Yale University. Class of 1867.

Report of the trigintennial meeting with a biographical and statistical record online

. (page 22 of 27)
Online LibraryYale University. Class of 1867Report of the trigintennial meeting with a biographical and statistical record → online text (page 22 of 27)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

made a most impressive and solemn prayer. A hymn by the choir closed the services at the

"An opportunity was then given for all in the Church to look at the body, and there was
poch a vast concourse of people it took more than an hour to accomplish this. The five mills,
in which Mr. Durfee was one of the chief owners, were closed, and all the operatives were
there to take their last look at one whom they had so often seen.

'■ The exercises in the Church being closed, the procession formed and moved to the
cemetery, the largest procession I ever saw. The casket was placed in a funeral car formed
of one of Mr. Durfee's carriages and driven by his own coacnman, who had been in his em-
ploy for several years.

" The remains were interred at Oak Grove Cemetery, the services there being conducted
by Re\. Dr. Hitchcock. The soft dripping of the rain from the leaves and the gentle sighing
of the wind made a mournful requiem. The dead was laid in his narrow bed, and we turned
away with sorrowing hearts as we left him alone in his last earthly resting place.

" Into the sorrows of her who laid there her only one we cannot enter. We dare not draw
the veil which should hide from the world such sacred sorrow as hers.

" Friends from all parts of the country went down to Fall River to pay their last tribute
of respect and affection to one who was worthy of all the esteem bestowed upon him. There
were many college-mates present, as well as friends of boyish days.

" President Porter and Professor Wheeler, of Yale College, were also there. Immense
crowds of people were in the streets. Never before was such a day known in Fall River.
Mr. Durfee's death called forth the best feelings and earnest sympathies of all his fellow-
townsmen. A young man of vast possessions and of great promise, one around whom clustered
the dearest find holiest ties, was suddenly stricken down in the very prime and vigor of his man-
hood, and everybody mourned the loss."


Linonia, Delta Kappa, Phi Theta Psi.



Charles Edwards, son of N. Wert Edwards, was born at Springfield, 111., July 6th, 1846.

He was fitted for College under Dr. S. H. Taylor at Andover, Mass., and entered the
Class of '67 in the Fall of '63. He left the Class in December of that year.

He was in the Army Commissary Department for two years, and then in the business de-
partment of the "State Journal" at Springfield, 111. In 1887 he was Acting Secretary and
Treasurer of the Shobert Carqufeville Lithographing Company, doing business corner Wabash
avenue and Randolph street. Chicago, 111.

In 1894 he left the Lithographing Company and became connected with the Rokker-O'Don-
nell Printing Company, doing business at 194 and 202 Clinton street.

He was married to Mary Hickok at Springfield, 111., February i8th, 1868.


Florence, born October 26th, 1872, Springfield, 111.; died February 21st, 1877, Springfield,


Brothers and "Sigma Eps."


Tyron Holkar Edwards, son of Rev. Tyron Edwards, was born February 26th, 1846, in
New London, Conn., and was prepared for college at Edwards Place School, Stockbridge,
Mass. He was a member of '67 till the close of Sophomore year. In September, 1866, he
joined '68 and was a member of that Class till near the close of Junior year.

After leaving College he taught several years in Easton, Pa., and then traveled extensively
West and South, and also went abroad. He afterwards studied law, and in 1873 began prac-
ticing as an attorney in Hagerstown. Md. Since 1880 he has been an attorney and counsellor
at law of the Supreme Court of the United States, and his specialty is Railroad and Corpora-
tion law. For several years he was Commissioner of the Court for Washington County, Md.
He is a Democrat, and has taken an active interest in politics.

In June, 1892, Yale University conferred upon him the degree of Master of Arts.

He was married February 13th. 1873, at Hagerstown, Md., to Lydia Hollingsworth Ken-
nedy, and has four children.


Katherine H., born December 7th, 1873.
Mamie H. K., born July 6th, 1875.


Lydia H. K., born April 20th, 1878.

Tyron P., born October 24th, 1880.

His wife died March 19th, 1882.

He married in 1886 or '87 the granddaughter of Simon Cameron of Pennsylvania.

He was a member of Linonia and Delta Kappa.



George Eastburn, son of Jacob and Elizabeth K. (Taylor) Eastburn, was born Septem-
ber 25, 1838, in Solebury Township, Bucks County, Pa., where the Eastburns have resided
since 1729. Before entering CoHege he served in the army in the Eleventh Pennsylvania

He was prepared for Yale by Dr. Joseph Thomas, Philadelphia, and entered with the
Class of '67. At the end of the Sophomore year he obtained leave of absence and taught a
year to replenish his finances, joining the Class of '68 at the commencement of Junior year,
graduating with that Class.

