Copyright
Wisconsin Natural History Society. Archeological S.

The Wisconsin archeologist (Volume 41-43) online

. (page 1 of 33)
Online LibraryWisconsin Natural History Society. Archeological SThe Wisconsin archeologist (Volume 41-43) → online text (page 1 of 33)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


reference
collection i
book




Kansas city
public library
Kansas city,
missouri



From the collection of the




n
m



Prelinger h
v Jjibrary



t



San Francisco, California
2007




THE WISCONSIN
RCHEOLO6HT





ANIMAL, REMAINS FROM THE AZTALAN SITE,

JEFFERSON COUNTY, WISCONSIN, Paul W. Parmalee

ANIMAL REMAINS FROM THE DURST ROCKSHELTER,
SAUK COUNTY, WISCONSIN, Paul W. Parmalee

THE COLLECTOR'S CORNER

A ROSTER OF LAPHAM MEDALISTS



1
11

18
19



WISCONSIN ARCHEOLOGICAL SOCIETY

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Incorporated, 1906

For the purpose of advancing the study and preservation of
Wisconsin Indian Antiquities*



OFFICERS

PRESIDENT

P. H. Wiegand
VICE-PRESIDENTS

Laurence Kracht Dr. D. A. Baerreis Herman 0, Zander

Paul Scholz Lincoln Smith, Jr.

DIRECTORS

Dr. E. G. Bruder Kermit Freckman

ADVISORY COUNCIL

Frank Achen Zida C. Ivey Arthur W. Quan

Carlos Cortez Paul Koeppler Dr. Chandler W. Rowe

William Curkeet, Jr. Mrs. Theo. Koerner Chas. G. Schoewe
Edward Eichenberger William Oestreich Kirk Whaley
Dr. William Godfrey Neil Ostberg Dr. A. H. Whiteford

Robert L. Hall Louis Pierron Dr. Warren L. Wittry

Dr. Robert Howard Allen Prill Lincoln Smith, ST.

Dr. Stephan F. Borhegyi

TREASURER

Martin Greenwald, 4567-A N. 30th S., Milwaukee, Wis.

SECRETARY

Nona Wiegand, 1276 N. 63rd Ct., Wauwatosa 13, Wis.

EDITOR

Dr. Robert Ritzenthaler, Milwaukee Public Museum,
Milwaukee 3, Wis.



MEMBERSHIP FEES

The Wisconsin Archeologist is distributed to members
as part of their dues.

Life Members, $50.00 Endowment Members, $500.00

Sustaining Members, $5.00 Annual Members, $2.00

Institutional Members, $2.00

All communications in regard to the Wisconsin Archeological Society and
contributions to the Wisconsin Archeologist should be addressed to Phil H.
Wiegand, 1276 N. 6ard Ct., Wauwatosa 13. Wis. Entered as Second Class Matter
at the Post Office at Lake Mills, Wisconsin under the Act of August 21, 1913.
Office of Publication: 304 N. Main St., Lake Mills. Wis.



THE WISCONSIN ARCHEOLOGIST



New Series

Published Quarterly by The Wisconsin Archeological Society

JIN, MARCH, 1960




Membership List
1960



to The Wisconsin Archeologist
March, 1960 Vol. 41. No. 1



HE AZTALAN SITE,
, WISCONSIN

lalee

, Springfield



: the Crawfish River, the

ly five miles northwest of

be largest Middle Mississ-

the Crawfish River was

it, the minimum depth at

feet in low stages. One

here is a rapid which be-

/est water stages; such a

ource of fresh-water mus-

nsively by these Indians.

>f the river and semi-open

i ideal habitat conditions

the extensive marsh areas

ver and its tributaries.



iztalan Site have, through
use material such as shell,
er and pottery, provided
ie of life of these people
and their cultural affiliations with other groups.

