Yale University. Class of 1867.

Report of the trigintennial meeting with a biographical and statistical record online

. (page 23 of 27)
Online LibraryYale University. Class of 1867Report of the trigintennial meeting with a biographical and statistical record → online text (page 23 of 27)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Returning in 1866, he entered the Yale Law School and graduated in 1868. He then removed
to Chicago, where he studied and practiced law.

The Secretary has not heard from him in many years.

college societies, honors, RANK.

Brothers and ''Sigma Eps."



Constant Robert Marks, son of Almeron and Mary (Phelps) Marks, was born at
Durham, N. Y., April nth, 1841.

He fitted for College (Yale) under S. T. Frost at the Hudson River Institute, Claverack,
NT Y., and entered the Class of '67 in the Summer of '63. He left the Class the second term
Sophomore year.

His father and grandfather were lawyers from Connecticut, and his mother also was of
N^ew England stock.

He studied and practiced law at Pittsfield, Mass., until April, 1868, when he went West
and took up his residence in Sioux City, Iowa. He was admitted to the Bar in 1867. In June,
1875, he was in partnership with E. H. Hubbard, of the Class of '^2. This partnership lasted
only a few years, and on its dissolution in 1878 he formed a partnership with David Mould,
the firm being Marks & Mould. He is still a member of this firm.


He married H. Josephine Kilbourn at Great Barrington, Mass., June 27, 1871.


Russell Almeron, born March 2d, 1874, Sioux City, Iowa.

Constant Robert, Jr., born September 29th, 1876, Sioux City, Iowa.

Josephine Lorena, born December 8th, 1887, Sioux City, Iowa.

Russell Almeron fitted for College at the Sioux City High School, and entered Yale in
the Summer of 1891, graduating with the Class of 1895. He was admitted to the Bar in Iowa
in January, 1898; is now one of the firm of Marks & Mould.

Constant Robert, Jr., graduated from the Sioux City High School in 1896 and has gone
into business.


Brothers, Gamma Nu.


WoLCOTT Lee McKenney, son of Samuel Treat McKenney, was born at Rainbow, Conn.,
January 30th, 1843.

He fitted for College under Dr. S. H. Taylor, at Phillips Academy, Andover, Mass. He
entered the Class of 'd^ in the Fall of '63. Left the class at the end of the second term Fresh-

He studied law in Cleveland, Ohio, and in 1868 went to Chicago, 111. Shortly afterwards
he moved to Jefferson. Wis.

He was a member of Linonia and "Sigma Eps" while in College.



William Allison McKinney, son of Edward McKinney and Marcia M. (Phillips) Mc-
Kinney, and brother of E. P. McKinney (Yale College, i86x), was born August 31st, 1845,
in Cooperstown, N. Y., where his father was temporarily residing in order to look after his
business interests in that place. About a year later he returned to Binghamton, which had
long been the family home. McKinney received his preparation for College at the Phillips
Academy, Andover, Mass. ; was a member of '67 till October, 1864. and joined '68 at the be-
ginning of Sophomore year.

He was assistant editor of the Norwich "Bulletin" o"e year, and one year assistant
editor of the Hartford "Post." He then entered Columbia College Law School, where he
graduated in 1871, in which year he became Secretary of the New York State Council of
Political Reform. In 1872 he went to Europe on account of ill health, and on his return
opened a law office in Binghamton, where he has since resided, engaged in the practice of his


His office is at i8 Chenango Street and his residence at 84 Henry Street.
He was married May 8, 1880, to Mary E. Niven, at Syracuse, N. Y.


Elizabeth Niven, born June 8th, 1881. Binghamton, N. Y. ; died July 20, 1882, Bingham-
ton, N. Y.

Charlotte Niven, born November 12th, 1886, Binghamton, N. Y.


Linonia, "Sigma Eps," Phi Theta Psi, Psi Upsilon and Skull and Bones. First prize
English Composition third term Sophomore.



