Copyright
William Wilson Hunter.

The imperial gazetteer of India (Volume 8) online

. (page 64 of 64)
Online LibraryWilliam Wilson HunterThe imperial gazetteer of India (Volume 8) → online text (page 64 of 64)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


MALVALLI taluk.

Maddlir.— Village in Mysore District, Mysore State. Lat. 12 35'
30" n., long. 77 5' 20" e. ; on the right bank of the Shimsha river,
40 miles by road north-east of Mysore town. Population (1881) 21 17.
Old town, with many temples and tanks. Said to have been originally
named Arjunapura by the Pandyan prince Arjuna when on a pil-
grimage. One of the Hoysala Ballala kings is related to have assigned
the town as indm or rent-free grant to the Brahmans or priestly
caste. The fort was dismantled by Lord Comwallis in 1791, and
the place has never recovered from the ruin caused during the war
with Tipii. The situation is now unhealthy. Until 1875 it was the
head-quarters of Maddlir taluk, since abolished and divided between
Mandya and Malvalli taluks. A brick bridge of 7 arches was constructed
across the Shimsha in 1850, over which the Bangalore-Mysore Railway
now runs. On this railway Maddlir is a station.

Made.— Village in Coorg, at the Sampaji ghat on the Merkara-
Mangalore road! Population (1881) 2194. Head-quarters of the
Parpattigar of Kaggodalnad, with public bungalow. Several coffee
estates in the neighbourhood.

Madgiri.— Tdluk in Tumkiir District, Mysore State. Area, 437
square miles, of which no are cultivated. Population (1881) 59,729,
namely, 30,270 males and 29,459 females; of these 58,176 were
Hindus, 1528 Muhammadans, and 25 Christians. Land revenue
(1881-82), ,£11,578, or 4s. per cultivated acre. A fertile tract,
water being everywhere easily obtained beneath the surface by means
of talpargis or spring heads. The rice, known as chinnada saldki or
golden stick, is reckoned the best in Mysore, and the breed of cattle
is also fine. The Pinakini river runs through the open country to the
north; nearly parallel, to the west, flow its affluents, the Jayamangali
and the Kumadvati. The taluk contains 2 criminal courts ; police
stations, 10; regular police, 104 men; village watch {chaukiddrs), 332.
Total revenue (1883), ,£18,685.



54 o MADGIRI— MADHA.

Madgiri {{ Honey HUP). — Town in Tiimkiir District, Mysore State ;
24 miles north of Tiimkiir town, at the north base of the Madgiri-drug,
and surrounded by hills. Lat. 13° 39' n., long. 77 16' e. Population
(1 881) 2S46. Old town, which has grown up under the protection
of the fortifications on the neighbouring hill. It prospered greatly
under both Haidar All and his son Tipii, but was twice sacked by
the Marathas in 1774 and 1791. There are now manufactures of
iron, steel, cotton cloth, and blankets ; and a brisk trade in brass,
copper, and silver utensils. Rice is largely exported. Two large
temples of Venkatramanaswami and Malleswara are conspicuous
objects ; the latter is gracefully ornamented under the eaves with
carved figures of pigeons life-size. Head-quarters of the Madgiri
taluk. Sub-judge's court and post-office.

Madgiri-dnig. — Hill in Tiimkiir District, Mysore State; 3935 feet
above sea-level, crowned with old fortifications commanding the town
of Madgiri. Lat. 13 39' 30" N. y long, 77 14' 40" e. On the summit
are springs of water, with large granaries excavated in the rock. The
present formidable works were erected by Haidar Ah', in substitution for
the mud walls oi&pdlegdr or petty chieftain.

Madgula (Madgole). — Town in Vizagapatam District, Madras Presi-
dency. Lat. 17 55' n., long. 82 51' 30" e. Population (1881) 7612 j
number of houses, 1639. Hindus numbered 7441 j Muhammadans,
168; Christian, r ; and 'others,' 2. Situated at the foot of the ghats
which separate the low country from Jaipur, about 30a feet above sea-
level. Madgula is the chief town of an ancient hill zaminddri or estate
lying partly above and partly below the gnats, paying apes/ikas/i (tribute)
°f ^3 0I ° t0 Government. Madgula estate contained in 187 1, 139
villages and 56,512 inhabitants ; the Census of 1S81 did not return the
population of the estate separately. The estate is partly under the
' Agency Administration ' of Jaipur (Jeypore).

Madha. — Sub-division of Sholapur District, Bombay Presidency ;
situated between lat. 1 f 38' and 1S 10' n., and long. 75 13' and 75 46' e.
Area, 619 square miles. Population (1881) 67,961, namely, 34,973
males and 32,988 females, dwelling in 89 villages. Hindus number
63,096 ; Muhammadans, 3338 ; and ' others,' 1527. Madha is an undu-
lating plain, irregular in shape ; the tops of all the higher ridges, though
covered with yellow stunted grass, are bare of trees, and have a barren
soil. The watershed crosses the Sub-division in the direction of its
greatest length from north-west to south-east; and the streams flow
eastward into the Sina and southward into the Bhima. Setting aside the
Ashti lake, situated about 15 miles south-west of Madha town, the land
is chiefly watered from wells. The climate is dry, and hot winds pre-
vail from March to May. Of the 619 square miles, 613 had been
surveyed up to 1883. Lands of alienated villages occupy 22 square miles.