The first intensive scientific excavation of Aztalan was made
in 1919, 1920 and 1932; the resulting data were published
(Barrett, 1933) and this work is the most comprehensive
treatment of the site to date. Additional work was carried on
in the years 1949 to 1954, under the sponsorship of the Wis-
consin Archaeological Survey, for the purpose of obtaining
supplementary archaeological information and to supply tech-



WISCONSIN ARCHEOLOGICAL SOCIETY

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Incorporated, 1906



For the purpose of advancing the study and preservation of
Wisconsin



WISCONSIN ARCHEOLOGICAL SOCIETY



O]

]

p,
vici

Laurence Kracht Dr. I

Paul Scholz

1
Dr. E. G. Bruder

ADVI

Frank Achen Zida <

Carlos Cortez Paul

William Curkeet, Jr. Mrs.
Edward Eichenberger Willix
Dr. William Godfrey Neil <
Robert L. Hall Louis

Dr. Robert Howard Allen
Dr. St

1

Martin Greenwald, 45(

&
Nona Wiegand, 1276

Dr. Robert Ritzentha
Mlb



In 1901 the archeological section of the
Wisconsin Natural History Society began the
publication of the Wisconsin Archeologist.
Within two years the section broke away and
formed the Wisconsin Archeological Society,
which has continued the publication of this
important archive of the State's archeology.

For nearly sixty years the publication has
contained descriptive information on mounds,
artifacts, and sites by professional arche-
ologists and by amateurs.

In 1911 the Wisconsin Archeological
Society received a State appropriation for the
purpose of conducting archeological surveys
and research which has continued to date.

The general objective of the Society is to
advance the study and preservation of Wisconsin
Indian antiquities. Monthly meetings are held
from September to June, with a speaker on some
archeological or ethnological subject. The
official publication is the Wisconsin Arche-
ologist published quarterly containing
articles of local interest and of the surround-
ing area, as archeology knows no boundary.
Members have participated in field work under
the direction of professional archeologists
and as individuals in the mapping of mound
sites and the location of new sites.

One of the most important functions of the
Society is to preserve the Indian antiquities
of the State and particularly to discourage
unorganized digging into prehistoric sites
through which important scientific information
would be lost. The Society, as a member of the
State Archeological Survey, also cooperates
with the State Conservation Department in
setting aside and preparing important sites for
the public benefit as State Parks.

Amateur and professional archeologists
making outstanding contributions are honored



MEMBERSHIP FEES

The Wisconsin Archeologist is distributed to members
as part of their dues.

Life Members, $50.00 Endowment Members, $500.00

Sustaining Members, $5.00 Annual Members, $2.00

Institutional Members, $2.00

All communications in regard to the Wisconsin Archeological Society and
contributions to the Wisconsin Archeologist should be addressed to Phil H
Wiegand, 1276 N. 6 3 rd Ct., Wauwatosa 13, Wis. Entered as Second Class Matter
the Post Office at Lake Mills, Wisconsin under the Act of August J"
Office of Publication: 304. N. Main St, Lake Mill* Wi.



THE WISCONSIN ARCHEOLOGIST

New Series
Published Quarterly by The Wisconsin Archeological Society

JIN. MARCH, 1960



by the presentation of a medal known as the
Laphara Research Medal.

The membership is composed of people of
all ages and from all walks of life, and, at
present, numbers 452. They need to have only
one thing in common an interest in the
Science of Archeology.



HE AZTALAN SITE,
, WISCONSIN

lalee

, Springfield

n

the Crawfish River, the
ly five miles northwest of
be largest Middle Mississ-

the Crawfish River was
it, the minimum depth at

feet in low stages. One
here is a rapid which be-
/est water stages; such a
ource of fresh-water mus-
:nsively by these Indians.
)f the river and semi-open
i ideal habitat conditions
the extensive marsh areas
ver and its tributaries.

Vztalan Site have, through
:use material such as shell,
er and pottery, provided
le of life of these people
and their cultural affiliations with other groups.

The first intensive scientific excavation of Aztalan was made
in 1919, 1920 and 1932; the resulting data were published
(Barrett, 1933) and this work is the most comprehensive
treatment of the site to date. Additional work was carried on
m the years 1949 to 1954, under the sponsorship of the Wis-
consin Archaeological Survey, for the purpose of obtaining
supplementary archaeological information and to supply tech-



********



This membership list of the Wisconsin
Archeological Society contains the names of
all members, in good standing, as of January,

For your convenience, the members are
also segregated by States and Cities.



Membership List for I960



Aberg, William, 16 N. Carroll St.,

Madison, Wis.
Achen, Frank A., 3529 Cross St.,

Madison. Wis.

Adrian, Sylvester, Montello, Wis.
Aeschimann, Robert, 2313 - 14th Ave.,

Monroe, Wis.
Alberts, Robert C., 4775 Sheridan Dr.,

Williamsville, N. T.