John Morton McKinstry, son of Rev. John Alexander (Amherst College) and Mary E.
(Morton) McKinstry. was born at Torrington, Conn., November 17th, 1844. The pioneer
forefathers of the McKinstry family graduated at Edinburgh in 1712 and came to this country
in 1718. The grandfather of our classmate lived in Chicopee, Mass. He married Miss
Grace Williams, and his fifth child was the father of our classmate. He fitted for Yale at
East Windsor Hill and Easthampton, Mass., and entered the Class of '67 second term
Freshman year and left the first term Sophomore, having been in '66 a part of Freshman year.
After leaving '67 he taught for a time in Chicopee, and also was principal of an Academy in
Richfield, Ohio. He then went to California, remaining there three years, and upon his re-
turn was one of the founders of the Forest City Wooden Ware Company. Was twice elected
National President of the Commercial Travellers' Protective Association of the country. This
office, in 1891, he resigned and engaged in fraternal work. He held many offices of trust in


various fraternal beneficial associations, and at the present time is one of three in charge of the
reserve funds of an association of 200,000 men. In the face of a large adverse political majority,
he vi'as, in 1875, elected to a seat in the City Government of Cleveland. Ohio. He at present is
Supreme Master and Grand Secretary for Ohio of the Royal Arcanum.

He married Miss Laura M. Newton, of Richfield, Ohio, on November 14th, 1870. They
have no children.


Linonia and "Sigma Eps."


Elish.\ Wright Miller, son of Charles E. Miller and Emily (Clark) Miller, and brother
of E. S. Miller (Yale College, '72,) and Charles Miller (Yale, '79). was bom at Williston,
Vt., October 29th, 1845.

He fitted for College (Yale) under Joseph S. Cilley at Williston Academy, and entered
the Class of '67 in the Summer of '63. He left the Class in April, 1864. and entered the Class
of '68 the following April, 1865. graduating with that Class.

His father was a farmer. His ancestors came from England — two brothers — and set-
tled in Springfield, Mass. They moved later to Middlebury, Vt., and then to Williston, Vt.,
where the subject of this sketch and his father were born.

The family were very prolific. His grandfather had seventeen children by two wives;
one branch of the family moved to Rochester, N. Y.. and vicinity.

His mother was born at Royalton, Vt., and her ancestors settled in Connecticut.

He studied theology at the Yale Seminary, graduating in May. 1872. In the Fall of that
j'ear he acted as Professor of Latin in the Vermont Conference Methodist Seminary and Fe-
male College at IMontpelier, Vt.

From November, 1872. until May, 1873. he preached at South Royalton, Vt. He was or-
dained on October 23rd, 1873, and has followed the ministry ever since. In June of that year
he began preaching at Hersey and Reed City. Mich. From Reed City he moved to Rockfort,
]\Iich., where he preached from 1873 to 1874. He then moved to Big Rapids, where he
preached from 1877 to 1882, then to Clinton, where he preached from 1882 to 1884. From 1879
to 1882 he was a member of the Board of Education at Big Rapids, and wrote several articles
of .secular and religious interest to the papers. For seven years, from November, 1884, to
A.ugust, 1891, he was engaged in Sunday School work in Michigan.

On September ist, 1891, for family reasons;, he retired from the position of State Congre-
gational Sunday School Superintendent for Michigan and re-entered the pastorate field. He
was pastor of the Eaton Rapids. Mich.. Congregational Church from December, 1891, to Sep-


tember, 1896. In December, 1896, he became pastor of the Carson City Congregational
Church, where he now is.

He married Carrie E. Livingston, of Ada, Michigan, July 6, 1876.


l.aura L., born November 12th, 1883, Clinton, Mich.


Linonia and Gamma Nu, Alpha Delta Phi. Oration.


John Hunt Miller, son of Hannah H. Miller, was born at Williamsburg, Mass., January
13th, 1842.

He fitted for College (Yale) under .A.ugustus F. Jones, and entered the Class of '67 at the
beginning of the Freshman year (1863). He left the Class in December, 1864, and has not been
heard from since.


Brothers and Gamma Nu.


Frank Moore, son of Reuben and Margaret T. (Riddle) Moore, was born at St. Clair,
Mich., September 6th, 1845.

He was prepared for College at Williston Seminary, and entered Yale with the Class of
'67, remaining with that Class a year and one term. He joined the class of '68 at the begin-
ning of Sophomore year, graduating with that Class.

After graduation he spent six months in a law ofFice in Detroit, and subsequently became
bookkeeper in a large lumber yard at Toledo, Ohio. In 1871 he gave up his position in Toledo
and returned to Detroit. He continued in the lumber business in that city, and afterwards in
Saginaw and St. Clair till 1879, when he purchased the St. Clair "Republican," a weekly
paper, of which he has since been the editor and publisher.

He has been twice postmaster of St. Clair, and has held that office for nearly ten years.
June 1st, 1881, he was appointed by President Hayes, and served till April ist, 1886. In
March, 1890, he was appointed for a second term by President Harrison.

He was married to Emily S. Parmelee, June nth, 1873, in Toledo, O.