In October. 1868, he opened an English and Classical School at Broad and Market streets,
Philadelphia, with seven pupils. In January, 1870, in company with John G. Moore, he pur-
chased the private school of Caleb S. Hallowell, and transferred his pupils to the rooms for-
merly occupied by Mr. Hallowell, on Tenth street, above Arch, and there mustered about
fifty scholars.


During the Summer of 1870 he moved into a new building on Ninth street, above Arch,
and opened with increased numbers under the title of "Hallowell Select High School." As
his partner, Mr. Moore, was absent a good deal, delivering lectures upon science, he was the
recognized head of the institution. Mr. Moore died of consumption in April, 1872, and after
July 1st of that year Eastburn was the sole proprietor, Principal, Board of Trustees and
Treasurer. He could accommodate only about seventy pupils in the building on Ninth street,
and judged it necessary to obtain as soon as practicable other quarters.

In September, 1877, he opened his school at the northwest corner of Broad Street and
Fairmount avenue, where he remained for sixteen years. When he moved into his present
quarters he adopted a new name — "North Broad Street Select School."

In 1893, in compliance w^ith the request of the Alumni of the school at their meeting in
December previous, the name was changed to "Eastburn Academy."

The institution is in a very flourishing condition. Its catalogue contains the names of
one hundred and sixty pupils, and among its graduates are many who have entered the aca-
demical and scientific departments of Yale.

He was married to Mary Olden Davis, September 8th, 1870, at Philadelphia, Pa. She
died May 8th, 1873.


Holmes Davis, born May 15th, 1872, Philadelphia, Pa.

He married again July 12th, 1876, Elizabeth M. Beale, of Philadelphia, Pa.


George, Jr., born August 31st, 1877, Germantown, Pa.
Agnes Grant, born October i6th, 1878, Philadelphia, Pa.


Brothers and Gamma Nu.



Benjamin Franklin Ehrman, son of Benjamin Ehrman and Elizabeth C. (Bigler)
Ehnnan, was born at Harrisburg, Pa., March 31st, 1845.

He was prepared for College in the Woodward High School and entered the Class of
'67 in the Fall of '63.

His father, Benjamin Ehrman, graduated about the year 1840 from the Medical College in
Philadelphia, and was a practicing physician in Cincinnati until his death, in 1886. Both his
father and grandfather were physicians.

His mother was the daughter of John H. Bigler. of Harrisburg, Pa.

He left the Class at the end of the Freshman year. For a few years he was in the real
estate business, then studied law under Stanley Matthews (Senator from Ohio), and graduated
from the Cincinnati Law School in May, 1877. since which time he has been practicing at his
home in Cincinnati.


He was married to Kate L. Smith, of Cincinnati, Ohio, June 15th, 1871. She died April
i8th, 1872.


Louise, born April 17th, 1872, Cincinnati, Ohio.

She attended school at Mt. Auburn Institute, Cincinnati, and graduated in 1890. She
then took a post-graduate course of study in Lelands schools in Boston, Mass. She was mar-
ried January 3d, 1896, to George A. Thorne, of Chicago, and has one child, Virginia, born
December 5th, 1897, Chicago, 111.

Our classmate traveled in Europe during the Summers of '87, '89, '92, '94 and '96.

He was a member of Brothers and "Sigma Eps."


Theodore Henry Elmer was born in South Windsor, Conn., September 4th, 1844.

He fitted for Yale at Williston Seminary, East Hampton, under Josiah Clark and entered
the Class of '67 in the Summer of '63. He left the Class at the end of Freshman year, and en-
gaged in business in Chicago, 111.

The Secretary has never heard from him.

He was a member of Linonia and "Sigma Eps."



Brown Hopkins Emerson, son of Daniel Hopkins Emerson (Dartmouth College, 1830)
and Lucy Ann Williams (Page) Emerson, was born in Chester County, Pa., August 30th,

He was prepared for College at Phillips Academy, Andover, and entered with the Class
of '67, being a member of that Class one year. In 1864 he served nearly six months in the
army as Quartermaster's Clerk in the Ninth Delaware Volunteers. In September, 1865, he
joined the Class of '68, but left the Class at the end of the month, through failure of health.