Anderson, John L., Route 2, Shobonier, 111.
Augustine, Mrs. Shirley, Lime Springs, Iowa

Baerreis, Dr. David, U. of Wis. Dept. of

Anthropology, Madison, Wis.
Bailey, Marvin, 1312 Pocohantas Drive,

Madison, Wis.
Barnett, Milton, 0. of Wis. Sterling Hall,

Madison, Wis.
Barrett, Dr. S. A. (L), 306 Spain St.,

Sonoma, California



WISCONSIN ARCHEOLOGICAL SOCIETY

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Incorporated, 1906



For the purpose of



Wisconsin



O



VIC

Laurence Kracht Dr. 3

Paul Scholz



Dr. E. G. Bruder



ADV1

Frank Achen Zida

Carlos Cortez Paul

William Curkeet, Jr. Mrs.
Edward Eichenberger Willi;
Dr. William Godfrey Neil
Robert L. Hall Louis

Dr. Robert Howard Allen
Dr. St.

5

Martin Greenwald, 45



Nona Wiegand, 1276



Dr. Robert Ritzenthi
Mil



Bastian. Tyler, 535 Walnut Street,

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Bauman, Dr. 0. H.. Waubeno, Wis.
Bauman, William, 131 W. Adams,

Pittsfield, 111.
Beaubien, Paul, 3127 Chicago St. #127,

Omaha, Nebraska

Becker, Bob, Box 206, Fish Creek, Wis.
Been, Parnel (L). Route 1, Grantsburg, Wis.
Beerntsen, C., 2061 Blake Ave.,

Racine, Wis.
Bell, Jack M., 330 N. Carroll St.,

Madison, Wis.
Bindrich, James, 2929 N. 45th St.,

Milwaukee, Wis.
Black, Robert F., U. of Wis. Dept. of

Geology, Madison, Wis.
Blake, Bradley, 1317 Jersey St.,

Stevens Point, Wis.
Blohm, R. A., 376 S. 4th St.,

Orem, Utah

Bookwalter, H. S., Clarksburg, Ohio
Borhegyi, Dr. Stephen F., 2515 N. Terrace Ave.,

Milwaukee, Wis.

Boyd, C. H., P. 0. Box 273, Minocqua, Wis.
Bradbury, Mrs. Julian, 3925 Hammersley Ave.,

Madison, Wis.
Breitwish, Howard, 4781 N. Idlewild Ave.,

Milwaukee, Wis.
Brickman, Gerald, 409 Locust St.,

Findlay, Ohio
Britten, Francis, 3017 Ammoria Drive,

Longview, Washington
Brossard, Joseph. 1052 Chicago Ave.,

Oak Park, Illinois
Broughton, Albert, 225 Bradford St.,

Platteville, Wis.
Brown, Mrs. Charles (H), 1711 Jefferson St.,

Madison, Wis.
Bruder, Dr. E. G. (L), 1134V. Burleigh St.,

Milwaukee, Wis.
Bruder, Mrs. E. G. (L) , 1134 W. Burleigh St.,

Milwaukee, Wis.
Bubbert, Walter (L), 1516 M. 37th St.,

Milwaukee, Wis.
Buck, A. D. Jr., U. of Wis. Dept. of

Anthropology, Madison, Vis.
Buckstaff, Ralph N., 2119 N. Main St.,

Oshkosh, Wis.



MEMBERSHIP FEES



The Wisconsin Archeologist is distributed to members
as part of their dues.

Life Members, $50.00 Endowment Members, $500.00

Sustaining Members, $5.00 Annual Members, $2.00

Institutional Members, $2.00

All communications in regard to the Wisconsin Archeological Society and
contributions to the Wisconsin Archeologist should be addressed to Phil H.
Wiegand, 1276 N. 6ard Ct., Wauwatosa 13, Wis. Entered as Second Class Matter
at the Post Office at Lake Mills, Wisconsin under the Act of August ai. IQIS
Office of Publication: 204. N. Main St, Lake Mills. Wis.