Laura, born January 19th. 1875, Saginaw, Mich.
Franklin, born September 6th, 1877, St. Clair, IMich.
Margaret, born November 28th, 1879. St. Clair, Mich.
Emily, born January 4th, 1885, St. Clair, Mich.


Linonia, "Sigma Eps" and Psi Upsilon.


©R A R y






Lewis C. Nelson, son of James Martin and Margaret Jane (Wyan) Nelson, was born
at Booneville, Mo., September i8th, 1848.

He fitted for College under Frederick T. Kenifer, and entered the Class of '67 in the
Summer of '63.

His father was a banker, a Virginian by birth and a grandson of Thomas Nelson, one of
the signers of the Declaration of Independence and "Virginia's first Governor."

His mother was a Kentuckian by birth and her ancestors were of Scotch descent.

He left the Class in the latter part of the second term of the Sophomore year, and grad-
uated at the Missouri State University in the Class of '67.

He was engaged in the banking business at Booneville, Mo., until the year 1870, when he
became cashier of the First National Bank at Fort Scott, Kansas. In the Fall of 1877, he
removed to St. Louis, where he became cashier of the Valley National Bank, which position he


held a year and then went into the private banking business, under the firm name of Nelson &
Noel, Investment Brokers.

He is also interested in and a director of several large corporations and firms, among them
being one of the organizers and directors of the Laclede Bank ; President of the Laclede Land
and Improvement Company; President of the Quincy Mining Company; President of the
Nelson Land and Live Stock Company of Texas; director in the Central Missouri Railroad
Company ; director in the ^Missouri Transfer Railroad Company ; also largely interested in
real estate in St. Louis and its suburbs, and is President of the Belmont Heights Improve-
ment Company.

He retired recently from active work, although he still holds the position of Vice-Presi-
dent of the St. Louis National Bank.

He writes that he enjoys good health and spends his Winters, as a rule, in the Southern
climate, but stays in St. Louis during the Summer.

He married Alice Estell, Howard County, Mo., November 22nd, 1871. She died May
23rd, 1872, at Fort Scott, Kan.

He married Louise E. Bradford at Fort Scott, Kan., October ist, 1875.


James M., born March 7th, 1876, Fort Scott, Kan.

Lewis C, Jr., born October, 1878, St. Louis, Mo. ; died December 2nd, 1883, St. Louis, Mo.

James prepared for College at Phillips Exeter Academy, passed his examination for enter-
ing Yale in the Fall of 1892, but then went into business, being associated with his father in
the conduct of his aflfairs.


Brothers, Gamma Nu.



Frank Griffith Newlands, son of James Birney and Jessie (Barland) Newlands, was
born at Natchez, Miss., August 28th, 1848.

When quite a young man he determined to follow the legal profession. He attended
school at Quincy and Pagom, 111., and the high school at Chicago, and was trained for Yale by
a private tutor in Washington. While at Yale he devoted much of his time to literature, giv-
ing attention to the debates, and was welcome in the social life of the College. Owing to
financial circumstances, he was unable to continue his college course and left in the third term
(Junior year), although friends offered to assist him.

His father, James Birney Newlands, was born in Scotland. He was a graduate of the
University of Edinburgh and became a distinguished physician, being a man of great natural
attainments and wide experience. He first settled at Troy, N. Y., then went South, and finally
settled in Quincy, 111., where he died, leaving his family in straitened circumstances. Al-
though possessed of a fine income, he spent it all in a too liberal life. He died when New-
lands was but three years old.


Newlands' mother, Jessie Barland, was a native of Perth, Scotland, a woman of great
personal attraction, culture, intellect, and highly accomplished in music.

After leaving Yale he went to Washington, where, with the influence of Governor Gris-
wold, of New York, he secured a position in the Civil Service which enabled him to pursue
the study of law at the Columbia University Law School. Upon being admitted to the Bar
in 1869, at the age of 21, he determined to try his fortune in San Francisco. With numerous
letters of introduction he arrived at the Pacific Coast in 1870. Finding it difficult to get started,
he made himself familiar with office work and the practice of the couits, then secured desk
room in the office of a prominent lawyer. Failing to acquire business as rapidly as he wished,
he endeavored to gain a footing by volunteering to act as counsel for the defense in criminal
cases. After a year spent successfully in this work he obtained a client from Judge D. R.
Lake, the Judge before whom he practiced in the criminal court, and was also retained by
some of the prominent lawyers as assistant counsel, being given some of their simpler cases to
try. Being successful in this, his practice rapidly increased, and the second year found him with
an income of several thousand dollars and each year increasing. Among his clients might be
mentioned the Spring Valley Water Works, the Bank of California, the Odd Fellows' Bank
vs. William Sharon. Mr. Newlands continued in active practice until 1885.