His grandfather, Brown Emerson. D. D., was also a graduate of Dartmouth. His grand-
mother on his father's side was Mary Hopkins. She was a daughter of Daniel Hopkins, D.D.,
of Salem, Mass., and niece of Samuel Hopkins, of Hartford. Conn^ and a relative of President
Mark Hopkins, of Williams College. His grandfather was third cousin to Ralph Waldo Emer-
son. His ancestors came from England in 1700. His mother was a descendant of Roger


After leaving College he taught in New York City and vicinity, and was afterwards em-
ployed by the American Sunday-school Union during 1S69 and 1870 in the Missionary depart-
ment of New York City. He graduated from Union Theological Seminary in 1873, having
been licensed to preach by the New York Presbytery on the 21st of April preceding.
He was ordained September 30th of the same year, and preached at Ridgebury, N. Y., for
about a year. In the Spring of 1875 he settled over the Church in Litchfield, N. H. For fif-
teen years he has been connected with the mission work of the Philadelphia Tract and Mis-
sion Society. He was also assistant pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, Washington
Square, and during the Summer chaplam of the Presbyterian Hospital. He wrote a Centen-
nial hymn for the Centennial of the Ridgebury Presbyterian Church, Orange County, N. Y.

He was married, December 23d, 1869, to Miss Mary Knowles, in New York City.


Brown, born July nth, 1872, New York, N. Y. ; died April 21st, 1873, Peekskill, N. Y.
James Arthur, born February 23d, 1874. Ridgebury, N. Y.
Lucy Page, born June 13th, 1882, Philadelphia, Pa.
He was a member of Linonia.


*Walter Tilly Foster was born at Carmel, N. Y., November 27th, 1840.

He fitted for College (Yale) under Dr. S. H. Taylor at Andover, Mass., and entered the
Class of '67 October 20th, 1863. He left the Class at the end of the second term of the Fresh-
man year and for a short time was in the Class of '68.

He then went to Panama, Central America, on business, and died of fever July 8th, 1865.

He was a member of Brothers and "Sigma Eps."



Benjamin Austin Fowler, son of Benjamin Coleman and Sophia C. (Stevens) Fowler
and a brother of Herbert G. Fowler (Yale College, 1874), was born at Stoneham, Mass., De-
cember 14th, 1843. He prepared for College at Phillips Academy, Andover. In August.
1862, soon after graduating at Andover. he enlisted in the Fiftieth Massachusetts Volunteers
and joined Banks at New York, where he was detailed for special service in the United States
Signal Corps and sent to Louisiana. He was before Port Hudson from the first till its sur
render, in July, and participated in most of the battles. Upon the day of its surrender he
accompanied an expedition to Donaldsonville, which met with a severe repulse. He was
mustered out of the service in August, 1863. and came to College. After passing the first and
second terms of the Freshman year with '67, he left that class on account of ill health result-
ing from disease contracted in the army, and joined '68 in January, 1865. After graduation
he taught one year at Danvers, Mass., and then engaged in mercantile business in Boston for


about one year. From 1874 to 1878 he was agent for the purcliase, sale and leasing of real
estate in Boston. The firm of B. A. Fowler & Co., Publishers, was established in 1878. They
were publishers of "The Student's Shakespeare," which had a large sale, and of other sub-
scription books, and were the New England agents for "The International Cyclopedia." Dodd,
Mead & Co., publishers, and likewise New England agents for the Western Publishing House
of Chicago.

Until the Summer of 1888 Fowler's home was in Stoneham, Mass.. where he was promi-
nent in town affairs. He was a member of the Stoneham Board of Education from 1871 to
1876, when ill health compelled him to resign.

On May 15th, 1893, he bought a half interest in the firm of Powers Bros., of Chicago,
111., engaged in "Educational Specialties." On February ist, 1896, the firm's name was
changed to Powers, Fowler & Lewis (Yale, '66), and their place of business was changed
from 20 Custom House to 358 Dearborn Street. In 1898 he disposed of his business interests
in the West and came to Needham, Mass., where he is located at present.

He married, October 17th, 1888, Miss Ella Frances Quinby, of Medford, Mass.


Linonia, Delta Kappa, Delta Beta Chi. D. K. E. and Scroll and Key.



Nathaniel Hazard, son of William Tweedy and Rebecca Ann (Naylor) Hazard, was
born at Quincy, 111., May 5, 1848.

He fitted for College under W. C. Wilcox, of St. Louis, Mo., and entered the Class of '67
in the Fall of '63.

His father was William Tweedy Hazard, born at Newport, R. I. He was not a college
man. His occupation during most of his life was that of a manufacturer (flour mills).

His parental grandfather was Nathaniel Hazard, a graduate of Brown University (then
Rhode Island University). He was a Member of Congress from Rhode Island and died in
the Capitol at Washington and was buried in the Congressional burying grounds. His pa-
ternal grandmother, Sara Fales, was a daughter of Judge Samuel Fales, of Taunton, Mass.