THE WISCONSIN ARCHEOLOGIST

New Series
Published Quarterly by The Wisconsin Archeological Society

JIN, MARCH, 1960



Burnett, Alva Jr., 3624 N. 3rd St.,
Clinton, Iowa

Carl, Harry G., 2304 Davie St.,

DaTenport, Iowa
Caslar, Mrs. N. H., 222 Ash St.,

Spooner. Wis.
Chapman, Allan D., 115 Willow St.,

Brooklyn, N. Y.
Chard, Dr. Chester, U. of Wis. Dept. of

Anthropology, Madison, Wis.
Cheeseboro, Earl, Hancock County, Niota, 111.
Colburn, Edward D., Argonne, Wis.
Cole, James, 2507 N. Bartlett Ave.,

Milwaukee. Wis.
Cooke, Mrs. Henry Jr., Helm Road,

Dundee, Illinois
Cooper, John (L) , 5539 N. 36th St.,

Milwaukee, Wis.
Copeland, Dr. S. G., 1054 Lilley Ave.,

Columbus, Ohio
Cornell, Herbert W., 4117 N. 15th St.,

Milwaukee, Wis.
Cortex, Carlos, 1807 Manitowoc Ave.,

South Milwaukee, Wis.
Crawford, Harold K., 3303 Sunnyside,

Hannibal, Missouri
Cunningham, W. J., 120 Pipestone St.,

Benton Harbor, Michigan
Curkeet, William Jr., 119 E. Washington Ave.,

Madison, Wis.

Dallman, John E., 837 Burbank Place,

Madison, Wis.

Damereau, Henry (L), Brandon, Wis.
Daring, Wilson V., Route 5, Napolean, Ohio
Davenport, Robert, 5707 - 13th Ave.,

Kenosha, Wis.
Davis, Leo Paul, 905 N. Joliet St.,

Wilmington, 111.

Deich, Eugene M., Route 2, Cambria, Wis.
Determan, Dr. R. W. , Box 453, Warren, 111.
Dickey, P. G., 6745 Ash Place,

Gary, Indiana

Dietz, E. F., Box 121, Mason, Wis.
Dillon, Joe, Christopher, Illinois
Dodds, Charles, Route 2, Danville, Iowa
Doerflinger, J. A., 150 E. Gorhara St.,

Madison, Wis.



HE AZTALAN SITE,
, WISCONSIN

lalee

., Springfield

>n

F the Crawfish River, the
ly five miles northwest of
he largest Middle Mississ-

the Crawfish River was
it, the minimum depth at

feet in low stages. One
here is a rapid which be-
vest water stages; such a
ource of fresh-water mus-
msively by these Indians.
Df the river and semi-open
d ideal habitat conditions
the extensive marsh areas
iver and its tributaries.



\ztalan Site have, through
fuse material such as shell,
>er and pottery, provided
________ ie of life of these people

and their cultural affiliations with other groups.

The first intensive scientific excavation of Aztalan was made
in 1919, 1920 and 1932; the resulting data were published
(Barrett, 1933) and this work is the most comprehensive
treatment of the site to date. Additional work was carried on
in the years 1949 to 1954, under the sponsorship of the Wis-
consin Archaeological Survey, for the purpose of obtaining
supplementary archaeological information and to supply tech-



WISCONSIN ARCHEOLOGICAL SOCIETY

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Incorporated, 1906



For the purpose of



Wisconsin



VIC

Laurence Kracht Dr. ]

Paul Scholz



Dr. E. G. Bruder



ADV1

Frank Achen Zida

Carlos Cortez Paul

William Curkeet, Jr. Mrs.
Edward Eichenberger Willi
Dr. William Godfrey Neil
Robert L. Hall Louis

Dr. Robert Howard Allen
Dr. St

5

Martin Greenwald, 45

I

Nona Wiegand, 1276



Dr. Robert Ritzenth
Mil



Drier, Roy W. , 715 Pine St., Calumet, Mich.
Dugstad, Lloyd A.. Box 367, Albert Lea, Minn.
Dunn, Norman L., 1025 West St.,

Findlay, Ohio
Dunn, Walter S., State Historical Society,

816 State St., Madison, Via.

Ebert, Dr. R. 0., Pine Rirer, Wis.
Edwards, Milo F., McFarland, Wis.
Eichenberger, Ed., Route 2, Box 258,

Musk ego, Wis.
Emielity, Joseph G., 3273 N. 24th St.,

Milwaukee, Wis.
Erdman, W. E. (L), 214 Clasen St.,

Horicon, Wis.
Erlandson, W. J., Leader Printing Company,

Lake Mills, Wis.
Ewen, Patricia, 408 Caroline St.,

Neenah, Wis.