During his residence in San Francisco he was always identified with movements looking
toward the improvement of the city.

During his youthful days he was a great admirer of Lincoln, but after his death, owing to
the repressive measures resorted to by Congress in its dealings with the South, he became a
Democrat. He was a member of the Executive Committee of the Democratic State Central
Committee in the Hancock campaign in 1889. In 1887 he was prominently mentioned for a
seat in the U. S. Senate, but was defeated.

In 1889 he moved to Nevada on account of the fine opportunities for enterprise afforded
by the undeveloped resources of the western portion of that State. He selected Reno as his
place of residence, and engaged in enterprises for the improvement of the State, thereby making
the population treble in a very short time. On account of large investments which were made
in the District of Columbia by Senator Sharon he has found it necessary to spend a part of
his time within the last few years at the National Capital.

Handsome residences have been constructed by the estate within the past few years, and
the erection of the town of Chevy Chase in Maryland, near the boundary line of the District
of Columbia, has resulted, this latter involving the grading and opening of streets, the con-
struction of thorough systems of sewerage, water supplies, electric lights and all other features
of a modern town.

He purchased from ex-President Cleveland, as a Summer residence, the beautiful piece of
property known as Oak View, situated about two miles from the White House and com-
manding a splendid view of the Capital City from its verandas.

He was chosen by the Governor of Nevada as a delegate from that State to the Silver
Convention which was held in St. Louis in 1889. He was made Vice-President of the Execu-


live Silver Convention. His name had been prominently before the people of the State of
Nevada for its Governor, but he had thus far preferred to be identified with measures rather
than politics, and refused to allow his name to be presented as a candidate for the office.

He was elected to the 53rd Congress and re-elected to the S4th as a Silver party man,
receiving 4,581 votes against 2,774 votes for H. L. Bartine, Republican.

On November 19th, 1874, he married Clara Adelaide, daughter of William Sharon, one of
the millionaire kings of the Pacific Coast. She died on February i8th, 1882, leaving three


Edith Marion, born August loth, 1875, San Francisco, Cal.

Janet, born September 4th, 1876, San Francisco, Cal.

Frances Clara, born October loth, 1878, San Francisco, Cal.

Sharon, born February 17th, 1882, San Francisco, Cal.; died February 17th. 1882, San
Francisco, Cal.

On September 4th, 1888, ha married Edith, daughter of Hall McAllister, for many years
the leader of the San Francisco Bar.


Hall McAllister, born February 15th, 1890, Washington, D. C. ; died February 15th, 1892,
Washington, D. C.

John Cutler, born December 7th, 1893, Chevy Chase, Md. ; died December 8th, 1893. Chevy
Chase. Md.


Brothers, Gamma Nu, Phi Theta Psi, Psi Upsilon, 3rd prize Sophomore Prize Debate,
3rd prize Declamation third term Sophomore.



Charles Augustus Parke, son of Hudson and Ann DeVVolf (Leonard) Parke, was born
at Mount Vernon, Ind., May 8th, 1845.

He fitted for College (Yale) at Crawfordsville, Ind., and entered the Class of '66 in Sep-
tember, '62. He left that Class in the second term of the Sophomore year, and was with the
Class of '67 a portion of the Sophomore year.

His father did not graduate from College, but his grandfather entered the Medical College
of Edinburgh, Scotland, and graduated there in 1802. Years after he came to Mount Vernon,
Posey County, Ind., and settled there. He was murdered on account of having a body in his
office for dissection. He left a son (the only child) two years old. He lived here most of his
life, and was engaged in dealing in grain and speculating in land.

His mother was a daughter of Rev. David A. Leonard, of Bristol. R. I.


After leaving college he went abroad in 2vlarch, 1865, remaining there two j^ears, spending
most of his time in Germany. On his return he became engaged in the banking business,
acting as cashier of the Mount Vernon Banking Company, Mount Vernon, Ind.

He married Nina Dale Owen at Mt. Vernon, Ind., May 7th, 1870.


Caroline Dale Owen, born March 23rd, 1871, New Harmony, Ind.

Ada Owen, born December i6th, 1872, Mt. Vernon, Ind.

Julius L., born November loth, 1874, Mt. Vernon, Ind.

Julius L. fitted for college at the Franklin School, Cincinnati, Ohio, and also at the School
of White & Sykes, and entered Yale in 1893 with the Class of '97, from which he was graduated
in the Summer of that year.