His maternal grandfather. Robert F. Naylor. was born in Pennsylvania, but lived mostly
in Virginia.


His maternal grandmother was Mary Bettis Archibald, of Virginia.

After leaving Yale he attended Washington University Sophomore and Junior years, but
declined to graduate except at old Yale. He v^^ent into the wholesale drug business 1867-72;
grain and shipping business till 1879; back again to wholesale drugs till 1887, then went to
New York City and engaged in the electric stock business with George L. Wright until May,
1893. In that year he lost his ten-year-old boy, after which he retired from business al-

He married Elizabeth B. Stevens at St. Louis, Mo., on September i8th, 1878.


Grace, born September 22d, 1880, St. Louis, Mo.

Nathaniel, born November 7th, 1882, St. Louis, Mo. ; died March i6th, 1893, St. Louis, Mo.
Grace attended school in New York City from 1887 to 1893. In 1894 she studied art
(, sculpture) in the St. Louis Art School.


Linonia and Delta Kappa.


John McCrea Hildeburn, son of John Martin Hildeburn, was born at Philadelphia, Pa.,
September 24th, 1846.

He fitted for College under Josiah Clark, at Williston Seminary, and entered the Class
of '67 in the Summer of '63. He left the Class the third term. Freshman year. '

Nothing has been heard of him since.

He was a member of Linonia and "Sigma Eps."



Joseph William Hobson, son of Joseph Hobson (Bowdoin, 1837, non-graduate) and Jane
Jewell (Libby) Hobson, was born at Hollis, Me., May 12th, 1845.

He fitted for College under William Hobson, a private tutor, and entered the Class of '67
in the Summer of '63. Left the Class February, 1865.

Joseph Hobson, his father, entered Bowdoin College with the Class of 1837; left College
before graduating and engaged in the lumber business, which he followed until his death in

On the paternal side he is descended from William Hobson, who came from England and
settled in Rowley, Mass., in the year 1650. Of his descendants, John Hobson was for twenty
years a member of the Massachusetts Legislature and Speaker of the House in 1741. The
family was represented in the Revolutionary War by two members, one of whom (his great-
great-grandfather) afterward removed to Buxton, Me. Here his grandfather and father


were born. His father moved to Saco, Ale., in 1848, and was then actively engaged in the
lumber business until shortly before his death. He was several times elected to the House
and Senate of the Maine Legislature, also the first Mayor of the City of Saco.

Has engaged in the lumber business most of the time after leaving College until 1885.
Was connected with the firm of Joseph Hobson & Sons from 1882 to 1885, and for a short time
after, 1893. with the California Grape Food Company.

Moved to California in 1887 and since then has resided most of the time in San Francisco.

Was married to Celia Nixon, April 30th, 1867, at San Francisco, Cal.


Brothers and Delta Kappa.



*Henry Kent Huntington, son of Judge Samuel H. and Sarah (Watkinson) Hunting-
ton, was born at Hartford, Conn., March 27th, 1845, and died February 28th, 1897.

He fitted for College at the Hopkins Grammar School, under Samuel M. Capron, and en-
tered the Class of '66 in the Fail of '62. He left that Class and entered the Class of '67 the
second term Freshman, and left the Class of '67 first term Sophomore, and entered the
Class of '66 at Trinity College, Hartford, graduating with that Class.

Taught one year at Racine College, Racine, Wis.

The following letter received by the Secretary in 1894 will be of interest to the Class :

"New Rochelle, N. Y., Aug. 23, 1894.
"Wm. H. Morse, Secretary:

" Dear Classmate : — I do not know as I have anything especial to communicate since 1875.
I have been practicing as a physician continuously since 1873, and expect to keep at it until I


am called to a higher (or lower) sphere of usefulness. My success has been about that of
the average country doctor, i.e., I am 'fat, ragged and sassy,' and I guess am poorer than when
I began. I believe I have the respect of most of the good citizens of New Rochelle, and have no
judgments recorded against me. My family, so far as I know, has not increased or decreased.
I have been very near dying on three occasions in one j'ear. In fact, I had three kinds of
pneumonia in that year (and the next year took the "Keeley cure") and am still alive.
For the past four years I have been actively engaged as a member of the Board of Health
in suppressing nuisances, and it is now my second year as President of that body. I be-
lieve that is the only honor I ever obtained in my life.

"Yours very sincerely, H. K. Huntington."

He was married to Frances Figanierre. at New York City, September 23d, 1873.