Farvour, Franklin, P. 0. Box 3d,

Ripon, Wis.
Field, Dr. H. P., 120$ Winnebago St.,

Decorah, Iowa
Fields, Lester L., 53 W. Jackson Blvd.,

Chicago, Illinois
Fischer, Dr. A. K. (L), U. of Iowa, College

of Dentistry, Iowa City, Iowa
Fish, Richard, Route 1, Box 466,

Burlington, Wis.
Flaherty, Mrs. E. Jr., N62 W15127 Teepee Ct.,

Butler, Wis.
Foley. Daniel, 5349 N. Bay Ridge,

Whitefish Bay. Wis.
Folsum, W. R., 1454 N. Dearborn St.,

Chicago, Illinois
Forbes, Charles 0. Jr., Route 3,

New Castle, Pennsylvania
Forel, George J.. 3510 N. 58th St.,

Omaha, Nebraska

Fowles, Edward, 726 Neville, Green Bay, Wis.
Fox, George R. (L), Route 2, Dowagiac, Michigan
Freckmann, Kermit, 4240 N. 36th St.,

Milwaukee, Wis.
Freeman, Joan, 522 N. Pinckney,

Madison, Wis.
Friend, Mrs. N. 0., Route 1, Box 126,

Hartland, Wis.



MEMBERSHIP FEES

The Wisconsin Archeologist is distributed to members
as part of their dues.

Life Members, $50.00 Endowment Members, $500.00

Sustaining Members, $5.00 Annual Members, $2.00

Institutional Members, $2.00

All communications in regard to the Wisconsin Archeological Society and
contributions to the Wisconsin Archeologist should be addressed to Phil H.
Wiegand, 1276 N. 6ard Ct., Wauwatosa 13, Wis. Entered as Second Class Matter
at the Post Office at Lake Mills, Wisconsin under the Act of August az. ioia.
Office of Publication: 204 N. Main St, Lake Mills. Wis.



THE WISCONSIN ARCHEOLOGIST



New Series
Published Quarterly by The Wisconsin Archeological Society

JIN. MARCH, 1960



Gannon, Joseph C., P. 0. Box 217,

Marquette, Michigan
Gates, Bruce M., 611 Cedar Point Dr.,

Williams Bay, Wis.
Gebhart, B. R. , 634 Naple,

Celina, Ohio
Gelander, Robert, 722 River Lane,

Loves Park, Illinois
Genzmer, Elmer (H), Mayville, Wis.
Oillich, Joseph Jr., Hustisford, Wis.
Glass, Glenn, Route 2, Alexis, Illinois
Godfrey, Dr. Wm., Logan Museum, Beloit, Wis,
Goodall, Charles S., 871 Eldorado,

Winnetka, Illinois
Gratke, Paul, Milwaukee Public Museum,

Milwaukee, Wis.
Gray, Dr. Margery, U. of Wis. Dept. of

Anthropology, Madison, Wis.
Green, Frank A. Jr., 70 Blackstone St.,

Coal City, Illinois
Greenwald, Martin, 4567A N. 30th St.,

Milwaukee, Wis.
Greget, L. L., 2336 N. 84th St.,

Wauwatosa, Wis.
Grogan, Larry P., Class 16 - Bldg. 520,

Great Lakes, Illinois
Grogan, 0. P., P. 0. Box 689,

Florence, Alabama
Grutzmacher, A. D., Mukwonago, Wis.

Haight, William H.. Cambridge, Wis.
Haka, Edward P., 419 Portage St.,

Stevens Point, Wis.
Hall, George, R. L. Hall Abstract Co.,

Oconto, Wis.
Hall, Dr. Robert, Coyote Motel,

Vermillion, South Dakota
Hall, Taylor, 301 Reid St.,

West De Pere, Wis.
Hallstrom, Richard, P. 0. Box 467,

Waukesha, Wis.
Halstead, James P., Devils Lake State Park,

Devils Lake, Wis.

Hamilton, Edward P., Two Rivers, Wis.
Hammond, Donald, Route 7, Brokaw, Wis.
Handegard, Gilbert, 585 Norman Drive,

Novato, California
Hannant, Wayne, Chambersburg, Illinois



HE AZTALAN SITE,
', WISCONSIN

lalee

., Springfield

>n

F the Crawfish River, the
ly five miles northwest of
he largest Middle Mississ-

the Crawfish River was
it, the minimum depth at

feet in low stages. One
here is a rapid which be-
vest water stages; such a
ource of fresh-water mus-
msively by these Indians,
sf the river and semi-open
d ideal habitat conditions

the extensive marsh areas
iver and its tributaries.



