNTY 527

at the time of his demise. He likewise belonged to Rock River Lodge, No.
612, A. F. & A. M., to Corinthian Lodge of the Knights of Pythias, and to
the Mystic Workers. He was devoted to the welfare of his wife and children
and found his greatest happiness in ministering to their comfort. He mani-
fested all the traits of an enterprising, progressive and loyal citizen and re-
liable business man, his life ever being guided by high principles. Mrs. Bber-
sole still survives her husband and in 1907 built a fine residence at No. 403-5
East Fifth street, where she is now living with her children.



W. D. REYNOLDS.

W. D. Reynolds, who for the past fifteen years has operated the White
Pine stock farm, comprising four hundred and sixty acres situated on sec-
tions 2 and 3, Mount Pleasant township, is well known as a stock raiser and
breeder of thoroughbred shorthorn cattle. He was born on this farm, January
20, 1861, a son of Chauncey W. and Althea (Dean) Reynolds. The father
was born near Rutland, Vermont, November 12, 1821, and there lived until
1851, when he made his way westward, locating first in Davenport, Iowa, where
for seven years he was employed in a sawmill, although by trade he was a
blacksmith. He was married in December. 1856, to Miss Althea Dean, and in
the spring of 1858 made his way to Whiteside county and purchased a farm
of one hundred and twenty acres in Mount Pleasant township. As he pros-
pered in his undertakings he added to his original holdings until he became
the owner of four hundred and sixty acres of land situated in Mount Pleasant
and Clyde townships. He made many modern improvements upon the farm
and was actively identified with general farming and stockraising throughout
a long period but for the past fifteen years he has lived retired in Morrison.
The mother was born in Westchester, New York, and in early youth accom-
panied her parents to Kane county, Illinois. She is now deceased, her death
occurring in Morrison, June 14, 1898, when she was sixty-five years of age.
She was the mother of five children, namely: Mary A., the wife of Samuel
E. McCune, a resident of Clyde township ; Walter Dean, of this review ; Ray-
mond A., who is engaged in the undertaking business in Morrison; Lydia L.,
who became the wife of Rev. R. A. Moreley, a Methodist minister, and passed
away February 1, 1899; and C. W., who is engaged in the jewelry business at
Colorado City, Colorado.

Walter D. Reynolds, was reared on his father's farm until he had reached
mature years, after which he spent two years in a furniture store in Sterling
and then went to Chicago, working in the Fair for a similar period. In 1892
he returned to the farm and has since been engaged in farming and stock-
raising, now operating his father's property, known as the White Pine stock
farm. He makes a specialty of stock feeding and raising and also breeds
thoroughbred Shorthorn cattle. He handles from one hundred to one hun-
dred and twenty-five head of cattle annually and also raises from one hnudred
to one hundred and fifty head of hogs each year, finding this branch of his
business a profitable one.



528 HISTORY OF WHITESIDE COUNTY

Mr. Reynolds was married in \Vhite.side county to Miss Cora Belle Ells-
worth, who was born in Mansville, Jefferson county, New York, in 1864, a
daughter of Kneeland and Lurissa Avaline (Goodenough) Ellsworth. Her
father was reared in Rochester and was a tanner by trade. He was married in
Mansville, New York, and thereafter made his home in that city, passing
away in November, 1870, at the comparatively early age of forty years. After
the death of the father, the mother was again married, her second union being
with Lemuel Bent. Her death occurred on Christmas day of 1900. The mar-
riage of Mr. and Mrs. Ellsworth was blessed with three children, the sisters of
Mrs. Reynolds 'being: Josephine, the widow of C. II. Van Schaick, of Syracuse,
New York; and Eva G., the wife of J. J. Daly, now a resident of Los Angeles,
California, but who formerly resided in Sterling.

The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds has been blessed with a daugh-
ter and son ; Viviene Lurissa, who in 1907 became the wife of Robert S. Mets-
ker. and now resides in Belle Plaine, Iowa; and Ellsworth, who is attending
school. Mr. Reynolds gives his political support to the republican party and in
religious faith is a Baptist, now serving as a deacon in the church. Socially he
is connected with the Fraternal Tribunes and the Mystic Workers. He is a
man of sound business judgment, enterprising and progressive in his methods
and has thereby won a gratifying success which now classes him among the
prominent citizens of this section of the state, while his social qualities have
gained him many warm friends.



HON. JOHN GALT MANAHAN.

No compendium such as this work defines in its essential limitations
will serve to offer fit memorial to the subject of this review, for it is impossi-
ble to measure the influence of a life of such diversified activity and interests
as that of Hon. John Gait Manahan. Prominent as a lawyer and as a pro-
moter of business concerns, he was likewise prominent in public service and
was equally well known in connection with his earnest, effective and far-
reaching labors in behalf of the moral development of the community.
Moreover, he is entitled to representation in this volume as one of its honored
pioneer citizens, having come to Whiteside county in 1846.

Mr. Manahan was born in Concord, Lancaster county. Pennsylvania,
May 12, 1837, and is of Scotch-Irish lineage, the family being founded in
America by one who came from County Cavan, Ireland. The great-grand-
father, James Manahan, who was born March 16, 1740, served as a soldier
under General Washington in the Revolutionary war and died February
17, 1823, having lived for more than a third of a century to enjoy the fruits
of liberty which he had helped to win. The grandfather, James E. Mana-
han, was born near Baltimore, Maryland, March 16 or March 18, 1777, and
at an early period in the development of Whiteside county came with his
wife to Illinois, their remaining days being here passed.

William Manahan, known as Uncle Billy, father of our subject, was
born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, on the 25th of February, 1806, and



ILLINOIS



HISTORY OF WHITESIDE COUNTY 531

-while in the east engaged in merchandising and also conducted a private
railroad. Before leaving his native county he was married in 1829 to Miss
Isabella Gait, who was also bom there, an aunt of Thomas A. Gait,, of
Sterling, and a descendant of Robert Gait, who emigrated to America in
1710. The year 1846 witnessed the arrival of William and Isabella Mana-
han in Whiteside county. They located in the town of Gait and as the years
passed Mr. Manahan became an extensive landowner, having property in
different parts of the county up to the time of his death. He was one of the
first settlers of this locality who traveled westward by way of the Ohio and
Mississippi rivers, driving thence across the country to Fulton. He con-
tinued to reside upon his farm near Gait until elected sheriff of the county
in 1854, at which time he took up his abode in Sterling, then the county



Online LibraryWilliam W DavisHistory of Whiteside County, Illinois from its earliest settlement to 1908 : illustrated, with biographical sketches of some prominent citizens of the county (Volume v.1) → online text (page 60 of 72)