He died suddenly of heart failure on February 28th, 1897. He was a charter member of
the Huguenot Chapter, Royal Arcanum. He was at one time practicing as a physician at
Hart's Island with considerable success. He held many positions of honor and trust.


Linonia and "Sigma Eps."


* William Bard Capron Jennings, son of John Freeman and Ellen C. Jennings, was
born in Rhinebeck, N. Y., September 17th, 1846, and was prepared for College by William
McGeorge, Poughkeepsie, N. Y. He was a member of the Class of '67 till the close of the first
term Sophomore year. He then entered the Class of '68 in May, 1865, and was with the Class
till June, 1868, but failed to receive his degree.

After leaving College he was employed as a clerk in Detroit, and subsequently in New
York City. He died of apoplexy, at his mother's home in Detroit, April 5th, 1881.

He was a member of Brothers and Delta Kappa.


*JosiAH Lee was born in Baltimore, ^Id., December 29. 1844. He entered Yale with the
Class of '67 in September. 1863, and left at the end of the Sophomore year in the Summer of
1864. After leaving the Class he engaged in business in the cities of Baltimore and New York
until his health, which had never been good, and which had necessitated his leaving College
early in his course, obliged him to give up all business pursuits. In 1868 he went with his


mother to Europe and returned the following year. Having sufficiently recruited his health,
he again entered into business, but was soon compelled to give up all employment, from a sud-
den and severe attack of hemorrhage of the lungs, which induced him in the year 1870 again to
try foreign travel. He was much benefited by his last trip abroad, and at the earnest solicita-
tion of his mother abstained from all business engagements. In the Summer of 1872 he visited
Bath Alum Springs, of Virginia. There he took a violent cold, which brought on a severe at-
tack of pneumonia and hemorrhage. Returning to Baltimore in October, 1872, he continued in
poor health, daily growing weaker, until January nth, 1873, when he died of consumption.


Linonia, Delta Kappa, Delta Beta Chi and D. K. E.


*Harpin Meigs Lum was born at New Haven, Conn., November 6th, 1847. Drowned
during the last week in August, 1866, in the Mississippi, at Prairie du Chien, Wis., while en-
deavoring to land from a steamboat. His body was recovered and the funeral took place at
New Haven a few days afterward.

He fitted for Yale at Gen. Russell's School in New Haven, and entered the Class of '67
in the Fall of '63. His was the fourth death during our College course.


Linonia, Delta Kappa. Phi Theta Psi and Psi Upsilon.


George Henry Marr, son of Robert Parker Marr, was born at Kenosha, Wis., Oct. 2d,

He fitted for College (Yale) under Professor Stone in the Kenosha High School, and en-
tered the Class of '67 in the Fall of '63. He left the Class at the close of the second term of
the Sophomore year.

For a few years after leaving the Class he was a commission merchant at Chicago, 111., but
the Secretary has not heard from him in many years.

college societies, honors, rank.
Brothers and Gamma Nu.



George William Maghee, son of Gillison ]Maghee, was born at Evansville, Ind., April
nth, 1845.

He fitted for College (Yale) under Zachariah Phelps, at Mt. Pleasant Academy, Sing
Sing, N. Y., and entered the Class of "67 in the Summer of '63. He left during the first term
of the Freshman year. He has never been heard from.

college societies, honors, rank.
Brothers, "Sigma Eps."


George Manierre was born in Chicago, 111., February 5th, 1845, and was prepared for
College at Lind University, Lake Forest, 111. He entered '67 in the Fall of '63 and remained
with the Class during the first term Freshman. He entered '68 in the Fall of '64, remaining
with the Class till July, 1867.

He graduated at the Columbia Law School in 1869, and since 1870 has been in the real es-
tate business in Chicago, 111. In June, 1893, Yale University conferred on him the degree of
Master of Arts.

college societies, honors, rank.

Brothers, Delta Kappa, Phi Theta Psi, Psi Upsilon, Scroll and Key.


ZiMRi Seth Mastin, son of Alice Ann Mastin. was born at Bernadotte, 111., September
i6th, 1841.

He fitted for College (Yale) under George Stephens at Fulton Seminary, in his native
place, and entered the Class of '67 in the Fall of '63. He left the Class during the first term
of the Freshman year. He went to Minnesota for his health, where he studied for several
months, returning to New Haven in 1865. He then entered the Class of '69, where he remained
for two terms. He then went to Europe, remaining in Germany the greater part of the time.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 22 24 25 26 27

Online LibraryYale University. Class of 1867Report of the trigintennial meeting with a biographical and statistical record → online text (page 22 of 27)