\ztalan Site have, through
fuse material such as shell,
>er and pottery, provided
ie of life of these people
and their cultural affiliations with other groups.

The first intensive scientific excavation of Aztalan was made
in 1919, 1920 and 1932; the resulting data were published
(Barrett, 1933) and this work is the most comprehensive
treatment of the site to date. Additional work was carried on
in the years 1949 to 1954, under the sponsorship of the Wis-
consin Archaeological Survey, for the purpose of obtaining
supplementary archaeological information and to supply tech-



WISCONSIN ARCHEOLOGICAL SOCIETY

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Incorporated, 1906



For the purpose of



Wisconsin



Laurence Kracht

Paul Scholz

Dr. E. G. Bruder



P
VIC

Dr. ]

3



ADV1

Frank Achen Zida

Carlos Cortez Paul

William Curkeet, Jr. Mrs.
Edward Eichenberger Willi
Dr. William Godfrey Neil
Robert L. Hall Louis

Dr. Robert Howard Allen
Dr. St.

r

Martin Greenwald, 45

{
Nona Wiegand, 1276

Dr. Robert Ritzenthj
Mil



University of Wisconsin Library, Madison, Wis,
University of Wisconsin in Milwaukee Library,

Milwaukee, Wis.
Upper Ohio Archeological Survey,

Pittsburg, Pa.

Waldo, Dwight D, Library, Kalamazoo, Mich.
Wausau Public Library, Wausau, Wis.
Wisconsin Conservation Dept., Madison, Wis.
Wisconsin Free Library Comra., Madison, Wis.
Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wis.

Yale University Library, New Haven, Conn.



Membership List By States And Cities

(See Alphabetical list for full
name and address.)

ALABAMA

Florence : Grogan

ARKANSAS

Fayetteville: Horn
Glenwood: Howell

CALIFORNIA

Berkeley: McKern
Novato: Handegard
Sonoma: Barrett

COLORADO

Denver: Douglas

FLORIDA

Ft. Lauderdale: Nelson

ILLINOIS

Alexis: Glass
Antioch: Young
Batavia: Mier
Carterville: Porter
Chamber sburg: Hannant



MEMBERSHIP FEES



The Wisconsin Archeologist is distributed to members
as part of their dues.

Lif e Members, $50.00 Endowment Members, $500.00

Sustaining Members, $5.00 Annual Members, $2.00

Institutional Members, $2.00

All communications in regard to the Wisconsin Archeological Society and
contributions to the Wisconsin Archeologist should be addressed to Phil H.
Wiegand, 1276 N. 6ard Ct., Wauwatosa 13, Wis. Entered as Second Class Matter
at the Post Office at Lake Mills, Wisconsin under the Act of August ai xoia
Office of Publication: 304 N. Main St., Lake Mills.



THE WISCONSIN ARCHEOLOGIST

New Series

Published Quarterly by The Wisconsin Archeological Society

JIN, MARCH, 1960



ILLINOIS-Cont .

Chicago: Fields, Folsom, Hughes, Larson,
Mertz, Nessler, Quinby, Schultz,
Schupp, Smith, Strohm
Christopher: Dillon
Coal City: Green
Danville: Pruett
Dixon: Wentling
Dundee: Cooke
East St. Louis: Throop
Elkhart: Naugle
Evanston: Lind, Steuver
Fairbury: Nussbaum
Fairmoun-t: Richter
Flora: Lewis
Forest: Inversetti
Glen Ellyn: Wagner
Glencoe: Yager
Great Lakes: Grogan
Gridley: Roth
Harvey: Vereley
Kenney: Meadows
Knoxville: Wilson
LaGrange Park: Vanerka
Lawrenceville: Helm
Libertyville: Ray
Loves Park: Gelander
Melvin : Thackeray
Mt. Prospect: Lemke
Niota: Cheeseboro
Oak Park: Oehmig, Brossard
Peoria: Morse
Pinckneyville: Howard
Pitts fie Id: Bauman
Putnam: Kannenberg
Quincy: Stephens
Rockford: Rilling
Rock Island: Howard
Rushville: Rittenhouse
Shobonier: Anderson
Springfield: Wittry
Toulon: Perkins
Wadsworth: Vogel
Warren: Detterman
West Chester: Winterhalter
Western Springs: Soday
Wilmington: Davis
Winnetka: Goodall, Jerrard
Zion: Murphy