MADHA—MADHES WARANMALAL 541

The rest consists of 347,325 acres of cultivable land; 11,866 acres of
uncultivable land; 2303 acres of forests; and 20,343 acres of village
sites, roads, rivers, and streams. Included in the 347,325 acres of cul-
tivable land, are 16,746 acres of alienated lands in Government villages.
In 1882-83, the total number of holdings was 6159, with an average
area of about 46 acres. In 1881-82, of 251,602 acres, the whole area
held for tillage, 47,929 acres were fallow or under grass. Of the re-
maining 178,234 acres, 4077 were twice cropped. Of the 182,311
acres under tillage, grain crops occupied 153,533 acres; pulses, 8080
acres; oil-seeds, 18,080 acres; fibres, 813 acres; and miscellaneous
crops, 1805 acres. Land revenue (1881), ^12,112. In 1883, the
Sub-division contained 1 civil and 2 criminal courts; police circles
(thdnds), 4 ; regular police, 45 men ; village watchmen (chaiikiddrs), 195.

Madha. — Chief town of the Madha Sub-division, Sholapur District,
Bombay Presidency; situated in lat. 18 4' n., and long. 75 35' e.,
about 40 miles north-west of Sholapur town. Madha is a station on the
south-east line of the Great Indian Peninsula Railway. Population
(1881) 4078. Sub-judge's court, post-office, fort, weekly market on
Tuesday, and annual fair in September-October. The fort is now
used to accommodate the sub-divisional offices.

Madhan. — Petty State in the Punjab, subordinate to Keunthal.
Area, 13 square miles; estimated population, 1000; revenue, ^"160.
The chief (Thakur) is a Rajput, his family having originally come from
Bilaspur.

Madhapur. — Town in Porbandar State, Kathiawar, Bombay Presi-
dency. Population (188 1) 2667. An ancient town, with a temple to
Krishna, who is said, after his rape of Rukmini, to have celebrated
his marriage with the goddess here. The port is merely a roadstead,
and its trade is decreasing. Exports (1881-82), ^1163; imports,

Madhepur (Mddhupur). — Town in Darbhangah District, Bengal ;
situated in lat. 26 io' 20" n., and long. 86° 25' 1" e., at the junction
of the roads from Barhampur, Harsinghpur, Gopalpur ghat, and Dar-
bhangah. Population (1872) 7301; (1881) 5054, namely, Hindus,
3716; and Muhammadans, 1338. Area of town site, 2905 acres.
Police station and good bazar ; the Nawada indigo factory is in the
immediate neighbourhood. Madhepur is admirably suited for trade
with all parts of Tirhiit and Purniah, and will probably become an
important commercial town.

Madheswaranmalai. — Town in Collegal fdluk, Coimbatore District,
Madras Presidency. Lat. 12 2 n., long. 77 35' e. A place of
pilgrimage much resorted to during the Diwali (Dipvali) festival, and
on new moon days, especially the day of the new moon, in the Tamil
month of Tye (January-February). The population, which in 187 1



54 2 MADHOPUR—MADHUGARH.

was 7522, living in 1199 houses, was, at the Census of 1881, returned
at only 968 in 201 houses.

Madhopur (or Siwai Mddhopur). — Town in Jaipur State, Rajputana.
Situated about 43 miles north of Jaipur city. Population (1881) 14,07 5,
namely, 6980 males and 7095 females. Hindus number 10,169;
Muhammadans, 2952; 'others/ 954. Two annual fairs are held; one
in May, and the other in September, each attended by about 12,000

visitors.

Madhubani.— Sub-division of Darbhangah District, Bengal, lying
between 26 1' and 26 39' 30" n. lat., and between 85 52' and 86°
46' e. long. Area, 1349 square miles ; villages, 2926 ; occupied houses,
132,287. Population (1881), males 448,237, and females 459,268;
total, 907,505. Classified according to religion, there were — Hindus,
806,408; Muhammadans, 101,063; Christians, 20; and Santals, 14.
Density of population, 673 persons per square mile; villages per
square mile, 2*17 ; persons per village, 661 ; houses per square mile,
102 ; persons per house, 6*8. This Sub-division comprises the 4 police
circles (thdnds) of Madhubani, Benipati, Khajauli, and Phulpara. In
1883 it contained 1 civil and 2 criminal courts, a force of 113
policemen and 1587 chaiikiddrs or village watchmen.

Madhubani. — Town in Darbhangah District, Bengal, and head-
quarters of Madhubani Sub-division; situated in lat. 26 21' 20" n.,
and long. 86° 7' e., about 16 miles north-east of Darbhangah town.
Good bazar, with daily markets for grain, vegetables, and cloth. Situated
on one of the main roads from the south of the District to Nepal.
Population (1872) 8569; (1881) 11,911, namely, males 6131, and
females 5780. Hindus number 9945, and Muhammadans 1966.
Area of town site, 960 acres. Communications excellent ; dispensary
and hospital ; registration office ; sardi. Municipal revenue (1883-84),
^£972, of which ^509 was derived from taxation; average incidence
of taxation, 9! d. per head.