Linonia, Delta Kappa and Delta Beta Chi.



♦George Janvier Plant, son of George P. and Matilda W. (January) Plant, was born at
St. Louis, Mo., February 15th, 1843. Died April 30th, 1897, of cirrhosis of the liver.

He fitted for College (Yale) at Andover, Mass., under Dr. S. H. Taylor, and entered the
Class of '67 in the Summer of '63. He left this Class at the end of the second term of the
Sophomore year.

He traveled extensively out West. On one occasion in the year 1866 he ascended the
Missouri River from St. Louis to Fort Benton, and crossed the plains three times before the
Pacific Railroad was built. He resided in Montana Territory from 1866-69 inclusive; he then
returned to St. Louis and went into the milling business, with which he was prominently
identified until his death. He was President of the Plant Milling Company, which was estab-
lished in 1840 by his father, the late George P. Plant, and his uncle, the late Samuel Plant,
under the firm name of Geo. P. Plant & Co. At the death of his father in 1875 he succeeded
him as the President of this company.


In 1883 he incorporated a new companj' and built a large new mill.

For over twenty years he was a director in the National Bank of Commerce, one of the
largest institutions in St. Louis. He was an active and well known member of several com-
mercial and social clubs. He was a man of rare business judgment, intimate with few, but
devoted to his family and chosen friends. During his last illness he received the notice of the
Class meeting, at which he expressed great pleasure, and declared his intention of attending
and seeing "the boys" once more. He often spoke with great affection of various members of
the Class and his life at Yale. The esteem in which he was held in St. Louis is best made
known by the accompanying resolutions adopted by the Bank of Commerce, with which he
was so intimately connected :


St. Louis, May ist, 1897.
To the Shareholders in the National Bank of Commerce, in St. Louis :

- It is with sorrow and regret that we announce to you the death of one of your Board of
Directors, Mr. George Janvier Plant, who has for twenty-two years given us the benefit of his
rare judgment and experience, and by his loyalty to your interests has had a large share in
placing your institution in the position it now occupies.

Modest, dignified, upright, wise and liberal, Mr. Plant filled a large place in the hearts of
his associates, who now mourn his loss and realize how much his wise counsels have done to
shape the policy of this corporation.

He leaves with us the memory of a life of spotless integrity, honor and faithfulness to
every trust that will add another line to the bright record of those whose lives have maintained
our city's reputation.

By order of the Board of Directors.

J. C. Van Blarcom, Cashier. W. H. Thompson, President.

college societies, honors, rank.
Brothers and "Sigma Eps."


♦Edwin Clarke Pratt, son of Richard Pratt, was born at East Haddam, Conn., December
25th, 1840.

He fitted for College (Yale) at Williston Seminary, Easthampton, Mass., under Josiah
Clarke, and entered the Class of '67 in the Summer of '63. He left the Class in the first term
of the Sophomore year and enlisted in the Army, and died from exposure before Petersburg,
Va., in June, 1865. His was the third death in our College course.


He was one of the brightest men in the Class. Coming from Easthampton as the valedic-
torian of his academic class, he sustained a high rank while in the Class of '67, and would
easily have maintained his high scholarship if he had remained.

Nothing more praiseworthy can be said of him than that he died in the service of his
country. He lived nobly and he died a true man.


Linonia and "Sigma Eps."




*Thomas Harvey Rodman, Jr., son of Thomas Harvey and Mary Ann (Mann) Rod-
man, was born at Brooklyn, N. Y., January 5th, 1848, and died at Pelham Manor, N. Y.,
October 29th, 1892.

He fitted for Yale under Professor J. C. Overheiser at Brooklyn, N. Y., and entered the
Class of '67 in the Summer of '63. He left the Class at the end of the first term Sophomore
year, and commenced the study of law shortly afterwards.

His father was a lawyer of prominence and for years was a practitioner at the New York

He was a member of his father's law firm, Rodman & Adams, 59 Liberty Street, New
York City. He resided in Brooklyn, N. Y.

He married E. Burnham Cockle at Brooklyn, N. Y., June 4th, 1873, who survives him.



Bessie B., bom May 3rd, 1874, Brooklyn, N. Y.

Thomas H., born June 5th, 1879, Brooklj-n, N. Y. ; died May 13th, 1883, Brooklyn, N. Y.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 23 25 26 27

Online LibraryYale University. Class of 1867Report of the trigintennial meeting with a biographical and statistical record → online text (page 23 of 27)