HE AZTALAN SITE,
, WISCONSIN

lalee

., Springfield



F the Crawfish River, the
ly five miles northwest of
he largest Middle Mississ-

the Crawfish River was
it, the minimum depth at

feet in low stages. One
here is a rapid which be-
vest water stages; such a
ource of fresh-water mus-
msively by these Indians,
of the river and semi-open
d ideal habitat conditions
the extensive marsh areas
iver and its tributaries.



\ztalan Site have, through
fuse material such as shell,
>er and pottery, provided
________ie of life of these people

and their cultural affiliations with other groups.

The first intensive scientific excavation of Aztalan was made
in 1919, 1920 and 1932; the resulting data were published
Barrett, 1933) and this work is the most comprehensive
treatment of the site to date. Additional work was carried on
in the years 1949 to 1954, under the sponsorship of the Wis-
consin Archaeological Survey, for the purpose of obtaining
supplementary archaeological information and to supply tech-



WISCONSIN ARCHEOLOGICAL SOCIETY

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Incorporated, 1906



For the purpose of

Wisconsin



O



VIC

Laurence Kracht Dr. 3

Paul Scholz



Dr. E. G. Bruder



ADV1

Frank Achen Zida

Carlos Cortez Paul

William Curkeet, Jr. Mrs.
Edward Eichenberger Willi
Dr. William Godfrey Neil
Robert L. Hall Louis

Dr. Robert Howard Allen
Dr. St

r

Martin Greenwald, 45

I
Nona Wiegand, 1276



Dr. Robert Ritzentlu
Mil



Lehmann, Dr. F. W., 65 S. Main St.,

Hartford, Via.
Leipold, Arthur, 1106 Indiana St.,

Racine, Wis.
Lellep, 0. G., 508 N. 115 St.,

Wauwatosa, Wis.
Lemke, Kenneth P., 216 S. George St.,

Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Lemmon, Loren, Pellyton, Kentucky
LeTellier, Zeno, 1292 N. 63rd St.,

Wauwatosa, Wis.
Lewis, Don E., Route 3, Box 78,

Flora, Illinois
Lewis, Dr. T. M. N., U. of Tennessee,

Dept. of Anthropology, Knoxville, Tenn.
Lilly, Eli (L), 580? Sunset Lane,

Indianapolis, Ind.
Lind, Allan, 1213 Michigan Are.,

Evanston, Illinois
Longacre, Bill, 213 Blanche St.,

Houghton, Michigan
Loomis, Mary, 2712 N. 37th St.,

Milwaukee, Wis.

Luebke, Earl, Route 1, Iron Ridge, Wis.
Lurie, Nancy 0., 3300 East Delhi Road,

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Luther, Elmer C., 1754 S. 62nd St.,

West Allis, Wis.
Luther, Dr. Tom, 510 W. College,

Applet on, Wis.

Mack, David J., 1210 Bowdoin Road,

Madison, Wis.
Maher, John R., 663 South Wilder,

St. Paul, Minnesota
Maher, Robert, U. of Western Michigan,

Dept. of Sociology, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Maloof, Dr. George, 19 N. Pinckney St.,

Madison, Wis.
Mason, Ronald J., 129 S. Jefferson,

Green Bay, Wis.
Maurer, Tony J., 1823 N. 4th St.,

Sheboygan, Wis.

McBeth, Donald, Route 1, Kingston, Ohio
McCabe, Edward B., 2637 S. 51st St.,

Milwaukee, Wis.
McKern, Dr. W. C. (L), 238 Purdue Ave.,

Berkeley, California



MEMBERSHIP FEES



The Wisconsin Archeologist is distributed to members
as part of their dues.

Life Members, $50.00 Endowment Members, $500.00

Sustaining Members, $5.00 Annual Members, $2.00

Institutional Members, $2.00

All communications in regard to the Wisconsin Archeological Society and
contributions to the Wisconsin Archeologist should be addressed to Phil H.



Online LibraryWisconsin Natural History Society. Archeological SThe Wisconsin archeologist (Volume 41-43) → online text (page 1 of 33)