Madhugarh. — North-western tahsil of Jalaun District, Nortl>
Western Provinces, lying in the angle between the Pahuj and the Jumna
( Jamuna) rivers ; much intersected by ravines, but producing excellent
crops of sugar-cane. Area, 282 square miles, of which 203 are culti-
vated. Population (1872) 89,165; (1881) 97,457 (males 51,935, and
females 45,522), showing an increase in nine years of 8292, or 9-3
per cent. Classified according to religion, there were in 1881 —
Hindus, 94,47 2 ; Muhammadans, 2977; and Jains, 8. Of the 137
villages comprising the tahsil, 97 contained less than five hundred
inhabitants; 26 from five hundred to a thousand; 12 from one to
two thousand; 1 from two to three thousand; and 1 from ten to
fifteen thousand inhabitants. The estates of the Rajas of Rampura,
Jagamanpur, and Gopalpur are situated along the western boundary of



MADHUGARH—MADIIYARJUNAM. 543

the taksil They have not been subjected to interior survey ; their
Rajas pay no Government revenue or cesses, maintain their own police,
and have the sole administration of their estates, which are, however,
subject to the general control of the Deputy-Commissioner of the Dis-
trict. Land revenue, ^13,98 1 ; total Government revenue, .£15,652 ;
rental paid by cultivators, ^30,210; incidence of Government revenue,
is. 6 id. per acre. Madhugarh tahsil contains 4 civil and 4 criminal
courts, 2 of them presided over by honorary magistrates. Number
of police circles (thdnds), 6 ; strength of regular police, 58 men; village
watchmen {chaukiddrs), 181.

Madhugarh (known also as Rdniju). — Town in Jalaun District,
North- Western Provinces, and head-quarters of Madhugarh tahsil, 27
miles from Urai town, the District head-quarters. Population (1872)
2718; (1881) 343S, namely, males 1900, and females 1538. Tahsili
and police station. A small house-tax is levied for the conservancy
and watch and ward of the town.

Madhumati. — River of Bengal. — See Baleswar.

Madhupur. — Village in Pathankot tahsil, Gurdaspur District,
Punjab. Lat. 32 22' n., long. 75 39' e. Population (1868) 2675.
Not separately returned in the Census of 1881. The head-works of
the Bari Doab Canal are situated opposite this village.

Madhupur. — Extensive jungle, known also as the c Garh Gazali,'
stretching northwards from the northern part of Dacca into the heart
of Maimansingh District, Bengal, almost as far as the Brahmaputra.
A slightly elevated tract, averaging about 40 feet above the plain, with
small hills nowhere exceeding 100 feet in height. Covered with dense
jungle and grasses ; very unhealthy, and abounding in wild beasts,
but penetrated by the high-road to Maimansingh. The sal (Shorea
robusta) grows throughout the tract, and supplies timber and charcoal.
The open parts make good pasture grounds during the cold weather ;
and a considerable trade is carried on in beeswax and honey. A
large area has been planted or brought under cultivation, prin-
cipally with cotton and boro rice, by two public-spirited zaminddrs of
Dacca. The soil, a red ferruginous clay, was formerly smelted for
iron ; but this industry ceased to yield a livelihood on the introduction
of the English metal, and has now been abandoned.

Madhupur.— Town in Darbhangah District, Bengal. — See Mad-
hepur.

Madhwapur. — Village and bazar in Darbhangah District, Bengal j
situated on the Nepal frontier, on the river Dhaiis. A busy trade is
carried on with Nepal. Population (iS8i) 1692, of whom 151 7 were
Hindus and 175 Muhammadans.

Madhyarjunam (otherwise called Tiruvadamarudur). — Town in
Combaconum taluk, Tanjore District, Madras Presidency. Lat io =



544 MADNAGARH.



57' n., long. 79° 30' e. Six miles east of Combaconum, and twenty-
nine from Tanjore city. Containing, with its suburbs, a population (1881)
of 2506 persons, including 646 houses. Notable for its temple, and
as the residence of some of the Tanjore ex-royal family. Sub-magis-
trate's court, and a station on the main line of the South Indian

Railway.

Madnagarh.— Fine reservoir in Chanda District, Central Provinces ;
situated in lat. 20 35' N., and long. 79° 3 2 E., 11 miles east-north-east
of Chimur, under the western slopes of the Perzagarh range. Supplied
by a hill stream, diverted into it by a long embankment, at the end of
which are the remains of a fort. The village is deserted ; but the
neighbouring population cultivate the lands.



END OF VOLUME VIII.



^0



MORRISON AND GIEE, EDINBURGH,
PRINTERS TO HER MAJESTY'S STATIONERY OFFICE.



UMASS/BOSTON LIBRARIES

llll




1002083929

DS405 H94 1 RE

The imperial gazetteer of

8









Online LibraryWilliam Wilson HunterThe imperial gazetteer of India (Volume 8) → online text (page 64 of 64)